what's good for leaking valve stem seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Check the drain back holes in the head,make sure they are clear and the oil isn't puddling.

That's a very interesting thought. Valve stem seal leakage isn't a real problem, per se, except that it makes a little mess when you have to burn off some oil on startup.

So, if all passages are clean and there is minimal opportunity for oil to get past the seals, maybe the actual seal problem is liveable?

Last edited:
Sure its something you can live with in a engine that vintage,i wouldn't mess with the seals but i might give MMO a shot for a full OCI.
You may find it cleans the rings and insides up a little,you may find its helps.For under 5 bucks its worth a try IMO.

replace all the valve stem seals is the only way to go.

While you are at it, check all the valve guides inner bore for wear also.

Q.

Just my opinion but doing seals on a 95 can get awful expensive and if its a V6 turn into a monster of a job.
Unless the car in question ia an exotic or pristine example it seems that pulling the head(s) to do valve guides on a 95 Camry is a bit over the top.

Toyota engines in these cars may be prone to sludge issues hence the recommendation to check the PCV and drain holes.
Toyota engines are not prone to stem seal failure.I would want to know 100% before diving into that project if i were to attempt it.

Originally Posted by tom slick
I wonder what they use in Maxlife to "restore" valve stem seals. Viton is tough stuff and almost chemical proof. From my understanding you'd destroy it with any chemicals that would "soften" or "condition" it.

Liqui Moly makes a Viton seal conditioner(Motor Oil Saver 2020) that is designed to restore the nitrile "backbones" of flouro elastomeric type seals, like Viton.... characterized by the neon green, alien rainbow colors....

Originally Posted by dilberto88
Originally Posted by tom slick
I wonder what they use in Maxlife to "restore" valve stem seals. Viton is tough stuff and almost chemical proof. From my understanding you'd destroy it with any chemicals that would "soften" or "condition" it.

Liqui Moly makes a Viton seal conditioner(Motor Oil Saver 2020) that is designed to restore the nitrile "backbones" of flouro elastomeric type seals, like Viton.... characterized by the neon green, alien rainbow colors....

9 year old thread revival alert!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RevelationLion
what's good for leaking valve stem seal? Lubegard Biotech

Other than replacing the valve stem seals some of the stop leak products may help temporarily until the seals get replaced.

I believe there was an answer right before yours so with that we will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back