Wrist Watches again?

I love talking about wrist watches. Sometimes I can't help myself and I have brought up the subject 2x in the past.

Lately, I have been into the simple 3 hand function watches. Maybe 4 hand(GMT) w or w/o day or day/date. Preferably automatic or manual hand wind however, quartz is not out of the question but, I'm not referring to digital is for now.

I just installed another battery(CR2016) in a TIMEX Expedition w/Indiglo at the crown function. And same battery in an old(25 yr ol) Ironman Triathalon Digital(not the subject here). I bought both batteries(lithium) at the $1 Store for 2pc/$1, exp.date 2021. These batteries in both watches seem to last near 10 yrs in my experience. I've had both watches for many years.

Anyway, it's the Timex Expedition that is the subject as they have these field watch look to them similar to the Hamilton Khaki(which I love) but, at a much, much lower price point. Cheap but, last forever it seems and all without issue or servicing but, why would anyone service an inexpensive time piece.

How about you, any comments on the simple watches regardless of cost/price? Sure, we can talk about the Rolex Explorer!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Citizen Eco-Drive is my personal favorite. I've owned a Seiko self winding watch and it was fine for a while, until it quit. Timex and other cheap brands just don't last very long for me.

I wear a cheap Timex for everyday as I garden a lot and don't have to worry about scratching it up. My dress watch is a Citizen Eco-Drive.

My nearly 20 year old Seiko. It's titanium, and so weighs very little. It's seen a lot. It's about 36mm. Very simple even though it's a chronograph.

[Linked Image]

The Seiko that I had was a good watch for around 5 years until something went wrong internally. My guess is that the self winding mechanism went bad. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on repairs that may or may not fix it. I just replaced it with the Citizen. I like the fact that the Citizen is powered by light and it is synchronized with the atomic clock out in Kansas. It is set up to automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time. I have never had to set the time.

I have two Movados that I can no longer wear because over the years, my hands have gotten meatier (thanks for the genes, grandpa!
lol.gif
) and can no longer fit thru the band even when unlatched. I bought myself the solid tungsten one when I finished my Bachelor's, and an all black Series 800 chronograph when I finished my Master's. I'm thinking because of this I may just give them to my son when he gets a little older and I'll have to go back to buying watches with 2-piece bands. These days I've just got a Fitbit Ionic and it does everything I need from a watch, nothing flashy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Astro14
Now, you've done it! You make me want to get out my old Seiko and send it in for repairs. Mine is very similar to the one you have pictured. Mine is stainless steel and came with a similar style wristband. It has the black face but, it is not the chronograph. It only has the sweep second hand.

Last edited:
MParr - I've gone through a few batteries on that watch. You can tell from all the scratches that it was worn every day. Still is worn every day for casual wear and when I want a watch while working outside or on cars.

A faithful, durable companion.

cheers3.gif

That titanium really scratches easily but is super light on the wrist. The crystal looks to be in decent shape from the pic. Is it Seiko Hardlex or sapphire?

Wrist watches seemed to getting less popular for the under 30 crowd, then game along the Apple watch and similar ones.

My requirements for a watch are waterproof, very accurate time and no winding or recharging or yearly battery replacement. That leaves out the Apple watch and similar.

My current favorite watch is a Seiko that is solar powered and picks up a time signal over the air at 2 AM to adjust its time to be near perfect. I sometimes go months without taking it off.

My dress watch/weekend watch is a flat black fossil my girlfriend got me for our 1 year anniversary, engraved on the back.

For work I wear a first gen Moto 360 smartwatch, gift from her parents at Christmas. They won it at a golf tournament and it sat in a closet until they could think of someone to give it to. I hope I don't break it working (land surveyor), it's very handy for quickly checking texts without looking at my phone. Also replying to texts is fairly reliable (if there is nobody watching to see me talk into my watch) lol.

20190429_073717.jpg

One of my favorite watches is my Citizen " The Citizen" with the washi dial.

Most of my watches are 3 handers. I like the simplicity, especially these days when so many features are packed into everything.

I also wear my early 70's King Seiko's a bunch. And a couple of Accutrons

Fitbit CHARGE3. Waterproof when I'm in Aqua class, auto time/date set, counts my steps, measure my sleep functions and a host of other things for $120. I gave up on regular watch just to impress others. Ed

Originally Posted by spasm3
What type of wrench do you guys use for screw back watches?

Several yrs ago, I bought the 3 prong adjustable w/long handle watch case back(screw in) removal tool from Harbor Freight for about $5. It's all SS and quite heavy/well made. It has 3 different styled bits. I'd also like to get a 2 prong type that fits in the palm of hand to unscrew the case backs as the HF one is a bit overkill but useful.

I need more watch working tools such as a case holder and a crystal press, which can also be used for those really difficult to press on, case backs. I have an old Longines 3 hand watch along w/ 2 other watches that have a very difficult case back to press on without a press. I have made my own modified tools that works Hmmmm, OK. The case backs are easy to remove but a B!+c# to reinstall w/o a press.

I have some tools such as several different sets of jewelers screwdriver and SS band/strap removal tool(s) & steel band adjustment tools(some I've made/improvised). I don't want too many tools because my knowledge/skill of the internal watch movements is limited, I know more about them technically but, not enough to work on them with my brain and a steady hand. And that's fine!

Last edited:
I have a related "challenge" for you all.

Go to a pawn shop in any larger town and ask to see their watches. I bet they'll all be bland at best.

While I'm not any kind of watch maven I appreciate any well designed thing (and I think I have good taste).

The good ones move on.

I have seen a lot of junk watches at these pawn shops. However, I have, though it's infrequent, scored a few nice finds for $6-$15 such as an old vintage Timex Self-Wind or vintage Seiko Automatic 17-21 jewel. Just needed some polishing/cleaning love and new straps.

Back