My new 2018 Mazda6 Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Starman2112
Originally Posted by pezzy669
Mazda are the diamond in the rough - as reliable as a Toyota or Honda but way more engaging to drive. I still don't understand why they have never caught on.

The current 6 and the outgoing 3 are two of the best looking cars on the road today IMO.

I agree they're great looking cars but not as reliable as Toyota or Honda.

A lot has changed in the past several years.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I'd be in the market for something exactly like that if they still sold them with manual transmissions. The last with manuals were '87s I believe.

Our local dealer apparently never brought in Mazda 6s with manual transmissions, so of course they never sold any. You could special order one of course, but most people don't do that. And if the dealers sell hardly any of them, any sensible manufacturer would stop making them.

My 2016 Mazda6 has a manual and I picked it up straight off the dealer's lot

Ditto with our 2017, but our dealer had to get it from a state away. I think there were 3 Mazda 6 M6 equipped cars on dealer lots in the western states at the time. Wife will not have a car with an automatic.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I'd be in the market for something exactly like that if they still sold them with manual transmissions. The last with manuals were '87s I believe.

Our local dealer apparently never brought in Mazda 6s with manual transmissions, so of course they never sold any. You could special order one of course, but most people don't do that. And if the dealers sell hardly any of them, any sensible manufacturer would stop making them.

I got my 2017 Mazda6 GX (Sport in the USA) from Freeway Mazda, Surrey BC, Feb 26th or so, 2017. 6MT, right off dealer lot. Having said that, I was the only person who had road-tested the car. It had been sitting on the lot for some 5 or 6 months. Worked a fantastic deal as a result. No 6MT's in Canada for 2018. Only Sport model, for 2018, in the USA.

Last edited:
Mazda spent a lot of time developing the SkyActiv manual transmission. Too bad only a few percent of buyers want one. It's the sign of the times.

I wouldn't mind it but the idea of stop and go through 50 miles of traffic with a manual cancels that idea.

6MT in my '17 Mazda6 (same transaxle as Mazda3 and CX5 manual variants) is pretty good but not as good as the 5mt in my Camry I4. Latter is by Aisin-Warner and has qual. features like gears spinning on sets of 1/2-round antifriction bearings / cages (if memory serves) versus on pseudo bushings. My "6" is very sensitive to gear cable/shifter neutralization and can be gravelly into 2nd and 1st even when at full operating temp. I can get around this if i acurately double-clutch but i should not have to. Built to a $... Decent but it's no Aisin-Warner. Also' real close-ratio. I 'kinda like the ratio spread (5 speeds only) on my Camry better... particularly taller first gear.

Last edited:
Other matter is that Skyactiv 2.5 is missing torque below 2500 rpm. Real aggressive rise after that. That, along with short 1st gear makes traffic a PITA. You hafta rev it to at least 3000 so as not to be smacked from behind... when departing in 1st. On a downgradient i sometimes start in 2nd so as to avoid this shift (and the pause in acc.). 6AT car masks paucity in torque (via torque multiplication... torque converter). 6 AT car is actually faster to 60mph. I can address this with a "tune" that uses higher octane fuel, adds bottom-end.

Last edited:
I like Mazda vehicles a lot....they are almost Germanic in interior design and handle very well too.
I bought 2 brand new Mazda's in my life...a 1982 GLC with M/T and a 1989 626 also with M/T. They were both great cars that left my world too soon...the GLC vandalized beyond repair at about 100K..the 626 sold @ approx. 30K because the wife didn't drive M/T cars.

The only downside to Mazda was that the A/C wasn't particularly strong.....and they had a proclivity for rusting.....I don't know if that's still true today...

Originally Posted by javacontour
I suspect most want a smoother ride. People don't charge clover-leafs at 1.5-2x the advisory speed, so such a car is wasted on them, or they find the ride to be "too harsh."
Most want a Camry or Buick or similar. Marshmallow suspensions in the mall crawler is the big seller today.

There is something to be said for finding the softest ride, or the quietest car/CUV/SUV among choices. For long drives, easier on the back & ears.
For s smoother ride, wish more cars had: Pothole Detection & Mitigation is kinda cool: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-ford-fusion-v6-sport-features-pothole-detection-system/ where the car actually sees a pothole coming, and instantly stiffens up the shock absorber to prevent the tire from falling into the hole as much. Wow.

If Mazda built a fixed roof Miata coupe or a new 300+ hp AWD MS3 one would be in my garage yesterday.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
My 2016 Mazda6 has a manual and I picked it up straight off the dealer's lot

I took one for a test drive in Edmonton. Nice car, should have bought it.

The dealership I'm referring to is here in BC. One of their sales guys said he had never driven a manual Mazda 6 because they never brought them in.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Mazda spent a lot of time developing the SkyActiv manual transmission. Too bad only a few percent of buyers want one. It's the sign of the times.

I wouldn't mind it but the idea of stop and go through 50 miles of traffic with a manual cancels that idea.

What is special about this manual Mazda transmission ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back