Need advice for Brake pads and rotors for Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother in law needs to replace his brake pads and rotors on his 2015 Tundra and asked me for advice. I told him I never owned a full size truck so I don't have much experience with them but I will gladly ask my friends on BITOG.

For cars / vans I like to use Centric Rotors with Raybestos Element3 EHT pads and that combination seems to work good but what would you recommend for a truck? Something that stops good and doesn't warp fast because he does pull a enclosed trailer for work. From what I read is that I need to try to stay away from ceramic pads because they heat up quicker? What are some of the popular choices for a full size pick up?

Anyone have any experience with Bendix Fleet Metlok Semi-Metallic pads and Fleet Metlok Rotors?

I appreciate and welcome any advice.

Last edited:
The dealer pads are pretty good for this application. Just make sure you ask for the OE pads and not the replacement ones from the dealer. They often have two lines.

The Toyota rotors are generally pretty good too, and made in the USA by Advics (typically). Although if the Raybestos are less expensive for this application, they are usually good as well.

Factory brakes on this truck are quite good.

If the OEM parts are reasonably priced, I would go with them.

Originally Posted by drtyler
The dealer pads are pretty good for this application. Just make sure you ask for the OE pads and not the replacement ones from the dealer. They often have two lines.

The Toyota rotors are generally pretty good too, and made in the USA by Advics (typically). Although if the Raybestos are less expensive for this application, they are usually good as well.

I just looked on online and toyota only lists one part number for the brake pads. How do I tell the difference between OE and replacement pads?

If you looked at a dealer parts website, then those are likely the OE pads. Part number is probably 04465-0C020? The pads with part number 04465-AZ120 are the ceramic replacement pads that the dealers sell (you will also see them for sale on Ebay by Toyota dealers. They are usually less expensive also). The OE pads are more semi-metallic for better pedal feel and stopping, where the ceramic pads produce less dust. They are both genuine Toyota parts, but only the 0C020 pads are the OE version.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by drtyler

I just looked on online and toyota only lists one part number for the brake pads. How do I tell the difference between OE and replacement pads?

Part number 04465-0C020 is correct. Definitely staying away from ceramics, I know they produce less dust but they seems to warp the rotors quicker from the build up that they leave on the rotors.

Last edited:
Why rotors? I would guess those rotors aren't "thowaway"

Only car I changed rotors on in the past 70 cars was a VW Fox from the late 80's that had "disposable" rotor hats that were consumed by the metallic pads. I think they were 12 bucks a pop at the dealer..

Even the wife's old rotors were strong on her Suzuki Vitara at 130K miles and one pad change.

Just asking. No animus intended. The worlds is a changin!

My brother in law needs to replace his brake pads and rotors on his 2015 Tundra and asked me for advice. I told him I never owned a full size truck so I don't have much experience with them but I will gladly ask my friends on BITOG.

For cars / vans I like to use Centric Rotors with Raybestos Element3 EHT pads and that combination seems to work good but what would you recommend for a truck? Something that stops good and doesn't warp fast because he does pull a enclosed trailer for work. From what I read is that I need to try to stay away from ceramic pads because they heat up quicker? What are some of the popular choices for a full size pick up?

Anyone have any experience with Bendix Fleet Metlok Semi-Metallic pads and Fleet Metlok Rotors?

I appreciate and welcome any advice.

Based on my experience with Land Cruiser and this Sienna, I would run away from OE Toyota ANYTHINg when it comes to brakes.
I went with EBC rotors and Greenstuff pads. EBC has special line for trucks for those who tow a lot. Make sure he changes brake fluid too.

I have read a lot of negative reviews that say Tundra's brakes are junk so that was why I was looking for good aftermarket pads and rotors. Where did you order EBC stuff? I often order stuff from rockauto and didn't see EBC stuff there.

Last edited:
I have read a lot of negative reviews that say Tundra's brakes are junk so that was why I was looking for good aftermarket pads and rotors. Where did you order EBC stuff? I often order stuff from rockauto and didn't see EBC stuff there.

I cannot tell you how many rotors I changed on Land Cruiser. When I got Sienna, rotors started to vibrate immediately. I was: well, of course. Have now around 10k on EBC, brakes like a champ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Why rotors? I would guess those rotors aren't "thowaway"

Only car I changed rotors on in the past 70 cars was a VW Fox from the late 80's that had "disposable" rotor hats that were consumed by the metallic pads. I think they were 12 bucks a pop at the dealer..

Even the wife's old rotors were strong on her Suzuki Vitara at 130K miles and one pad change.

Just asking. No animus intended. The worlds is a changin!

I haven't seen his rotors yet but he says they are worn. Before I actually order stuff I will check to make sure he really does need them.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I cannot tell you how many rotors I changed on Land Cruiser. When I got Sienna, rotors started to vibrate immediately. I was: well, of course. Have now around 10k on EBC, brakes like a champ.

What type of EBC pad and rotor did you use on your Sienna? I will have to replace mine soon too.

In contrast, original rotors on my Tundra lasted 150,000 miles before vibrations. Lots of use & towing during that time.

I replaced with the OE Toyota rotors, which are still good 50,000 miles later. All but one set of pads have been the OE. They stop the truck well and I haven't had issues with brake fade.

most rotors are Chinese cast,even name brands, but other than high zoot stuff EBC made in UK + USA is good stuff IMO. upgrade my 2011 frontier's brakes using EBC higher carbon smooth rotors + slightly dusty yellow pads, very satisfied. shop around + even calling + asking for a better price worked for me.

Factory rotors and pads are quite reasonably priced. A number of Toyota dealers ship directly at a reasonable cost. Toyota of Nashua has given me excellent service. I'm sure there are others.

Not sure I'd want to experiment with aftermarket.

Sam

Originally Posted by Astro14
Factory brakes on this truck are quite good.

If the OEM parts are reasonably priced, I would go with them.
Same here, but only based on my brother's experience. He has a Tundra and he had well over 100k miles on the original brakes and said they didn't need replaced anytime soon. It's his "work" so lots of stop-and-go driving around town, pulling trailers, as well as pulling his boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back