M1 0w40 FS oci vs M1 AP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the 0w40fs better suited to long drains than say M1 annual protection? It's got a huge starting tbn...more so than any of the low saps oils...just curious to everyone's thoughts.

I'm running it at 10k in both my Toyota's plus all my ope

Last edited:
M1 FS 0W-40 is better suited to long drains in the applications that call for it.

There is no specification or application crossover between FS and any grade of AP.

In my '12 Optima 2.0T engine, it would shear down fairly quickly and oxidize far too fast (~4K mile OCI). That was with 93 octane Top Tier gas as well. I had over 5% fuel dilution according to the Polaris UOA. So I switched to Castrol Edge 0W-40 and with the same OCI of ~4K miles, the oil held up much better (no shearing and no oxidation). Metals and other items all looked ok on both.

Last edited:
These oils use different chemistry to achieve desired performance characteristics. AP is a more "modern" approach better suited for GDI engines. The 0w40 ESP is more similar to AP than FS due to the lower SA level.

If both oils were used in the same port injection gas engine...say in a pick up or sedan which would be more capable of extending an oci. Simple enough?

I understand the differences in makeup and chemistry

While TBN isn't everything the Porsche cert is a lot more than not having it.
They have reduced their ocis to 10k since they went DI but their older port models are still 20k.

While not a POrsche the 1gr Fe will probably be capable of some longer ocis with the mobil1 0w40 than with the annual protection based upon a combination of the certification and the TBN. Not based upon a label. I don't have the patience to test the limits of each oil and by the time you do so the oils tested will have been updated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back