Honda stealership tried to upsell during airbag recall visit

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by M1Accord
I took my Fit to the stealership for airbag recall and they told me they are running a special of free state inspection and car wash. I told them no, no, and just do the recall.

Maybe folks are reading 'quickly', so I have highlighted to help everyone that failed to read. No need to be so quick at bashing the OP.
He asked them to do recall and nothing else. Why this should be so difficult to understand? Totally get it where he is coming from.
I didn't miss that and was going to post the same basic thing you did.

You have to consider you are bringing the car in for a safety recall, if they didn't go over the car and inform you of issues they found they may be liable if something happened shortly after it was at a dealer.
Sorry but it sounds to me like you went in there with the attitude do this recall, I know you dealers are a crooked lot and you wont sell me anything. Granted I don't get all the light bulbs or PS thing but the rest of the issues seem to be totally legit and should be noted. I don't see any serious up selling going on here.

Im 50/50 on this. No to car wash should mean no. If the dealer wants to recommend services, you cant stop them, just nod no thanks a couple times and move along. My dealer does the same. I actually like the free inspection, it tells me about items I might not have noticed and I can at worst have my indy check up on it to see if its legit work to be done.

Originally Posted by Lubener
He's a service salesman trying to prove his existance at the dealership. Don't hold it against him.

Why not? He chose his profession. It's not like he was drafted.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Interesting about the tires. Most dealers don't stock tires nor do they have a way to mount them. They can balance them but not mount or dismount.

I had to replace a tire on the wifes Elantra. Car only has 3800 miles on the OEM tires.
I wanted the same OEM tire.
Discount Tire had to order it 3 to 5 days out and $103.
Plant Hyundai where i bought the car had the tire the next day for $100.
Dealer charged a total of $126.02 out the door and washed the car!
Dealers are not always thieves but you still have to keep an eye on them.

Originally Posted by M1Accord
All light bulbs - With exception of 4 interior lights which I changed to LED as soon as I drove off the lot in 2012. all bulbs are still OEM but I do have a set for everything ready in my garage.

They said you need to replace all of your light bulbs?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by sxg6
I'm curious, what makes you say that most dealers don't have the equipment to mount/dismount tires?

Because I worked at a Toyota dealer and all they had was a balance machine.

I'm bringing my Sienna to the Toyota dealer tomorrow for the airbag recall and I told them to replace a leaky valve stem while it's there. Apparently they have the equipment to do it, since they said they'd take care of it, no problem. I can't imagine any dealer not having a mounting machine. What do they do if a customer has a TPMS issue they need fixed under warranty?

Originally Posted by Trav
You have to consider you are bringing the car in for a safety recall, if they didn't go over the car and inform you of issues they found they may be liable if something happened shortly after it was at a dealer.
Sorry but it sounds to me like you went in there with the attitude do this recall, I know you dealers are a crooked lot and you wont sell me anything. Granted I don't get all the light bulbs or PS thing but the rest of the issues seem to be totally legit and should be noted. I don't see any serious up selling going on here.

Yup, there have been lawsuits about this. As long as they didn't do any work they charged you for without approval, I don't see an issue. People get all worked up here about someone doing their job, all you have to do is say "no thank you" and everyone can go back to regularly scheduled programming.

There are things to gripe about in their laundry list, and things that aren't so bad. Wipers are an easy upsell and aren't a big deal. I like to change my own every six months. We also have to remember that many people who go to dealers for whatever reason (including recalls) do nothing of their own, and being told the results of an inspection can be helpful.

What isn't helpful are non-existent services like the PS fluid (one might dismiss that just as part of a boilerplate service blurb) or the scratches.

I get all kinds of emails and letters from the dealer about when I should get my oil change and what's due on my next service, despite me never having been there for service, only for things like tires, warranty, or something I couldn't handle myself. Them trying to drum up business isn't worth getting annoyed over. The scratches, though, I'm still not impressed having simply read about it.

Welcome to the dealer thread bash of the week. Different make/model of car/different dealer (since last week)

Same old comments.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by CKN
Same old comments.....

Including yours!
lol.gif

Lol! I was thinking the exact same thing.

Someone had his cranky panties on taking their vehicle in. Have them do the recall and normal service offer you can politely decline.

I had interesting experience when I took a 12 year old 225k Subaru in for recall. The service guy said so much stuff they did not bother writing it up. Said good luck .

Last edited:

Because I worked at a Toyota dealer and all they had was a balance machine.

That is one data point I guess. Just about every major dealership up here in the Northeast regardless of brand, advertises and does on site tire and wheel replacements.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Someone had his cranky panties on taking their vehicle in. Have them do the recall and normal service offer you can politely decline.

I had interesting experience when I took a 12 year old 225k Subaru in for recall. The service guy said so much stuff they did not bother writing it up. Said good luck .

That was my thinking as well.

A dealership's sole purpose is...to...make...money, for by turning a profit, it employs dozens of people.

If you aren't interested in any of the services that the dealer is offering, simply decline.

I took my 2012 kia sorento in to the dealer for a software recall. They called me about an item that needed to be addressed, said I need a new battery as it died. I declined and they jump-started it, at least that is what they said. The thing is I just did a road trip, over a thousand miles, with no battery issues. The battery still works fine 3 weeks later. The cost including installation was about $215. The term stealership is well-earned. I guess they were adamant they were going to make some real money off of me that day. The thing is, I do take my car in there for some servicing and they should have known that. Now I am reluctant to and that's going to cost them.

Up sells are a huge pita but that happens in almost every aspect of retail. I truly detest it,but all you can do is jut say *no*.

The kind of things they recommend (you are free to decline) is not that unreasonable. I was once recommended an extended warranty because the rear view camera can get stolen very easily and quickly.

I ask them if the extended warranty will cover vandalism or theft, the sales guy said no, and then a "wait a minute" moment....

Like others have said politely but firmly tell them no get the recall done, get out of there, and the problem ends there.
Go back to using an independent shop you like and trust.

Back