Nasty Cabin Air Filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've noticed a light ticking from the blower motor in my newly acquired Tacoma. I figured there was a leaf stuck somewhere, but I did not expect this!

[Linked Image]

Yes, that is completely caked. There was no temporary cleaning it out at all; the amount of leaves that fell out was utterly amazing. Not sure if it's the 130K mile original, but its been in there a while! It was quickly replaced.

It did make me think to check the Camry, but it was pretty much like new, lucked out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Kira
Someone will be along with their "knock loose and overnight soak" method of revitalizing CAFs.

LOL now that's a good one.

Originally Posted by Donald
It does not rate NASTY if no mice nests!

I guess you got me there, it was just a shock to me. I've never personally seen one that dirty!

Yeah i cant imagine it being even half that to consider knocking it out and re-using. Considering air is being pulled through it and you breath it in, i never re-use CAFs

Toyota OEM filters are usually, in my experience, carbon filters, so they are black or dark grey and always look dirty, even when new.

Any vehicle parked under a tree can load up with leaves in just one Fall season.

But at 130K, and maybe some unknown history, it's a good time to change. I always spring for a carbon filter now, it's my air, I have to breath it, might as well filter it as well as possible.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Toyota OEM filters are usually, in my experience, carbon filters, so they are black or dark grey and always look dirty, even when new.

Any vehicle parked under a tree can load up with leaves in just one Fall season.

But at 130K, and maybe some unknown history, it's a good time to change. I always spring for a carbon filter now, it's my air, I have to breath it, might as well filter it as well as possible.

Yea I figured it was a charcoal filter that was in there. The old filter was legit heavy, was almost comical. I replaced it with just a standard type. I thought the AC worked excellent before, but I believe this truck has the best system I've ever owned so far!

I'll have to keep an eye on it; when it gets parked in my driveway there's a tree that drops stuff constantly.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
[Linked Image]

This is what I took from my sisters van, more than just dirty.

Was she plowing fields with that van? That's got to be the worst I've seen.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
How do leaves that big get past you cowl screens into the HVAC?

They slip between the gap between the edge of the cowl and the windshield.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
[Linked Image]

This is what I took from my sisters van, more than just dirty.

What.

The.

Hades.

What is her occupation? Street sweeper? She tows a tree shredder? Tornado chaser? Ditch witch observer? Does security patrols at a saw mill? Seasonal park ranger in the fall? Drives in a biomass road train?

Yo, LazyDog, Sun dry it (kills germs!). Knock it against your garden wall a bit. Give it the overnight soak. Let dry.

good as new!

Seriously, my personal fave is "get home AC filters and cut 'em to fit to save money. I'm all for saving anything but home AC filters are designed for a different job.

Originally Posted by Kira
I'm all for saving anything but home AC filters are designed for a different job.

Well... home AC filters are designed to filter fresh and makeup air under low pressure for heating and air conditioning, while auto cabin air filters are designed to filter fresh and makeup air under low pressure for heating and air conditioning.

How, exactly, do you perceive these as "different jobs?"

Inquiring minds need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back