Need advice for Brake pads and rotors for Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The early Tundras, like mine, had undersized front brakes.
You can retrofit 2005 (?) and later 1st gen brakes, which are a little larger.
Still undersized, but otherwise these trucks are real long runners.

I have not heard the same about the current generation.
I think any name brand will do; I like the NAPA Active pads, Akebono, etc.
The factory stuff is probably top notch.

I found some EBC Greenstuff on Amazon for $87 which is only a few dollars more than the OE pads, might be worth a try. I would imagine EBC would be better over the OE pads overall.

Pads:
Hawk LTS or Akebono ASP or EBC Greenstuff 6000

EBC also has "extra duty" pads, but they are expensive (over $200 a set). Only worth it if it's actually used as a truck

Rotors:
Advics from Rock Auto. Made in the US and may be the actual OE rotors

Other good rotors are EBC plain, Centric Premium, and Wagner E-coated

From my experience in buying rotors and brake pads, I would only buy Toyota OEM rotors and pads. And like was said in earlier posts, be sure and get the most expensive ones Toyota sells. Get them from a dealer to avoid fake stuff.

Originally Posted by diyjake
From what I read is that I need to try to stay away from ceramic pads because they heat up quicker?
Probably don't heat up as much as you "read" - or too much - as Toyota uses ceramic pads from the factory. Take a look at the rotors. Presuming it's a full-size Tundra (4x4, extended or 4-door cab, etc), the rotors are enormous and thick. Any rotors issues are much more likely from over-tightening the wheel lug nuts vs from the pads.

How many miles are on this truck ?

I have a very good experience with Raybestos EHT Element3 Hybrid Pads on my Sienna but not sure how they would work on a Tundra.

You might want some 90240-06024, two per side. For me they like to get rusty and then need hammering out. YMMV.

I bought the more expensive OEM pads, no complaints, but I like the EHT's work on my Camry, so I'll likely change when the time comes.

Watch out on the rear calipers, I had one seize up and they don't seem a common stock item at Autozone (that the one I did get and which was junk is an aside). If you do crack open the rear hydraulics, it might not feel correct until the truck moves, something about the setup needs movement in order to get the pedal to work properly--zero idea what it is but a local mechanic assured me that he'd seen it before.

You just can't go wrong with EHT pads, awesome pads for the price. If this was my personal Tundra I would have tried them.

I never replaced brakes on a Tundra or any other full size truck so hopefully it goes decent.

You may have to clean and reuse the old shims attached to the pads, or purchase new ones.

Do Toyota OEM pads come with the hardware?

I hope that isn't the case but I wouldn't be surprised.

If the Toyota pads don't include hardware in the box, they will be available separately.

Looking at p/n 04465-0C020, those are 4-piston (Brembo-style) pads so the only hardware is those thin tension wires. The images I see for Toyota pads don't show these wires but Wagner and Bosch provides them with their pads. From reviews at Amazon, they do not include hardware.

Last edited:
I had a gen 1 Tundra and found oem *shoes* to be far better than aftermarket in terms of stopping power and well worth the premium cost. The oem pads were less dust and more grip than akebono, though I eventually settled on Hawk Performance LTS, which added moderate dust and were as good as oem in terms of stopping power or slightly better. I tried Raybestos Advanced Technology slotted rotors, which have been great for me on other cars, but had a lot of vibration for some reason in this application. They rotors never degraded and never got worse, and they were great on another vehicle we had, but were never quite right on this truck. Hawk Pads felt great, had probably the best stopping power (this model was known for anemic brakes, even with the 4-piston front calipers which I had); akebono's were downright dangerous with a trailer behind it. Of course his Tundra is very different from mine so every pad is probably different as well, but that's been my experience.

-m

Last edited:
I hope that isn't the case but I wouldn't be surprised.

I had to get OE rear pads (started to do front and pads were good, but rotor was vibrating. So thought rear pads are pretty good too). and shims did not come in the box. Toyota has two lines: economy and OE. Considering performance of OE, I do not want to know how economy are.

Never replace the original OEM rotors that came with the truck - they are made very good. All aftermarket and OEM as sub-par.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back