Chevron rykon premium mv alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a genie aerial lift that calls for 'chevron rykon premium mv' hydraulic fluid on the tank label. Machine is about 10 years old and I want to change out all the hydraulic fluid.
According to the manual:
----
"Chevron Rykon MV oil is fully compatible and
mixable with Shell Donax TG (Dexron III) oils.
Genie specifications require hydraulic oils which are
designed to give maximum protection to hydraulic
systems, have the ability to perform over a wide
temperature range, and the viscosity index should
exceed 140. They should provide excellent antiwear,
oxidation, corrosion inhibition, seal conditioning, and
foam and aeration suppression properties."

So my question is what can I buy that is readily available that will work?

Is the fluid dedicated to a sole hydraulic system ?
If yes, a hydraulic AW 46 oil would do.
Universal tractor transmission oil may be required if a gear train is included in the circulation flow system.

Last edited:
there is only one fluid used on this machine. and it is used for the hydraulic drive motors, steering, and lift functions of the machine.

the original fluid is clear, well sorta brown now with age. not red like most dexron fluids.
what exactly is different between universal fluid vs dexron iii vs aw46?

It appears that is just a standard anti-wear hydraulic oil I would use whatever premium anti wear hydraulic oil with a similar viscosity that you can get your hands on.

Tractor fluid does not protect or perform as well as hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic system. You would most likely be "downgrading" in performance in a hydraulic only application if you made the switch.

Dex is also not a suggested fluid for a hydraulic only system. Yes, it can work, but again you would be downgrading from a premium hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic system.

Also note that the "MV" pertains to multi-viscosity...meaning it has a higher viscosity index than a straight weight oil (uses VI improvers). That means you need to keep in mind the temperature range you will be operating in, and the viscosity index of the fluid you choose to replace it with.

the way i read the 'multi viscosity' is that the fluid is a multi weight, for better cold performance.
i think i'll go with the mystik multi purpose atf. its available locally and the specs seem very similar to the genie recommended donax tg fluid.

TYPICAL PROPERTIES:
MYSTIK® MULTI-PURPOSE ATF
Material Code 633135002
Gravity, ASTM D4052, °API 33.0
Pounds Per Gallon 7.16
Flash Point, ASTM D92, COC, °F (°C) 424 (218)
Pour Pont, ASTM D97, °F (°C) -54 (-48)
Viscosity, ASTM D445,
cSt at 40°C 34.3
cSt at 100°C 6.95
ASTM D2983,
cP at -20°C 1,020
cP at -40°C 15,100
Vicosity Index, ASTM D2270 169
Color Red

Typical Physical Characteristics
Donax TG
Kinematic Viscosity ISO 3104
at 40°C mm2/s 33.8
at 100°C mm2/s 7.3
Viscosity Index ISO 2909 175
Density at 15°C kg/m3
ISO 12185 864
Flash Point COC °C ISO 2592 180
Pour Point °C ISO 3016 -48

'chevron rykon premium mv' is a dedicated hydraulic oil unsuitable for transmission use whilst Shell Donax TG and Mystik are UTTO oils.

Very good question, I used ISO AW32 in 2 of our Genies that required Chevron Rykon MV, recommended by one of our local rental place head mechanic. Now y'all have me second guessing if I went to "thin" on the oil instead of going with the ISO AW46? They have at least 500hrs since the flush and havent sprung a leak or seen any temp spikes. I haven't called Genie either to confirm whats best but since the rental place is an authorized Genie i took his word. Looks like I will call on Monday.

Industrial applications typically give a viscosity range for optimum operation. 16 cSt to 36 cSt is one I use. With an AW32 fluid, this is roughly 104F to 140F. I typically design cooling to not exceed 125F in normal conditions, alarm at about 135F, shutdown at about 145F

Originally Posted by George Bynum
Industrial applications typically give a viscosity range for optimum operation. 16 cSt to 36 cSt is one I use. With an AW32 fluid, this is roughly 104F to 140F. I typically design cooling to not exceed 125F in normal conditions, alarm at about 135F, shutdown at about 145F

Thanks George for the guides ....

Originally Posted by Newman88
Very good question, I used ISO AW32 in 2 of our Genies that required Chevron Rykon MV, recommended by one of our local rental place head mechanic. Now y'all have me second guessing if I went to "thin" on the oil instead of going with the ISO AW46? They have at least 500hrs since the flush and havent sprung a leak or seen any temp spikes. I haven't called Genie either to confirm whats best but since the rental place is an authorized Genie i took his word. Looks like I will call on Monday.

from my understanding, standard aw32 hydraulic oil has a low viscosity index, which means its temperature range is limited. i think thats why genie calls for a multi-viscosity oil, so that it flows better in cold weather use.

Originally Posted by Newman88
Ok, good info I used Sinopec ISO AW32 hydraulic oil. Let me post the "info" and see what you guys think.

https://buysinopec.com/collections/hydraulics/products/aw-hydraulic-iso-32-55-gallon-drum

if you click on the link to the data sheet, it says the viscosity index is 103
and if you take the quote from the genie manual, you want to use a oil with a minimum viscosity index of 140

"Chevron Rykon MV oil is fully compatible and
mixable with Shell Donax TG (Dexron III) oils.
Genie specifications require hydraulic oils which are
designed to give maximum protection to hydraulic
systems, have the ability to perform over a wide
temperature range, and the viscosity index should
exceed 140. They should provide excellent antiwear,
oxidation, corrosion inhibition, seal conditioning, and
foam and aeration suppression properties."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back