CEL - 2018 Elantra 11k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to drive my car today and the CEL came on. I scanned for codes and it's a P0302 - cyl 2 misfire. Yikes! I've scheduled an appointment with the dealer but they're unfortunately 30 miles away.

Is it safe to drive a misfiring car that far? I will ask Hyundai Roadside Assistance about towing but does anyone have experience with how far they usually tow?

Hopefully, it's something simple like a bad plug or coil.

Have it towed. If misfire is severe then converter will overheat and possibly catch fire. I wouldn't drive 30 miles and risk it. However if you are sure that misfire is temporary then you might want to chance it and stop when light starts flashing.

I have read some people having bad plug or coil, but mileage was more than yours. It seems like Hyundai is hit and miss, no pun intended. My 2017 SE at 17k is smooth as butter. Good luck!

Originally Posted by LotI
Easy...

If the light is flashing, tow it. If it's solid, drive it.

Agree

Update: The CEL randomly turned off but the code was still stored in the system. Since it was off, I just drove to the dealership. Tech said coil #2 was bad and swapped it out under warranty. I was in & out in less than 90 min, including carwash
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back