Crawfish Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons uncle boiled 4 sacks of select crawfish last night. He brought me what was left over (about 20 lbs.). And, boy were they ever C'est Si Bon!
20.gif

crawfish1.jpeg

crawfish2.jpeg

OH, MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing as exciting as seasonal harvests! We only get maple syrup and smelt up here in the spring. I'm envious! I have to imagine that fresh is much better than the frozen excuse we get up here.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
OH, MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing as exciting as seasonal harvests! We only get maple syrup and smelt up here in the spring. I'm envious! I have to imagine that fresh is much better than the frozen excuse we get up here.

These were caught Friday evening in Mamou, La. My sons uncle buys and sells live and boiled crawfish. The farmer he buys his crawfish from, he had him put aside 4 sacks of select crawfish (12-15 per lb.). They were boiled for a family gathering.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by E150GT
Ewwwww

Ewwwwww? Are you serious? Dat's some good eatin', yeah!

I imagine the meat is probably good but I can't get past people sucking on their heads. What is that ?

I just bought some in Houston. Only found one place that does them like Louisiana. They are charging $8/lb but I still picked up crayfish every Friday until they get hard or are gone.

ahhh la bah

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Is Crawfish another name for Lobster?

No, I think they are part of the same family though. Crawfish are significantly smaller than lobster, you probably have heard them called "Crayfish" as that's generally what they are referred to as in Canada.

It seems that down under in Australia crayfish refers to lobster? Check out the youtube videos "Australian crayfish"

It seems that down under in Australia crayfish refers to lobster?
Be careful, some scenes may be painful to the eyes:

Interesting, as they are definitely two different creatures in North America. Crayfish/crawfish/crawdads are small-ish fresh water dwellers with two similar sized claws (like in the OP's pics), whilst lobster are salt water creatures where one claw is significantly larger and equipped differently:

Crayfish:
[Linked Image]

Atlantic Lobster:
[Linked Image]

The face area is also different.

Ewwwww

I imagine the meat is probably good but I can't get past people sucking on their heads. What is that ?

That's the best tasting part. It has the juices, fat, and brains. You separate the tail from the head, suck the head, peel the tail, eat the meat, repeat. These were select, so they had huge claws. I ate most of the claws.

It seems that down under in Australia crayfish refers to lobster? Check out the youtube videos "Australian crayfish"

In Australia they call them YABBIES.

Ewwwww

The man in the LSU t-shirt did it the authentic cajun way.

I have taken written advice about sucking on the head. I've done it and I kept doing it, till I eventually get a bad one and give up. Had I looked it up on youtube, I would have realized that by head people mean torax. I've been sucking on the eyeball end all along
spankme2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back