Oil Life Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone.
Most likely I will change the oil & filter for her about 2x year with good stuff. Maybe 3x depending on when she comes home to NY from PA. I monitor the miles compared to the OLM % as well.

On our 2008 CR-V, the MM hits 15% at about 9,500-9,800 miles and has done so since new. Always changed the oil within a couple days of the 15% notification. Have run mainly 5w20 Mobil 1 EP with a run or two of Castrol Edge and PP. 155k trouble free miles.

Last edited:
Same with my Buick in the sig, just did this change about 2 weeks ago and already etching up on 3k miles, just now at 89% but it's all highway driving for the good majority! I really don't know how these things work, first car I've had with a OLM.

Last edited:
I don't follow the MM on my Honda's. I change the oil at 7,500 miles at the most and use synthetic oil with a good filter. The only way I follow the MM is if it gets to 5% before I get to 7,500 miles. I have 67k miles on my CRV and 74k miles on my Civic.

The Honda MM is algorithmic and also gives codes for other maintenance items. I will run synthetic in winter and change the conventional at 50% in summer.
My last went 15% at at a out 3500 miles. A lot of stop and go and cold starts.

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra w/ 5.3 and the OLM is already at at 30% remaining and has only 3500 miles on this change and I use PP 5w30. I last changed the oil in Jan. 2018 so it's been in roughly 15 month but the change before that was in there over 2 yrs also with PP. I know in the past I've reset the OLM and gone again, maybe not all of a 2nd change but at least a couple more thousand on it.

My dad has a 2009 F150 w/ 5.4 and the dealer changed the oil last May and he doesn't really use the truck so it mainly sits in the garage, we had it out a couple weeks ago to get it inspected and the OLM was already saying oil change recquired. I don't remember the exact miles but wasn't even 1k since they changed it, he mentioned about going back again in May to have them change it again, I thought maybe they forgot to reset the OLM which I did but now he says that it's showing the oil change again. I haven't looked at it again to verify but that's what he told me. I was wondering if it knew somehow that the oil wasn't physically drained out of it. I know the oil they used would've been Motorcraft 5w20 which is a fine oil.

Also I haven't experienced this but if you can change your driving habits supposedly you can gain some life back to it such as not using it for short trips and instead put more highway miles on.

Last edited:
Our "18 Colorado (3.6) is my first vehicle with an OLM. It always drops below 10% at about 2,600 miles.

I am sure GDI and my wife's extreme preponderance for short trips are the main culprits.

Last edited:
Never go by the OLM, do 5K oil changes and reset.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
cheers3.gif

Why 5K and not 4K or 6K or 8K or some other random number?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
cheers3.gif

Cause increments of 5 are easy to remember.

I liked my Honda OLM. I always used Syn HM in it and always changed it when it was 5% or 0% (which then becomes negative in mileage driven). The OCI's did vary so mileage wasn't the trigger of the OLM. I usually went 6500 - 8500 miles. Use both the OLM and your BITOG sensibilities and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by tiger862
cheers3.gif

yeah...its also easy to remember Its about half of the oils useable life in a 3.5 Honda. (based on numerous 3rd party UOAS)

GM, and Ford have given me little faith to trust their algorithms with their timing chain and sludge issues and continuous re-calibration downwards of their systems.

Honda, on the other hand, seems to have worked out their system pretty well.

Id love to entertain a serious discussion about what these 6 engineers from Honda didn't get right.

Its your money, time and car so you get to do as you wish, but I'm going to disagree that you likely got it right and Honda didn't.

UD

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 73
Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
cheers3.gif

Should use 10 then. It's even easier to remember.

Not to change subjects but I keep a spreadsheet that tracks my oil changes for all 3 of my vehicles, the motorcycle gets one at least every year or two and I don't rack up a lot of miles so I haven't been tracking it. In my spreadsheet I list the vehicle, the date and the oil that I used, I've also added columns for make-up oil and I put in the mileage and how much was needed. I keep it saved in my google drive so it's easily accessible and I can keep it updated at anytime if needed.

I hate changing oil in the winter so I'll see how many miles are on the truck before then or I'll wait until next spring to change it. I read online and the general consensus seems to be is that the GM OLM is actually pretty good but the only real way to know is having an oil analysis done.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I am an old foggy . I change at 50% & 5% , with synthetic oil .

Or 3,000 miles for conventional oil . Which was the SOP for much of my life .

Oil / filter change is relatively cheap insurance . You change oil / filter to get rif of undesirable " products " . Same reason you flush a commode .

None of this makes sense.

Originally Posted by Merek
Not to change subjects but I keep a spreadsheet that tracks my oil changes for all 3 of my vehicles, the motorcycle gets one at least every year or two and I don't rack up a lot of miles so I haven't been tracking it. In my spreadsheet I list the vehicle, the date and the oil that I used, I've also added columns for make-up oil and I put in the mileage and how much was needed. I keep it saved in my google drive so it's easily accessible and I can keep it updated at anytime if needed.

I hate changing oil in the winter so I'll see how many miles are on the truck before then or I'll wait until next spring to change it. I read online and the general consensus seems to be is that the GM OLM is actually pretty good but the only real way to know is having an oil analysis done.

https://www.acadiaforum.net/22-prob...program-ecm-oil-life-monitor-system.html

Hopefully, after this debacle, GM got it right.

Has GM disclosed how their system even works like Honda has?

Seems most guys keep this all a secret whereas Honda is open about how they developed their algorithm.

UD

I like 5k, easy to remember, and whenever I check the tires on my FWD, they could use a rotation around 5k anyhow. One stop service.

But it's easy enough to do 10k also, and alternate between the two as I see fit. We tend to drive conservatively and with few short trips, so in the end I don't think it matters. For me. YMMV.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Has GM disclosed how their system even works like Honda has? Seems most guys keep this all a secret whereas Honda is open about how they developed their algorithm.
UD
The Honda paper cited above I've not seen before, nice summary. It looks like GM's algorithm, probably barely sidestepping GM patents !!
From https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/files/final_submissions/392 we have the basic flowchart for GM. In the last few years, probably due to direct injection engine's carbon soot problems (timing chains, etc.), GM now uses their old algorithm, but cuts it off at 7,500 miles or 1 year max.

gmolm.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back