What do you use to protect your pets from fleas/ticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revolution from the vet. Also protects against heartworms , ear mites, and intestinal parasites, at least in cats. Expensive but it works.

I don't give our little guy anything. He lives in the house with us. He gets a shampoo weekly because he sleeps in our bed. And he only goes outside to do his business, then he's right back in. He's never had any parasitic issues as a result.

Originally Posted by jhs914
Revolution from the vet. Also protects against heartworms , ear mites, and intestinal parasites, at least in cats. Expensive but it works.

This … nothing but Vet Rx … she will not consider OTC for (indoor) dogs …
… but ironically OTC is what the outside cats get …

Revolution from the vet.

It is my understanding that REVOLUTION is not effective for several types of TICKS.

And I quote from REVOLUTION

There are other common species of ticks that are not killed or controlled by REVOLUTION.

Last edited:
Been using Happy Jack Kennel Dip 2 to dip my three dogs every couple weeks. Can't use it on cats. Got tired of paying for all the over priced topical products that work some times and other times not.

One ounce(two tablespoons) to 2 gallons of water on the label directions. I mix one table spoon(1/2 ounce) to one gallon of water. Mix it up in a plastic storage bin, and then use a cup to dip the dogs while they sit in the storage bin. My biggest dog weighs 25 pounds, and the other two are under 10 pounds.

16 ounce bottle costs me $32.49. Tractor Supply stocks the 8 oz. bottles.

Sothern States Happy Jack 2

We've given out Pitbull Bravecto since day one. Went hiking through a very heavily wooded area and found 2 ticks on him but they didn't bite. Just sat on his fur. Flicked them off and good to go. We've been using this with him for about 3 years now.

It works fine for our ticks here in Florida. Yours may be different.
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Revolution from the vet.

It is my understanding that REVOLUTION is not effective for several types of TICKS.

And I quote from REVOLUTION

There are other common species of ticks that are not killed or controlled by REVOLUTION.

It works fine for our ticks here in Florida. Yours may be different.

our three dogs have worn seresto collars for years..they arent as powerful as chemicals, but are very effective without introducing chemicals into your dog. ours are only outside for walks in town or playing in our backyard. they would need more for hunting or being outside all day perhaps..wife recommends these to her dog clients quite a bit and customers report good results.

https://www.bayerdvm.com/products/seresto-for-dogs/

I rub the dogs' coats down with diatomaceous earth; it's good for keeping all insects from calling them "home". I also mix a teaspoon in their food at one of the mealtimes three times per week. It takes care of internal stuff as well. Only bad thing about rubbing them down is: 1. it's messy, so it has to be done outside, and; 2. If their coat gets wet, you must reapply the DE after they dry because it washes off easily. It's also really good for their coats, skin, etc. because it's got a high percentage of silica. Other good thing is you're not stuffing your pet full of drugs just like doctors want to do to us!

You can usually find 10-lb bags on Amazon for $19-23 delivered and it will last a LONG, LONG time if you're just using it for pets. But it's also helpful to use a teaspoon a day for yourself also!

We've used Red Cedar Oil for 10 years. We use the shampoo and spray. I've never seen a flea on pooch. He had 1 tiny tick once. He's not around other animals often, but does stay at kennel with many dogs/cats while we are on trips.

https://tickencounter.org/ticksmart/tips

Here's some good info on the little nasties and how to deal with them . I never knew they can survive a hot swim in a washing machine.
I found those Sorresto collars really work well on cats. Our cats have a few on them nearly every day April to November The collars go on and we never see a one after that.

Originally Posted by billt460
I don't give our little guy anything. He lives in the house with us. He gets a shampoo weekly because he sleeps in our bed. And he only goes outside to do his business, then he's right back in. He's never had any parasitic issues as a result.

Until you have neighbors who have pets infested with fleas. Never had a issue then moved into our house and the neighbors dogs are covered in parasites. Now my dog always has fleas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back