Grease for Mower Deck Spindles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the rest of you using to grease your mower deck spindles? The manual for my JD D140 simply states "NLGI #2," but that still leaves a lot of options. I can't recall what I used for the first four seasons, but it was blue. I've started off this season with Lucas Rend and Tacky. Some of the other forums suggest a lithium grease, others don't. At least one forum mentioned that the bearings were sealed and that it really didn't matter. Why would the manual say to grease the spindles ever 25 hours if it didn't matter?

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
............ At least one forum mentioned that the bearings were sealed and that it really didn't matter. Why would the manual say to grease the spindles ever 25 hours if it didn't matter?

Because on some mowers, MFG'ers put Zerk fittings on in order to satisfy customer complaints about no places to lube. So they install them, and the only think it fills with grease is the cavity between the sealed cheap bearings. My older Murray Rider was like this.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Because on some mowers, MFG'ers put Zerk fittings on in order to satisfy customer complaints about no places to lube. So they install them, and the only think it fills with grease is the cavity between the sealed cheap bearings. My older Murray Rider was like this.
I've read that elsewhere as well. Does this mean there is no reason to grease the spindles?

I think that any grease that meets the NLGI#2 will give you good service. I get grease from Tractor Supply for mine. Can't remember the brand also used I think Lucas from Walmart in the past. I have a 62" deck. All works good.

My now over 20 year old deck was first greased with whatever generic brand I had at the time, lithium complex NLGI2. Next I had Mobile 1 synthetic red #2 in the grease gun and used that. Next I had Valvoline synthetic #2 w/moly in the gun and used that. I am happy with the results, it still mows.

I've read that elsewhere as well. Does this mean there is no reason to grease the spindles?

like I said, depends on the unit.

like I said, depends on the unit.
Okay - so I will keep greasing the spindles, but I don't feel particularly good about it.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
You could always take one apart and see what's going on.
I think the general rule of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. I would be curious to know what the expected life span of these spindle are.

What I have done in the past is remove the inside seal to the bearing, so when greasing the fitting the bearing actually gets grease, not just the shaft and cavity. The first couple mow's I use a few pumps each after its full, then once a year after. Bearings have lasted longer using this method. Before I upgraded to a commercial mower I was lucky to get one year out of the bearing on my 42" Cub Cadet Home Depot special.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
What I have done in the past is remove the inside seal to the bearing, so when greasing the fitting the bearing actually gets grease, not just the shaft and cavity. The first couple mow's I use a few pumps each after its full, then once a year after. Bearings have lasted longer using this method. Before I upgraded to a commercial mower I was lucky to get one year out of the bearing on my 42" Cub Cadet Home Depot special.
Thanks for the reply. Presently I have four years and 120 hours on the D140 with no signs of a spindle problem.

Any grease is better than no grease. I changed a belt for my neighbor the other day. I brought my grease gun to grease The spindles, Cub Cadet.

I changed a spindle for them years ago, since they about never greased them.

I cut 120 yards a week and for 25 years never had a spindle go. One of the many reasons i am a Big fan of TRC Texas Refinery 880 Crown and chassis grease.

Big fan of the Whole line.

Steve Is the Oil Guy

What are the rest of you using to grease your mower deck spindles? The manual for my JD D140 simply states "NLGI #2," but that still leaves a lot of options. I can't recall what I used for the first four seasons, but it was blue. I've started off this season with Lucas Rend and Tacky. Some of the other forums suggest a lithium grease, others don't. At least one forum mentioned that the bearings were sealed and that it really didn't matter. Why would the manual say to grease the spindles ever 25 hours if it didn't matter?

I would think go with NGLI #2 should be fine. To me anything that works for wheel bearings would work on spindles. I use AMSOIL's multi purpose grease.

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
I've always used Mystik JT6 hi-temp red grease. Never had any issues and you can find it just about everywhere for under $5 a tube.

L8R,
Matt

My number one choice for marine, automobile, and outdoor power equipment is Chevron Delo EP #2. A very close second is Mystic JT-6 Hi-Temp. Either is an excellent choice.

I have been using just cheap multi purpose grease ( NGLI #2) once a year on my 1984 rider since it was new. I never had a problem with the spindles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I have been using just cheap multi purpose grease ( NGLI #2) once a year on my 1984 rider since it was new. I never had a problem with the spindles.
Wow! They don't build 'em like they used to do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back