Crawfish Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by doitmyself
It seems that down under in Australia crayfish refers to lobster? Check out the youtube videos "Australian crayfish"

In Australia they call them YABBIES.

Yeah i had the yabbie net in the creek out the front yesterday to demo them... usually inly get ine ir two but none yesterday.

Lobster down here dont have the big claws.

Yabbies have two even sized claws but we also have marron in some regions (not here)...and freshwater crays up in the swamps.

https://bmnature.info/fauna-crayfish.shtml

Its surreal dri ing at night and seeing a flourescent glow in the distance while a yabbie crosses the road

Shannow, your average everyday Yabby puts our everyday average crawfish to shame. The crawfish I was eating (in the pics) are that big because they are "SELECTED BIG" out of all the crawfish caught. They always bring top $$$$$.
For instance, select crawfish are selling for an average of $3 lb. Non select (medium-large) get anywhere from $1.25-$2.39 lb. But remember, we still have 2 months left of crawfish season. The farmers are going to try and get every penny they can.
When I was younger (15, 16, 17 years old) we were only getting .20 cents to .25 cents a lb. The vendors were turning around and selling them for .70-.85 cents a lb.
I know people make a living by crawfishing, but the days of buying them for near nothing are long gone.
BTW Shannow, do y'all eat your Yabbies like we eat our crawfish here? AKA-Sucking the heads.

I wish I could get live crawfish around here for a decent price. To make matters worst it's now tough to get Apalachicola oysters.
frown.gif

Last edited:
In my younger years doved for/ ate main lobster and you could buy lobster bodies for a quarter at the lobster shacks. Now it's just too expensive. Here in Northern NM we can jig for crawdads in the Rio Grande and if you're patient, can get a few lbs in an afternoon. Hotdog chunks work best.

May not be in cajun country, but we love em up in the northland too! (Must be our scandinavian heritage...)

Labor day weekend snack__  Lake Vermilion lobster___(1).jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
Lobster used to be considered junk...there were rules for prison inmates and service staff how many times per week you were limited to service it...

https://www.10best.com/interests/food-culture/how-lobster-went-from-prison-trash-food-to-delicacy/

Funny how that works. Southern BBQ was once slave food. Chicken wings were once for the stockpot now they're the most expensive part of the chicken. Redfish were trash fish.

I just lol in agreement when people turn their nose up at mullet. Hopefully it never turns the corner.

Originally Posted by hatt
Lobster used to be considered junk...there were rules for prison inmates and service staff how many times per week you were limited to service it...

https://www.10best.com/interests/food-culture/how-lobster-went-from-prison-trash-food-to-delicacy/

Funny how that works. Southern BBQ was once slave food. Chicken wings were once for the stockpot now they're the most expensive part of the chicken. Redfish were trash fish.

I just lol in agreement when people turn their nose up at mullet. Hopefully it never turns the corner.

We used to use mullet for crawfish bait when we didn't have beef melt.
When I moved to FL. in 1987 I saw that the locals were crazy about smoked mullet. I tried it, but it tasted too fishy.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by hatt

We used to use mullet for crawfish bait when we didn't have beef melt.
When I moved to FL. in 1987 I saw that the locals were crazy about smoked mullet. I tried it, but it tasted too fishy.

Yes. It's terrible. Never try it again. Whatever you do don't dip filets in Alabama King corn meal and fry it. So gross.

Last edited:

It was much the same here in eastern Canada. A friend of mine told me that, back when he was a kid in Newfoundland, anyone who brought lobster to school for lunch was made fun of as a poor kid. Back in those days, here, it would cost a king's ransom.

There's a cajun restaurant here that serves up pan fried catfish with crawfish tails in a white wine sauce over dirty rice. One of my favorite meals ever.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
There's a cajun restaurant here that serves up pan fried catfish with crawfish tails in a white wine sauce over dirty rice. One of my favorite meals ever.

WOW! That sounds delicious!
20.gif

Spent the weekend trying to catch some yabbies...have to use open traps, as tube type or Opera House traps are illegal in platypus country.

Alas...none took the bait, or they buggered off seeing a shadow on the bridge.

I had some big crawfish (and huge oysters) near Houma La …
but not close to the size I've had in St John's Newfoundland …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back