Questions About Oiling Air Tools And Air Tool Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am not a professional mechanic. I am just the do it yourself guy. I was recently given three air tools. One vintage Ingersall Rand 1/2 impact, one Allied Pneumatics 1/2 inch impact (label says Made In Japan), and finally a 1/2 inch Blue Point air ratchet. Do I simply use any off the shelf air tool oil in these? Now to my repair question. When the Blue Point air ratchet is plugged in to air it just runs wide open. The valve seems to be stuck down thus the lever just flops around. Can I fix this free tool and if so, how?

Yes, off the shelf air tool oil. Don't over think this.

As for the repair, either a bad trigger spring or gunk/grime/corrosion in the actuating mechanism...

Trav i've never seen that stuff yet. I have a whole bunch of die grinders on a rack so I don't have to change bits all the time. Occasionally one of them will loose torque and when they do that they get I couple rounds of kroil dousche. Then I just use marvel. I'll have to try a can of that.

A lot of Air Ratchets take grease in the ratchet head, Commonly overlooked!! You will need a "Grease Needle".

Blue Point air ratchets are junk.....I wouldn't waste any time or money on one. Water is the #1 & #2 killer of air tools.

Originally Posted by Chris142
They used to recommend auto trans fluid. I bought my IR 231 around 1988. I oil it every day I use it. Its never been opened up!

I can wear out/break an IR231 in a couple years.......Fantastic Impact!!!!!

I am not trying to be wimp but blowing out micro-droplets of petroleum distillate for inhalation is not my cup of tea.
I rather vap instead or use food grade air tool oil.

Processor A Port-Validity speed Port- Validity direction Processor A Starboard-Validity speed Starboard- Validity direction

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Chris142
They used to recommend auto trans fluid. I bought my IR 231 around 1988. I oil it every day I use it. Its never been opened up!

I can wear out/break an IR231 in a couple years.......Fantastic Impact!!!!!

Possibly one of the best ever made, every company still knocks it off.

I usually dump several drops of ATF into the air coupling before, then after I'm done using any air tool. This keeps it lubricated before the job, and the internals coated to prevent any moisture damage after. As was said, don't over think this. Motor oil, ATF, 3 In 1, MMO, even WD-40, and just about anything else will work for that purpose.

Thank you all for the help. How do I figure out just for giggles what that Ingersoll Rand air impact is? I am curious from roughly what decade it is from. I do not see a model number on it but maybe I should clean it further. LOL. Oh, a content blocker blocked the link above, is this the stuff in question from the link above?

https://youtu.be/iCRxSWrMd4A

Here is an update. I have contacted Ingersoll Rand and sent them pictures. From the profile of the tool, the logo, and the 1/2 inch drive, they say it is a tool from the 1970s-1980s. The sticker or plate is not on the rear of the tool. It is either a 221 or 1705P1.

I've been dripping clean used motor oil in my air tools since the mid-1980's

I've never thought to spend any money on "special oil" when that stuff is just fine.

......it does make "chocolate milk" exhaust if there's water in the air line

Hello again everyone. I was sent more communication from Ingersoll Rand about that vintage air impact. They were made in the 1970s-1980s and mine was made in 1984. For lubrication they told me to use straight 20 weight oil in the tool and grease in its rear grease fitting. Interesting, 20W oil? Thought I would share what they said.

20W is an older recommendation for an older tool. Modern air tool oil is much lighter, ISO 32 spec which for motor oil would be 10W. Many commercial air tool oils are lighter. Modern micro sized air tools will make better power with a lighter oil.

When I had real power problems with a then-new IR Edge series impact gun, I called IR and an engineer called back and walked me through all the usual issues. Basically I was doing everything wrong. 30W motor oil, constricted old quick release, too low floor PSI on the regulator. As I went through and eliminated each problem, performance improved. Oil was the easiest so I did that first. There was a small but measureable improvement. Upping the regulator cut-on PSI helped more. Ditching the bad quick coupler helped the most. Moving to high flows was next, but I was already over my ability to measure.

1/2" ID hose with high flow couplers is what it takes to get max performance from an larger air tool, 3/4" and up guns need 3/4" ID hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back