Four wheel drive diesel Econoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this lifted four wheel drive van in Canmore, Alberta yesterday. Looks like a 2003-2007 Ford. They did come with diesels but I don't recall them coming with four wheel drive. I had a look underneath and there was a front differential. What would folks do to achieve this, swap the body onto a Ford pickup chassis? What are the challenges?

4E8BF5D4-C7AC-4B10-A7A6-76C8E79813FF.jpeg

C4F43283-9C27-4785-B474-0C4764CC7CF3.jpeg

There are companies that do the conversions. Quigley and Sportsmobile come to mind, but I know there are others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CARJ
There are companies that do the conversions. Quigley and Sportsmobile come to mind, but I know there are others.

Yup, Quiqley is local to me and I've seen quite a few around here. I know a contractor in upstate PA that uses Duramax diesel Chevy box vans with the Quigley 4wd system for delivery vehicles. Quite impressive.

I would love to have one as a family car. I was looking for one a few months ago, but they're way too expensive, even used. I found a 2006 with something like 250k miles, it was a pretty rusty too. They were asking over $15k.
crazy2.gif
I ended up buying an AWD Toyota Sienna for way less.

These are an absolute nightmare for a parts person. Very few parts are off the shelf and not all of them are from the same vehicle. Plus you have some owners who are convinced they came from Ford that way. At least around 05 they started using Super Duty truck parts which made it a bit easier.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I came across this lifted four wheel drive van in Canmore, Alberta yesterday. Looks like a 2003-2007 Ford. They did come with diesels but I don't recall them coming with four wheel drive. I had a look underneath and there was a front differential. What would folks do to achieve this, swap the body onto a Ford pickup chassis? What are the challenges?

It's great to see Mt Ha Ling in the background. Very distinctive, and a delightful hike. Was this in the parking lot at the visitor centre?

Originally Posted by Number_35

It's great to see Mt Ha Ling in the background. Very distinctive, and a delightful hike. Was this in the parking lot at the visitor centre?

Yes! Good Eye!

Sportsmobile is still building these on Cutaway chassis... They are not cheap though.

Edit: and I'm not positive you can get a Diesel?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Sportsmobile is still building these on Cutaway chassis... They are not cheap though.

They would be gas only if using an Econoline chassis. The E-series never got the 6.7 diesel that I have seen.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

They would be gas only if using an Econoline chassis. The E-series never got the 6.7 diesel that I have seen.

Ford E series Diesels
92-93 7.3 IDI Navistar
94-2003 7.3 Powerstroke
2004-2007 6.0 Powerstroke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E_series

Last edited:

Ford E series Diesels
92-93 7.3 IDI Navistar
94-2003 7.3 Powerstroke
2004-2007 6.0 Powerstroke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E_series

That is actually incorrect. The E-Series had the 6.0 diesel through 2010 model year. The F-series trucks got the 6.4 in 2008MY although the production started in early 2007.

Originally Posted by Garak
Am I correct in that they kept the 7.3 longer than the trucks did, too?

2003 was the last year just like the trucks. Although depending on the assembly date, a 2003 F-Series could have either a 7.3 or a 6.0L. Now which one is a better engine makes for an interesting argument.

2003 was the last year just like the trucks. Although depending on the assembly date, a 2003 F-Series could have either a 7.3 or a 6.0L. Now which one is a better engine makes for an interesting argument.

That is what I must have been thinking about. Now, as to which is better, is there really an argument?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak

That is what I must have been thinking about. Now, as to which is better, is there really an argument?
wink.gif

Personally I would buy a 6.0 over a 7.3 anyday. But then again, I know all the issues and the fixes for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back