Iridium vs Ruthenium spark plugs

I got my Cavalier with 180k on the engine. I removed the production original iridium spark plugs, with no misfires! They are Ac Delco branded but look like NGK Laser Iridium, were stamped made in Japan.
Replaced with the same plug.
Its hard to see, but the laser iridium should have a platinum puck on the ground strap, they sit pretty flush and dont stand out like the ruthenium.
At this point the ruthenium is a pretty new product. I'd feel more comfortable with the proven Laser iridium until these ruthenium plugs get some real world high mileage field testing.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
On the left is an AC Delco Iridium plug with 180,000 miles on it. On the right is a new AC Delco Iridium plug. If Ruthenium is more resistant to erosion, that would be interesting.

That looks impressive for the milage.
Last laser iridium I removed (From a Mitsubishi Lancer with ~112000 miles) were only worn out at the negative electrode, which has a hollow erosion point, as if the platinum disc got eroded or fell. All 4 of them were like that, should have taken pictures.

Originally Posted by cronk

At this point the ruthenium is a pretty new product. I'd feel more comfortable with the proven Laser iridium until these ruthenium plugs get some real world high mileage field testing.

Because of iridium, it's been a long time since I had to think about spark plugs. I didn't know these existed. I would also be skeptical for awhile, especially about the little ground electrode breaking off.

I remember getting my iridium plugs changed on the Montero Sport around the 115,000 mile mark. The old ones still looked pretty good.

Originally Posted by cronk
I got my Cavalier with 180k on the engine. I removed the production original iridium spark plugs, with no misfires! They are Ac Delco branded but look like NGK Laser Iridium, were stamped made in Japan.... Replaced with the same plug.
Wait, '03 Cavaliers (not exactly a Mercedes...) had original iridiums? Owner's Manual says AC-Delco 41-981, which the 41-103 later replaced, and it's iridium, so you're probably right. I thought platinum was the thing '00-'10, and a lot of coppers in the '80's-'90's.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
GM has been running Iridiums in LS engines from the factory for over 10 years.
... and in 2004 Cavaliers apparently.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
As for as Ruthenium, which I must admit, I didn't even know was an element (I need to go over the Periodic thingie again), my "rule" of spark plugs is to just get the OEM plugs. Got to duplicate what the engineers thought would work well for emissions and warranty. ... I just noticed my '15 C-max hybrid has iridiums OEM, and I know the engine only runs for about 60% of the miles driven, so I should be able to get 180,000 miles on that Hybrid engine with iridiums.
Did Ruth (picture below) discover this Ruthenium element? hmmm....
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Iridium is already good for 100k, but the ruthenium is definitely worth it on cars where it's hard to do them on. Almost any transverse V6/V8, 4th gen Camaro/Firebird, Aerostar, Subarus, etc.

For cars where it's easy to do them, no need to waste the extra money on the ruthenium
smile.gif

But like others have already stated, they are actually a few pennies cheaper than the Iridium LX/Lasers for my app.
wink.gif

As easy as it is to change them on this car (save for the plug well seals grabbing/preventing a regular diameter sized plug socket from reaching the plug hex), I want to change them out much more often than the manual, and everyone on here suggests, just to prevent them from seizing in the head, and because of the soot produced by TGDI engines.

Interesting that the Ruthenium plugs have 2 different electrode designs.

DFE (double fine electrode) maximizes ignitability while reducing emissions for conventional engines. NGK patented design recommended for normally aspirated applications.

PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode) provides the best ignitability and service life for high heat engines. NGK patented design recommended for turbo and supercharged engines.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

It would be easy to grind off the extra side-electrode, and convert the one style to the other. I'm short-clipping my side electrodes as-is, to expose more flame kernel to the center of the CC. Been doing that since my 1976 RD350...

NGK has NO PLUGS for my 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T, (turbo). Very surprising. Calls for 45K replacement, I used OEM Denso.

maximizes ignitability while reducing emissions

What does this actually mean? It seems to imply that any other plug has less ignitability and more emissions? They seem to be on the edge of saying that these have actual performance benefits beyond longevity?

Unless this new technology proves itself in the long run, I would not try it, no matter how I trust NGK as a brand. Regarding price, it may now have a small price diff, this could not be this way in the future (upwards or downwards).
Pre-costing, placing a new product in the market and its long term reliability is a process that takes time, I wouldn't risk an experiment with such a critical component in my engines, yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Popsy
Ruthenium seem to have two visible pointy electrodes of whatever fancy metal they are advertised.

The iridium plugs out of either our son's '12 Accord V6 or my '08 G35 had the 'tip' on both the base portion of the plug and the electrode part. I don't think this design is unique to these Ruthenium plugs.

FWIW, the factory-installed Denso plugs with 121k miles on them were still gapped at 0.040" (5 of them) and 0.045" (1 plug).

Originally Posted by SubLGT

DFE (double fine electrode) maximizes ignitability while reducing emissions for conventional engines. NGK patented design recommended for normally aspirated applications.

PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode) provides the best ignitability and service life for high heat engines. NGK patented design recommended for turbo and supercharged engines.

Yeah, the ones for my app have that little 'shelf plate' welded onto the ground electrode (hopefully VERY WELL attached
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
(picture below) discover this Ruthenium element? hmmm....

Ruthenium isn't named after RBG, but after the region that eventually became Russia. Russia also has significant deposits of Pt/Ir/Pd, Canada is also home to a few deposits, I think Mexico as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenia

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
(picture below) discover this Ruthenium element? hmmm....
Ruthenium isn't named after RBG, but after the region that eventually became Russia. Russia also has significant deposits of Pt/Ir/Pd, Canada is also home to a few deposits, I think Mexico as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthenia
I still think Ruth Bader Ginsburg discovered it. That gal can do anything, according to some CNN documentaries on her, which is from a "reliable source".....

Back