VW 75W90 Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the gear oil in my 01M transmission's differential with Mobile 1 75W90. It runs great but I was curious if anyone know what the properties of the VW fluid is? Esso makes their ATF do they also supply the gear oil? Does anyone know the properties of the fluid and how it compares to Mobile 1 or anything else for that matter. Thanks.

-

-

I'm curious if this is the right fluid, since it discourages using it in manual transmissions.

--Matt

Mkosem-

The 01M is the auto, VW transmissions have the final drive as a seperate component from the transmission itself.

Baomo-

I would email Mobil to see if they recommend their gear oil in the VW final drive, I know they warn against using it in the manual transmissions but not sure if your final drive calls for special fluid like the manuals.

The Mobil oil is a GL-5 gear oil intended for use in applications such as rear axles.

The application of the VW fluid is specifically for the differential which is lubricated separately from the ATF.

Therefore, the Mobil gear oil would be a excellent product for use in the 01M differential.

Judging from the packaging of the VW fluid I would guess that Castrol is the manufacturer of this particular fluid. The VW fluid is a synthetic 75W-90 gear oil known as G50 in the VW arena.

Yea I haven’t had any problems with the mobile 1, but I’ve only had it for a week. I was mostly wondering if one out performs the other or at least the properties of the VW stuff. I guess I'll contact castrol and see what they say. Has anyone used anything else?

Also ATF was the factory fill for the final drive on the 01m from December 94 thru August 96. Then VW changed it to synthetic 75W90 gear oil because the ATF was seeping from the vent on these trannys. So if you have one with ATF you need to drain the ATF by taking the final drive cover off, flush it out and changing to synthetic gear oil.

http://www.20vturbo.com/tsb/mirror/pdf/39-98-01.pdf

Anyone else here just luuuuuuuuuuv it when these bottlers/labelers merely put a "part" number on quarts of gear oil instead of a proper weight?
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Anyone else here just luuuuuuuuuuv it when these bottlers/labelers merely put a "part" number on quarts of gear oil instead of a proper weight?
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

That's how you generate residual sales revenue. Hide what you're selling and if anyone asks claim it's "special"
mad.gif

It's legal, but hardly honest...

yea i wish they would at least post MSDS and technical data or make it available online so i can make my own opinion on what to use or what’s better.

i contacted ESSO about the VW ATF asking for the MSDS or technical data and if it was synthetic or not and their reply was that formulation was proprietary.
 -

If you can read Russian here is a link with some technical data. You may try printing this off and taking it to a local college or university where they have language instructors.

http://www.mobil1.spb.ru/156.html

VW's own packaging says that the fluid (VW ATF)is a highly refined mineral oil so it is group 3 at best. Personally I don't think the performance standards of the ATF are impressive at all. The Redline D4 blows it out of the water.

i was planning on switching to redline d4 or amsoil universal for the atf. thanks for the link. i wonder why exxon mobile of NA wouldn't share that with me and esso of russia has it posted online?

you wouldn't happen to have the link for the gear oil would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back