Opinions on the John Deere S240?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching all of my options and I've pretty much landed on the John Deere S240. I looked at cheaper tractors like the Cub Cadet XT1, Husqvarna YTH18542, and the John Deere E120. It seems like it's worth the price jump to get the Kawasaki twin, stronger transmission, electric pto, etc...

My yard is only about an acre with some steep slopes which is why I'm set on a tractor style mower with a 42" deck.

So what do you think of the John Deere S240? Is it a good tractor? Anything else I should be looking at?

The Cub Cadet XT1 has the same K46 transmission as the S240.

After working on a family member's fairly new JD mower constantly, I can't see ever buying one. It has strong B&S engine and that has been the only part that hasn't broken on it.

I looked at mowers last year, and concluded buy in the $1600-$1800 range or the $4000+ range. The mowers in the middle are too similar to the $1600-$1800 to make it worthwhile. I ended up with XT1 46". I didn't see the benefit to the electric PTO, and I have no issues with the Kohler engine. It's been a great mower and I highly recommend the XT1 series, especially if you can get a sale price (Tractor Supply runs a sale every couple months). XT1 has a very tight turning radius too.

My data is old (Model 320) but the JD I always aspired to has been a big disappointment.
Other than the Kaw Vtwin engine which is a gem, the rest has been a lot of problems and very expensive OEM parts prices.

My Wheel Horse 520H was much more reliable. Only reason I don't have it.... was a throw-in on a house sale deal, and I figured a good way to move up to a JD.

JD seems like a BMW car...great for a 2-year lease, but troublesome and expensive long term ownership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by drtyler

After working on a family member's fairly new JD mower constantly, I can't see ever buying one. It has strong B&S engine and that has been the only part that hasn't broken on it.

I looked at mowers last year, and concluded buy in the $1600-$1800 range or the $4000+ range. The mowers in the middle are too similar to the $1600-$1800 to make it worthwhile. I ended up with XT1 46". I didn't see the benefit to the electric PTO, and I have no issues with the Kohler engine. It's been a great mower and I highly recommend the XT1 series, especially if you can get a sale price (Tractor Supply runs a sale every couple months). XT1 has a very tight turning radius too.

I was almost set on getting an XT1, but the nearest Cub Cadet dealer is an hour away. Have you been able to find parts relatively easily without going to the dealer?

I briefly looked at the S240 last year when researching a mower for my mother. I ended up getting her a Husqvarna TS348D.

It was about $500 more than the S240, but it was worth it, IMO. It's heavier duty overall, and also comes with a locking K66 transaxle, which is a big upgrade over the K46.

Do you have a Tractor Supply or Home Depot near you? They carry the blades, oil filters, and air filters.

Nothing has broken where I've needed parts yet.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by drtyler

I was almost set on getting an XT1, but the nearest Cub Cadet dealer is an hour away. Have you been able to find parts relatively easily without going to the dealer?

Originally Posted by nascarnation
My data is old (Model 320) but the JD I always aspired to has been a big disappointment.
Other than the Kaw Vtwin engine which is a gem, the rest has been a lot of problems and very expensive OEM parts prices.

My Wheel Horse 520H was much more reliable. Only reason I don't have it.... was a throw-in on a house sale deal, and I figured a good way to move up to a JD.

JD seems like a BMW car...great for a 2-year lease, but troublesome and expensive long term ownership.

The 520H was a great tractor, but nothing is built to that quality level anymore, even the very expensive machines.

OP:

The S240 is a good mower, but you have to understand that the Cub Cadets, John Deeres, MTDs, etc all in that price range are all built to the same price point. The Cub Cadet will be on the same quality level (or in my experience worse) than an equivalent John Deere. Of all the home depot machines, I usually recommend the John Deeres because Deere has the best parts network. I can go to my local dealer or find parts online pretty easily for pretty much anything they have ever made. My neighbor has a Cub Cadet from Lowes that broke a deck support bracket, and the part was almost impossible to find. I ended up getting a used one off ebay which still wasn't very cheap for what it was.

