Honda motor mounts. After market or oem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can feel what seems to be a bit of movement in the engine when starting and stopping in the 2011 crv . It got 105k .

I want to real them all and I can get a set of mount for $100 for aftermarket. The OEM is quite a bit more.

I have used a lot of aftermarket stuff in my old Subaru with little issue. I keep reading that on Honda parts oem is the only way to go .

So what is your experience with after market parts for Honda . Especially engine mounts

probably OEM but not 100% sold on that, a friend has a 99 accord and has used nothing but aftermarket parts and still going strong , a little over 300,000...according to him OEM is all hype just so Honda sells parts, take it as you will

A friend of mine used aftermarket engine mounts from Rock Auto on a Ford Focus and they were shot in no time.

I used dea mounts a few years ago from rockauto to replace the front and rear non fluid mounts on a k series rsx and they were fine.

I used an anchor brand front mount last year on an 04 civic and it made a noticeable amount more vibration compared to the self repaired oem mount that was filled with construction polyurethane.

I would check your mounts and only replace the broken ones instead of doing them all. You won't save much labor since they are all in different places.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
I can feel what seems to be a bit of movement in the engine when starting and stopping in the 2011 crv . It got 105k .

I want to real them all and I can get a set of mount for $100 for aftermarket. The OEM is quite a bit more.

I have used a lot of aftermarket stuff in my old Subaru with little issue. I keep reading that on Honda parts oem is the only way to go .

So what is your experience with after market parts for Honda . Especially engine mounts

Can you buy OE but not "Genuine Honda"?

After nearly 23 years on my old Accord I noticed one of the mounts was broken and so I decided to change them all as the one that was broken was the most expensive. I bought Beck Arnley mounts and although they looked pretty good the vibration was almost ridiculous. Took them out and paid the money for Honda mounts and the car is like new. This and my experience on my other cars with aftermarket mounts has reinforced my opinion that you should only use OEM and only do the work once. There's a reason an aftermarket mount is $75 (or less) and an OEM is $225.

And as to the question of whether you can buy OEM mounts that aren't Honda, no you can't. It's not like German cars were you can.

Originally Posted by Trav
You get what you pay for, OE only.

Well you'd think so but I remember when motor mounts last the life of the car and some of them were high performance rigs.

experience on my other cars with aftermarket mounts has reinforced my opinion that you should only use OEM and only do the work once

In my case, had to re-replace the same genuine honda mounts more than once. Transmissions and engine mounts have not been lifetime so far in Honda.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Trav
You get what you pay for, OE only.

Well you'd think so but I remember when motor mounts last the life of the car and some of them were high performance rigs.

I also remember having to safety chain the engines too. I had a 428CJ almost flip over when it broke the OE mounts.

Why is it so hard to make a good motor mount?
mad.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Why is it so hard to make a good motor mount?
mad.gif

Most cars are retired before OEM mounts are replaced (people are used to their old cars and didn't know about such a thing), plus this is likely unique to each vehicle, so there are not much demand in the aftermarket, and no economy of scale to build the aftermarket business.

Unless the manufacturer screw up (i.e. having to use liquid filled engine mount because they cut corner on other NVH area), mounts I have last into 200k, only 1 exception.

Everytime I went with aftermarket, I ended up doing the job again shortly thereafter. Those mounts don't hold up and often give you an unexpected vibration as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back