Anybody getting tired of South Main Auto?

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Nope, not tired at all. When you do the same thing day in and day out you probably want to be a little different each time to keep the audience entertained. I think that's exactly what he was doing with his Brake Caliper Cover video. He's just trying to come off as amusing. Some people see it, some don't.

I know he's done more then enough brake videos, but a recent one that I was watching was where he was doing a rear disc brake job. Never having done that I did learn something.

Originally Posted by jhs914
. How do you guys in the rust belt put up with scrapping otherwise serviceable cars/trucks every few years because of rust?

NO LIE!

There's a LOT of vehicles in Texas with 500,000 miles on them and no rust at all.

My 1993 Ford Ranger and 1995 Chevy K3500 dually 4WD have zero rust. NONE.

Both have ~300,000 miles Not a speck of rust anywhere.

Even all the "unpainted" suspension components have barely any surface rust at all....

Originally Posted by Linctex
. How do you guys in the rust belt put up with scrapping otherwise serviceable cars/trucks every few years because of rust?

NO LIE!

There's a LOT of vehicles in Texas with 500,000 miles on them and no rust at all.

My 1993 Ford Ranger and 1995 Chevy K3500 dually 4WD have zero rust. NONE.

Both have ~300,000 miles Not a speck of rust anywhere.

Even all the "unpainted" suspension components have barely any surface rust at all....

In my parts we Krown the vehicles every year and they last. Santa Fe was rust free when it went to the scrap yard, so was my 1980's Caravan with almost 500k KM on it.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i watch all the time. the brake vids are kinda nothing, but the diagnosis and problem solving in engine and electronics is worth the watch. he has close to 300k subs so he is making bank. maybe more than working at his shop.

"Eric the Car Guy" quit doing actual repair work, i.e. running his repair shop, and does YouTube videos as his full-time job. He does have 1.2 million subscribers though....

Watching him struggle with rust makes me appreciate living in the south. How do you guys in the rust belt put up with scrapping otherwise serviceable cars/trucks every few years because of rust?
I've watched videos where folks in California pull a wheel off, remove the caliper/bracket, and the rotor almost falls off and roll my eyes. Here, get out the rubber mallet and start swinging ! Still not budging ? Spray it with some penetrant and go work on the other side or just wait.

We don't have to replace cars "every few years" because of rust either. We've got a 20 year old Accord that our daughter drives to/from school. It's got 10x the amount of missing clearcoat than it has rust.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I watch every South Main Auto video and I haven't noticed him being arrogant at all. There are several automotive YouTube channels I subscribe to and I typically watch every new video that comes out on those channels. Why do I watch them? I seldom watch TV anymore and I usually watch YouTube instead. I find these videos entertaining and educational. I used to watch automotive stuff on TV too, like the Power Block/Power Nation on the Paramount network. I don't really watch that anymore as I'm too busy on weekends to tune in. I've been watching automotive content one way or another for over 15 years.

I like Eric because he's a great mechanic, and I love his sense of humor and the "catchphrases" he uses all the time. The things you apparently perceive as arrogant.
21.gif
The brake job videos are starting to get repetitious, but that's my only complaint. If you don't like him, perhaps...stop watching?

Originally Posted by exranger06
I have no idea what you're talking about. I watch every South Main Auto video and I haven't noticed him being arrogant at all. There are several automotive YouTube channels I subscribe to and I typically watch every new video that comes out on those channels. Why do I watch them? I seldom watch TV anymore and I usually watch YouTube instead. I find these videos entertaining and educational. I used to watch automotive stuff on TV too, like the Power Block/Power Nation on the Paramount network. I don't really watch that anymore as I'm too busy on weekends to tune in. I've been watching automotive content one way or another for over 15 years.

I like Eric because he's a great mechanic, and I love his sense of humor and the "catchphrases" he uses all the time. The things you apparently perceive as arrogant.
21.gif
The brake job videos are starting to get repetitious, but that's my only complaint. If you don't like him, perhaps...stop watching?

^This.

YT changed their ranking and monetization algorithms not to long ago. "Creators" think they have to be constantly posting new videos if they want to stay visible. I think this is why you are seeing a lot more fluff on once very specific channels.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Never heard of it/him. So no, I'm not tired of it/him, and don't care one way or the other.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Not just that, but I don't watch ANY of the other ones everyone on here either loves or hates either.
lol.gif

I will go to a CAR SPECIFIC forum if I need help/advice with a given car problem/project, as regular old daily life in this land currently provides ALL of the 'entertainment' I would ever need.
wink.gif

I haven't noticed any changes in Eric's behavior, I don't think he's arrogant at all. I'd be curious to know specific examples of where you think he's being arrogant.

I enjoy South Main Auto. I don't watch it like a tv show. I use it as a reference when I need help with a repair. I haven't notice any behavior changes. He could act like a real life Ric Flair as long as he shows me how to fix my vehicles.

I see it as confidence.

As far as I know, we see what is happening. No edits to take out the gaffs. We see when "big nasty" didn't get the job done, etc.

To me, he comes across as confident and competent. If other shops are sending him work they cannot figure out, he must have some skills.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
He's a real good mechanic, but he's getting more and more prideful and arrogant with every passing video. All the success has swelled his head up.

Yep .

I figure many / most mechanics do not wish to take the time and effort to educate himself / herself , to diagnose / analyses / understand automotive controls . ( Parts changers . )

In our trade , many want nothing to do with controls .

Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted by das_peikko
He's a real good mechanic, but he's getting more and more prideful and arrogant with every passing video. All the success has swelled his head up.

I didn't really get hooked on his videos until recently, but I've watched many from ~4yrs ago up to ones just posted days ago and I'm truly amazed by the guy.

Perhaps I've missed this, but I don't understand how this all works. Does making these U-toob videos generate cash for him? You'd hope so given the 100's of hours worth of videos he's posted. It's got to slow him down.

Pretty sure I've never come across a mechanic who is so willing to dig so deep in troubleshooting and then repair normal every day beaters so thoroughly. All without just swapping parts! Blown away by this.

Last edited:
Yes, he gets a cut of the advertising revenue from the ads you see. You gotta get a LOT of viewers to get enough to matter.

He's good, but I'd put my local mechanic against him any day.

Back