That said, there is a huge difference between the X-series Deeres at the dealer, and the home depot machines. Contrary to popular belief, Deere does build both machines, but they are on different levels due to their target markets. If you can swing it price wise, I'd always try finding a good condition used X-series for only a bit more than a new Home Depot tractor. I currently own a 2005 G110 Deere which is basically a 2-year model they made at Home Depot, similar to the S240 in that it is a Home Depot Deere with a stronger transmission, larger deck, and slightly better engine. It has over 800 hours on it and I've certainly put it through it's paces. It has been very good so far.

the S240 is basically a JD D155 with the engine ungrad and a better seat.
A few other items as well.
It's a decent mower.

Don't care for the gas tank being right up front with the engine on the Husk.

.... My yard is only about an acre with some steep slopes which is why I'm set on a tractor style mower with a 42" deck.

So what do you think of the John Deere S240? Is it a good tractor? Anything else I should be looking at?

I don't know about this particular model, but I have a small 42 inch Deere with a 22 or 24 HP B&S twin, tuff torq transmission, Home Depot residential lawn grade, that I use / used for mowing my undeveloped lots, They range in size from 1 to 2.5 acre tracts.

The frame, engine, and transmission on the JD have all held up well in the face of fairly hard use. The 42 inch mowing deck, particularly the spindles, are just not up to snuff, and have to be replaced fairly frequently.

I removed my JD from service last year, and replaced it with a V twin, Kohler powered, zero turn Ariens, which may or may not hold up to semi commercial service. So far I am not all that impressed with it, although the zero turn feature is nice. When it doesn't leak.

I haven't decided if I want to get a new deck for the JD, or not. Except for the deck, it's a decent mower.

Originally Posted by Win
The frame, engine, and transmission on the JD have all held up well in the face of fairly hard use. The 42 inch mowing deck, particularly the spindles, are just not up to snuff, and have to be replaced fairly frequently.

The spindles are one of the reasons I'm looking at the S240 and not the E series from Lowes or Home Depot. Supposedly, it has the upgraded spindles from the X series mowers.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by nascarnation

The 520H was a great tractor, but nothing is built to that quality level anymore, even the very expensive machines.

OP:

The S240 is a good mower, but you have to understand that the Cub Cadets, John Deeres, MTDs, etc all in that price range are all built to the same price point. The Cub Cadet will be on the same quality level (or in my experience worse) than an equivalent John Deere. Of all the home depot machines, I usually recommend the John Deeres because Deere has the best parts network. I can go to my local dealer or find parts online pretty easily for pretty much anything they have ever made. My neighbor has a Cub Cadet from Lowes that broke a deck support bracket, and the part was almost impossible to find. I ended up getting a used one off ebay which still wasn't very cheap for what it was.

That said, there is a huge difference between the X-series Deeres at the dealer, and the home depot machines. Contrary to popular belief, Deere does build both machines, but they are on different levels due to their target markets. If you can swing it price wise, I'd always try finding a good condition used X-series for only a bit more than a new Home Depot tractor. I currently own a 2005 G110 Deere which is basically a 2-year model they made at Home Depot, similar to the S240 in that it is a Home Depot Deere with a stronger transmission, larger deck, and slightly better engine. It has over 800 hours on it and I've certainly put it through it's paces. It has been very good so far.

+1, the X series is the way to go.

I think you would be happier with a 48" deck and a few more ponies under the hood. My MIL has an older John Deere with a 42" deck and 19 HP while I have a newer D140 with the 48" deck and 22 HP. It takes me half the time to mow my lawn, which is of equal size with steeper slopes.

If you can swing it price wise, I'd always try finding a good condition used X-series for only a bit more than a new Home Depot tractor.

Interesting IF you could do that.
Last year when I was looking at a 300 series tractor, I visited a couple Deere dealers on Sunday and browsed their
used machines. The prices they had on some pretty rough well used units was as high if not higher than the
price I paid for my X350.
'Course, the S240 is a 'dealer only' model, not big box machine.
Shop carefully.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by dwendt44
If you can swing it price wise, I'd always try finding a good condition used X-series for only a bit more than a new Home Depot tractor.

