HONDA AT FINALLY LIKE NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive have had this honda since it had 170K miles on it... It has over 250K miles on it now i think near 8 years... When I bought it years ago i figured the transmission had some wear or perhaps it was on borrowed time b/c if shifted funny from 1st gear to 2nd gear.. Once in a while it would sorta bang into 2nd gear..If I drove it very easy and took off from a stop very slow it would sorta float into 2nd gear and wouldnt do that horrible bang. Now many things improved it like new trans mounts / engine mounts ECT.. Also LubeGaurd Shudder fix. That seemed to help it also.. Finally i started to change the Dual Liner solenoid and that really didn't help but I had a code pop up for the dual liner solenoid so I changed it.. ** DENSO ** The D light was blinking and as soon as I changed the dual liner selenoid the flashing Green D light stopped... I even changed the Torque Converter lock out solenoid.

Well I finally figured it out ** Becasue I was out of things to change **... Honda has 2nd gear and 3 gear Transmission Pressure Switches part # 28600-P7Z-003 and or 28600-P7Z-013 .. So I got real Honda ones from work via World Pac and the trans takes 2 but I only changed the 2nd gear switch and as soon as I drove the car it was like a new transmission.. I was shocked.. I then figued since I have both I might as well change them both so I did the 3rd gear one also..

Its unreal how awesome this transmission shifts now.... So if anyone has a Honda Transmission that sorta bangs into 2nd gear please do yourself a favor and buy

2x Transmission Pressure Switch for Honda Accord 28600-P7Z-003 28600-P7Z-013

They look like the picture below.. Now becareful I seen many knock offs on ebay and amazon.. The non oem have glue on them and the Genuine Honda even the Intermotor was made in Japan and was the exact same thing as the one in the Honda bag...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Mine shifts great but thanks for the tip. I am sure there are others may benefit from this info. Sounds like your Honda is giving you good service for a lot of miles. I hope mine hangs in there too.

I usually get a little flare from 1st to 2nd when the ATF is cold, like below 65F. Goes away after it starts to warm after a few shifts. 2003 Accord 2.4L 148k mi. with Castrol IMVF. What ATF are you running?

Good info to know if I start having similar problems.

My 2007 V6 Accord had two of those as well. I changed both at ~75k miles as preventive measure.

One of the Honda sites I was on (DriveAccord?) pointed out that either of the switches can and usually do begin to fail in ways that are undetectable by the driver and suggested PM replacement. The result of an aging switch(es) is a softer shift than it should be with the result being potentially more internal clutch wear.

I couldn't detect any noticeable change in shifting before or after, but given that the 5 speed auto was not the strongest behind the V6 I decided the PM was the way to go.

Unfortunately I can't tell you if it worked since I traded it at ~119k miles though my earlier plan was to keep it indefinitely.

Glad your fix worked so well! To others, consider the PM replacement.

I just did this on a 2003 Honda CR-V yesterday.

Strange question. Does the transmission need to be reprogrammed in any way once you install it? My mechanic said yes but I would love a second opinion.

Wow... a 6th gen V6 tranny w/250k is a unicorn!!

Glad she's running smoothly again
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
GREAT INFO! Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

+1 .......... I feel like I want to go out an buy a Honda just so I can take advantage of this information.

I strongly suspect those 2/3 and 3/4 shift sensors is why I got such a great deal on the 2005 Honda Pilot some years ago. It was a trade-in we bought with 98K miles, I suspect the blinking D was why it was traded-in. I read-up on the topic when I got a blinking D, and replaced both sensors with genuine Honda, mail-ordered for less than $100 total. Worked like new until 210K miles, when the radiator went bad and mixed in a small amount of coolant. It was all downhill from there, but it might have been done already. A sad ending for an otherwise great vehicle, but we got our money's worth out of it.

Originally Posted by mclasser

thumbsup2.gif

My '02 V6 with 4-speed AT has 247k miles. I appreciate the information on these pressure switches. Which p/n is for 2nd gear & which is for 3rd gear? How did you come about this information?

Originally Posted by benjamming
My '02 V6 with 4-speed AT has 247k miles. I appreciate the information on these pressure switches. Which p/n is for 2nd gear & which is for 3rd gear? How did you come about this information?

Just go to any on-line Honda dealer website (Majestic and HandA come to mind), pick your model and and drill down.

Originally Posted by macarose

Strange question. Does the transmission need to be reprogrammed in any way once you install it? My mechanic said yes but I would love a second opinion.

I would say no. It didn't on my old Accord, and never occurred to me that it would. The way I see it, it's a sensor that is not part of the programming, i.e., it feeds data to the program but doesn't change the program itself.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
I usually get a little flare from 1st to 2nd when the ATF is cold, like below 65F. Goes away after it starts to warm after a few shifts. 2003 Accord 2.4L 148k mi. with Castrol IMVF. What ATF are you running?

Good info to know if I start having similar problems.

Honda DW1 ... I have settled on that.. I have used IDIMITUS H Plus also.

thumbsup2.gif

a video on You tube... the buys OBD2 computer showed 3rd gear clutch switch OFF.. Its a great video... Its not the same AT as mine but the same concept...
It showed all the sensors Ok.. STUCK OFF.. OK.. OK... as in 2nd gear pressure switch Not working... So I said Hmmm let me try this.. It was night and day...

There are many of them on You tube
look at this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfwBUh4H71Y

Originally Posted by eagle23
Originally Posted by macarose

I would say no. It didn't on my old Accord, and never occurred to me that it would. The way I see it, it's a sensor that is not part of the programming, i.e., it feeds data to the program but doesn't change the program itself.

I dont think NO.. but i did have my battery unplugged when i did the job.

Last edited:

thumbsup2.gif

There both the same exact switch....... funny huh?

Also mine runs awesome!!!!!!!!!

It has never ever run so smooth.... I used to baby it from 1st to 2nd gear and would really creep around... Now I can really hit the gas if I want to.. However after 8 years of driving so easy and so slow and creeping around Im so used to driving in that manner.... Its funny.. and each time the car goes from 1st gear to 2nd gear I have no more bang into gear.... Now when I used to creep around it wouldnt bang into gear b/c I had the RPMs so low it would just float into gear... very weird.. Now I can drive normal.

Last edited:
Interesting... My Fit threw a CEL and blinking D while waiting at a stop light last Wednesday. Out of nowhere, no previous failures or codes of any kind. When I started moving, I was getting hard, delayed shifts in every gear. Luckily enough, I was about entering my neighborhood. Drove slowly home. Got the codes, p0756 and p0847. Googled them and sure enough, it pointed to the 3rd clutch pressure switch. I was glad it was that one, because it is the easier to reach (towards the front of the engine). Bought the switch 28600-RG5-004 and gasket at my local dealer, replaced on Friday, and appears like everything is back to normal. Car has 110k and have seen yearly drain and fills with z1/dw1 fluid.

Last edited:
Great information for any Gen 6 owner.
I wonder how many of these allegedly glass transaxles have been replaced where the fix could have been as simple as this switch replacement?

That is great info. Makes you wonder how many Honda ATs got toasted over time just due to sluggish sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back