Only in California - minivan fuel hauling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by vw7674
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
How much can you carry before it requires a placard?

max load weight for a minivan is around 1450-1600lbs,
he's over gross by 1/4 ton easy.

WHAT minivan has that load weight?

I'm a semi mechanic and was told by instructor that diesel is harder to put out than a gas fire. Looking back how much other dumb crap he told the class, I should have known better.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'm a semi mechanic and was told by instructor that diesel is harder to put out than a gas fire. Looking back how much other dumb crap he told the class, I should have known better.

Diesel is hard to put out if you use water. I learned that from spending a week at Navy Firefighting training on Treasure Island in the Bay Area. Multi level concrete bunkers were filled with diesel and set ablaze. The setup was to mimic a shipboard fire complete with metal grate decking. After trying with water then we used foam. Big difference.

I'm guessing they don't do that anymore because of the pollution.

Lots of military bases have bad pollution problems because that foam contaminated the ground water.... not to mention all the jet fuel and industrial degreasers seeping into the ground.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Dodge Caravan is around 1,500lb payload. Sienna appears to come up at 1,200 to 1,500. Odyssey at 1,400 to 1,600.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Lots of military bases have bad pollution problems because that foam contaminated the ground water.... not to mention all the jet fuel and industrial degreasers seeping into the ground.

I live near Fairchild AFB (Spokane, Wa.) and there are numerous domestic wells contaminated by exactly what you are talking about. Endless lawsuits too. Been going on for as long as I can remember.

How about this. I wonder how far he would have made it before the fumes knocked him out....or exploded.
sleep.gif

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Cops-New-York-man-filled-30-buckets-with-gas-in-4008927.php

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 1.18.38 AM.png

Originally Posted by skyactiv

When i worked service stations and for our annual training in first responders at tge power station, gas is pretty hard to put out even with foam, as its boiling and volatis8ng and you oftem get a vapour fire flash aling iver the foam.

Diesel stays put in that example.

Yep plai water is nearly useless for both unless really really finely atomised to pull the heat out as well as having the mist reduce the oxygen levels.

That last point testing water mist suppression systems breathing is quite hard

Originally Posted by Blaze
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

I live near Fairchild AFB (Spokane, Wa.) and there are numerous domestic wells contaminated by exactly what you are talking about. Endless lawsuits too. Been going on for as long as I can remember.

PFAS - another dupont success story.

Originally Posted by Shannow

PFAS - another dupont success story.

My wife's cleaning that stuff out of the ground... the drillers who help her sample for it aren't allowed to eat fast food as the wrappers have trace amounts.

Originally Posted by edyvw

A dodge caravan does - up to 1642 LB.

UD

I don't remember the exact name of the foam we used back in the seventies but it came in sealed buckets and we used an eductor attachment inline with the fire hose. The stuff was gawd awful smelling. This was onboard a ship.

That smell was the worst thing ever. When we crossed the International Dateline and us pollywogs had to go through the initiation rites we had to crawl through this stuff as part of the setup.

I never heard of PFAS. Hopefully this stuff was before that.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
diesels pretty safe - what law was he breaking?

UD

Likely transporting Hazardous material without the right equipment or commercial license. With those big containers he is likely pumping into the van instead of on the ground then lift it in, which can cause statics and ignite gasoline (probably not diesel).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back