Interesting IF you could do that.
Last year when I was looking at a 300 series tractor, I visited a couple Deere dealers on Sunday and browsed their
used machines. The prices they had on some pretty rough well used units was as high if not higher than the
price I paid for my X350.
'Course, the S240 is a 'dealer only' model, not big box machine.
Shop carefully.

My 2¢

Used machines from dealers are rarely a good buy. Like you said they are usually rough and not a good deal. I'm talking about finding craigslist or Facebook Marketplace deals. A family friend got an X300 series for a good deal on craigslist. It was owned by an older couple who were moving to Florida, and the machine was hardly used, garage stored, and had all service records. It was basically half the price the dealers wanted for their used and abused X series tractors with questionable maintenance. I've gone with many family members to buy used machines and you can usually tell right away if the seller took care of it or knew how to maintain it, which is hard to tell with something sitting on a lot.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I think you would be happier with a 48" deck and a few more ponies under the hood. My MIL has an older John Deere with a 42" deck and 19 HP while I have a newer D140 with the 48" deck and 22 HP. It takes me half the time to mow my lawn, which is of equal size with steeper slopes.

A bigger deck does cut down on mowing time for sure. I always laugh when I see 38" and 42" deck machines with a large V-Twin engine stuffed onto it. Why is that needed? You use more fuel cutting the same amount of grass.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

I hear you, but I just don't need a larger deck. Honestly, it would make maneuvering around some of my landscaping very challenging. I'm still push mowing it right now (Honda HRX217HYA), so I think a 42" deck is going to be a huge upgrade.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Used machines from dealers are rarely a good buy. Like you said they are usually rough and not a good deal. I'm talking about finding craigslist or Facebook Marketplace deals. A family friend got an X300 series for a good deal on craigslist. It was owned by an older couple who were moving to Florida, and the machine was hardly used, garage stored, and had all service records. It was basically half the price the dealers wanted for their used and abused X series tractors with questionable maintenance. I've gone with many family members to buy used machines and you can usually tell right away if the seller took care of it or knew how to maintain it, which is hard to tell with something sitting on a lot.

I would love to find a good used machine but at this point I'm getting impatient. I've spent the last 2 months scouring Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and everything in my area is 20 years old, beat, and still asking big bucks.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
+1, the X series is the way to go.

I would love to get an X series, but it's just out of my budget. I originally wanted to spend under $2k and I stretched it to $2.5k. I just don't want to spend what an X series costs.

I would love to find a good used machine but at this point I'm getting impatient. I've spent the last 2 months scouring Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and everything in my area is 20 years old, beat, and still asking big bucks.

I hear you. It's a bad time of year for mowers, because everyone knows the season is coming and wants top dollar for everything. Fall is usually best because people don't want to store stuff over the winter.

I do think the S240 would serve you well.

Comparing it to other make/models in that price range, it's a good rider. How long it lasts for you is up to you. Try not to force that transaxle up the hills constantly and keep your cutting deck set so it doesn't beat against the ground when you're mowing. Gauge wheels should only touch the ground on occasional high spots. Give it a reach under with a stick to knock off the build-up under the deck, blow the whole thing off with your leaf blower and store it out of the elements.

Originally Posted by JTK

Comparing it to other make/models in that price range, it's a good rider. How long it lasts for you is up to you. Try not to force that transaxle up the hills constantly and keep your cutting deck set so it doesn't beat against the ground when you're mowing. Gauge wheels should only touch the ground on occasional high spots. Give it a reach under with a stick to knock off the build-up under the deck, blow the whole thing off with your leaf blower and store it out of the elements.

It would be mowing a pretty manicured lot at 3.5" height so I don't think the deck is going to take a beating. Also, it would be stored in a garage out of the elements. The only concern I have now is for the transmission, it's definitely going to be exposed to some hilly terrain.

...The only concern I have now is for the transmission, it's definitely going to be exposed to some hilly terrain.

As long as the operator doesn't weigh a ton and you mow high like you say and you don't try to cut grass that's 6" high, it should last. Like said, keep it running it's coolest by blowing the crap off the trans housing after each use. Changing the oil on them doubles or triples their lifespan too. They are sold as "sealed", but the oil can be changed on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back