Time for a new filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that when running my A/C there is a slight musty/mildew type smell. This smell gets a lot stronger if I run my A/C while it's raining outside. Do I need a new cabin air filter?

I haven't replaced it since owning this car for 2 years, but if the service records are true then the p/o had it done about half a year before I became the owner. I've only put around ~12k miles on the car since I got it.

Last edited:
I just replaced the filter in my wife's car now that the worst of pollen season is over. It didn't "look" real dirty, but you couldn't see light through it. If light can't get through it, air probably has a hard time too.

OP, the musty smell can exist in the filter, and in the evaporator, and in extreme cases, inside the ducts. Get some A/C mildew killer and run it through the ventilation system, change the filter, and going forward, shut your A/C off, but continue running the fan, when you get a couple of miles from your destination, every time you drive. This will help prevent mildew growth on the evaporator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back