Should fuel injectors be clocked (rotational position) the same in the hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By clocked the same I mean same rotational position in the hole relative to the other injectors. I noticed on my two cylinder Moto Guzzi motorcycle, which is a 1151cc displacement, that the left hand cylinder's injector's rotational position in the manifold and the right hand cylinder's injector's rotational position were not the same. Apparently they do not lock-in in the manifold port but can be rotated (clocked) freely once installed. Put another way, the power pigtail assembly on the left injector was at 2 o'clock and the right hand cylinder injector's was sitting at about 11 o'clock, rotationally.

I don't know if this might cause a difference in spray pattern left vs right or if it would even matter.

More I think about it, it doesn't matter the positioning. This was a stupid question.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

I don't know if this might cause a difference in spray pattern left vs right or if it would even matter.
More I think about it, it doesn't matter the positioning. This was a stupid question.

Within professional and biblical boundaries (and BITOG), I love you, man. I mean no disrespect. Just amused. Did you answer your own Q?

It makes no difference with this injector. It is a Magneti Marelli IWP189 shower style injector with 12 holes, if it has a pink band its 510cc. These Pico injectors have a relatively high failure rate so any issues that cannot be traced to ignition is probably an injector dropping out electrically. Ohms will usually read okay but inductance will be low.

Last edited:
Sure on the plugs, that changes the flame front but on a injector that sprays like a shower head it makes no difference. If it had a V pattern on a multi valve head it does make a difference, one side of the V sprays at each valve. Injectors on turbo and supercharged engines are usually a straight shot stream and big flow ratings.

Originally Posted by Trav
Sure on the plugs, that changes the flame front but on a injector that sprays like a shower head it makes no difference. If it had a V pattern on a multi valve head it does make a difference, one side of the V sprays at each valve. Injectors on turbo and supercharged engines are usually a straight shot stream and big flow ratings.

The knowledge on this blog is amazing.................
cheers3.gif

It makes no difference with this injector. It is a Magneti Marelli IWP189 shower style injector with 12 holes, if it has a pink band its 510cc. These Pico injectors have a relatively high failure rate so any issues that cannot be traced to ignition is probably an injector dropping out electrically. Ohms will usually read okay but inductance will be low.

Does this mean my bike might strand me sometime by an injector crapping out ?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Does this mean my bike might strand me sometime by an injector crapping out ?

Yes.

laugh.gif

Seriously, anything mechanical can fail and leave you stranded. It's not too likely, but you should always be prepared for that possibility.

Probably not, it will begin gradually with a misfire if one is failing, not all of them fail just more than say a Denso or Bosch unit. Some Delphi/Rochester and Siemens Deka are much more troublesome.
Sorry I didn't mean for you to have concerns, if its running well then no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back