15-40 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean teens are kind of where I would be uncomfortable with 15w40 cold starts repeatedly but honestly I’d just run 5w30 year round if I were you and forget about it. Your climate can rule out any oil related issues 12 months a year with 5w30

I run 15W-40 in my old 4.3. When it's freezing cold, oil pressure is about 45-50 PSI at a high idle. Once it is up to temperature, the oil pressure drops to a low of 10 PSI when idling in gear. It sure beats walking.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Its around 40 today for the high. Been in the teens at night. Would thicker oil make knock worse?

Depends on why it's knocking.

Since it seems worse in cold I'd go down a grade and see if the sound changes

The last several U-Haul trucks i have rented that were GMC Savana cutaways, all had decals stating "use 15W-40 only" contrary to the manufacturer's 5W-30 rating. I figure if U-Haul runs it in there GM V8's without problems you will be fine. IDK if it will help your engine any but based on the U-Hauls it will not hurt it either.

At somewhere around 125,000 - all of my vehicles go to HDEO. 15W-40 from there on out. Keeps them quiet and the oil consumption goes down. Been doing that for a long time
smile.gif

Do you mind sharing what was that 'well understood' underlying reason for the consumption that was suggested by somebody in this thread earlier? I am a fan of all things poetic and mysterious ways.

It was to clean the engine with Kreen. 1/2 in the crankcase and 1/2 in the fuel. Change PCV and check hose for cracks. It did pretty much stop for a while. Must be all the carbon making piston slap worse. It only does it about 1 min after cold startup. But its bad and annoying. I wemt back with the magnatech 5-30. Gonna try change ot today.

Thank you. So, it is allegedly a deposit control issue? I have never tried Kreen, but despite my scepticism I did try BG 109 EPR once on a Ford mod v8 4.6 and was amazed how well it worked. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Matt97
Same in South Africa .15w40 is not car poison !

Yep and it's not because we live in the boondocks and that's all we can get, as a few have suggested. I have ample 5W30 synthetics around me, plus many other viscosity grades such as 0W20.

It's just that 15W40 mineral works very well in my climate, and it's very affordable, even as a name brand. For example Castrol GTX 15W40, Shell Helix HX5, or Valvoline EngineArmour, all available as 15W40 and all are API SN and ACEA A3/B3.

They have just released a new GTX 15W40 UltraClean which is a semi-synthetic (as is the EngineArmour).

Those are PCMO's then we have all the dual rated 15W40 HDEO's like Delvac, Rotella and Delo.

Well I'm fixing to change this oil again. Been on the 5w30 Magnatec for long time. I'm thinking about the Delvac 15-40 to try cut down on consumption. I now have just over 230k on this truck now. Do I need to stick with a synthetic since that's whats been in it for long time?

Can't hurt to try 15W-40, especially during the summer.

Another option is try a can of MsO2...liquid-moly.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
How about trying Valvoline Maxlife 10w40, it's well known to be good at cutting down consumption and leaks.

Thanks.. I might just try it on my next change and see what happens. I have ran Maxlife 10=30 for long time before I switched to this magnatec. I looked at Rotella today. I think it was T5 5w-40 synthetic.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Id like to find some Magnatec in a 5w-40 but I've never seen it. I'm not sure they even make it..

Well they make it, but you probably don't get it in North America.

In Australia and New Zealand you can get Castrol Magnatec 10W40 semi-synthetic and Castrol Magnatec 5W40 full synthetic, both are rated API SN/CF and Euro ACEA A3/B4. The 10W40 Magnatec can often be found at a good price too

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back