People don't know how to merge onto the highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to know what driving schools are teaching new drivers these days when it comes to merging onto the highway. I was taught in driver's training that it's the driver's responsibility who is merging to enter the highway in such a way that doesn't disrupt the flow of traffic on the highway. Now days people seem to think merging at 35 mph and making everyone on the highway get out of their way is the proper way to do it. Another thing I see people do all the time, when I see that someone is merging and I'm on the highway, I will move over into the left lane (as long as it's clear) to leave the right lane open for the merger. The merger will then merge right next to me and drive exactly the same speed I'm driving. Now I'm stuck in the left lane and can't move over, something that can't be done for very long without some mega speeder coming up from behind to ride my bumper, so then I either have to speed up or slow down so I can move back over into the right lane. I don't think driving schools are teaching people how to merge, that or these people are pushing memory erase as soon as they're done with driving school...

I see it daily...
smirk2.gif

I try to be courteous and help them out but some people are helpless and panic with braking so then I end up just passing them by. Then you have others that just about take off your front bumper because they assume you will move and I will generally but sometimes can't depending on where other traffic is.

Last edited:
It's a constant issue pretty much everywhere. A big part of this is that many drivers are staring at the few hundred feet ahead of them when they should be looking further ahead as well.

Ditto.

I also see a lot of people driving until the end of their lane, and then thinking they can just move over without looking.

I've also seen people glide to the side of the highway after an on-ramp. Only to slide back over. It's like they take the "drive right" a bit too literal.

There's lots of stupid driving out there. Some days I wonder why I like to drive, maybe I should have moved to a city and never taken it up.

Originally Posted by grampi
I'm curious to know what driving schools are teaching new drivers these days when it comes to merging onto the highway. I was taught in driver's training that it's the driver's responsibility who is merging to enter the highway in such a way that doesn't disrupt the flow of traffic on the highway. Now days people seem to think merging at 35 mph and making everyone on the highway get out of their way is the proper way to do it. Another thing I see people do all the time, when I see that someone is merging and I'm on the highway, I will move over into the left lane (as long as it's clear) to leave the right lane open for the merger. The merger will then merge right next to me and drive exactly the same speed I'm driving. Now I'm stuck in the left lane and can't move over, something that can't be done for very long without some mega speeder coming up from behind to ride my bumper, so then I either have to speed up or slow down so I can move back over into the right lane. I don't think driving schools are teaching people how to merge, that or these people are pushing memory erase as soon as they're done with driving school...

You might need a refresher too.

If you're in the left lane, then speed up.

Either get enough speed to move back into the right or just stay there and increase speed. There's nothing that says the guy in the right lane has to speed up or slow down so you can move into it.

You're driving the car. Drive it.

When i took driver's ed, I was taught merging is both the responsibility of the car merging and the cars in the right lane, equally. Lately I've read that it is now the responsibility of the car merging only.

For the people merging on the freeway, they should realize they only need a few car lengths space to merge if they get up to freeway speed. If you're merging at 40 mph, you'll probably need 15 to 20 car lengths space to merge, which rarely appears where I drive, and forces people to slam on their brakes.

I've seen some pretentious people merging on the freeway completely ignore the traffic on the freeway, never turning their head to find a gap, expecting everyone else to accomodate them.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Either get enough speed to move back into the right or just stay there and increase speed. There's nothing that says the guy in the right lane has to speed up or slow down so you can move into it.

If that's the case, then the person merging isn't merging properly. They should control their speed in such a way that doesn't disrupt the traffic flow of those on the highway. I shouldn't have to make any speed adjustments for mergers, and I only move over as a cortousey to them...

Last edited:
Back when I was driving a Hazmat truck I had a guy merging onto the freeway next to me. He kept going the same speed as me until he ran out of road and had to skid to a stop. I had no place to go and was not slowing down as I was climbing a grade. He called my dispatcher and claimed I intentionally ran him off the road. I had to explain what happened. I am done with these idiots.

This.

Technically the driver on the on-ramp must yield to traffic when getting onto the highway. In reality they figure that your desire to avoid rear ending them is greater than their desire to merge at the appropriate speed. Always remember that driving laws in the US are geared for the lowest common denominator.

I'm a slow driver so I'll sit in the right lane doing a constant speed so that the person entering the highway can adapt to road speed and find a spot. Some will come up beside me and just sit there matching my speed. As the lane starts to end they honk their horn. Some people just don't get it.

I've noticed just about everyone speeds up about 10 seconds after they get on the highway.

A friend of mine used to drive a truck. He had someone pull right into the side of his truck as the lane ended, but the lane didn't actually end, just the paint line came over and a good clear paved shoulder continued.

If that's the case, then the person merging isn't merging properly. They should control their speed in such a way that doesn't disrupt the traffic flow of those on the highway. I shouldn't have to make any speed adjustments for mergers, and I only move over as a cortousey to them...

You need to drive defensively. In theory you shouldn't need to, but the reality is different. Once they're in a lane, you don't have any rights to it. You don't own two lanes at the same time. It would be a courtesy if they responded in kind, but obviously people don't reciprocate.

Even worse I have a cloverleaf that cars are trying to merge into my lane and I am trying to merge into their lane. It backs up and people just block the one trying to get onto that highway and act like you are in the wrong for trying to get were they are. Have been told this is one of the highest accident areas in the country and they have been talking about redoing it for years. It's Louisville, KY Gene Snyder Hwy to I-71 if anyone knows of it.

when I see that someone is merging and I'm on the highway, I will move over into the left lane (as long as it's clear) to leave the right lane open for the merger. The merger will then merge right next to me and drive exactly the same speed I'm driving. Now I'm stuck in the left lane and can't move over, something that can't be done for very long without some mega speeder coming up from behind to ride my bumper, so then I either have to speed up or slow down so I can move back over into the right lane. I don't think driving schools are teaching people how to merge, that or these people are pushing memory erase as soon as they're done with driving school...

Why do you see this as being the "correct" way?
I understand your logic, but when you start tying up the fast lane by doing this, you end up causing more traffic delays for everyone.

IMHO, the best way to allow for mergers is to either speed up, or slow down to give them a spot to take.
That way you are not causing any disruptions of the fast lane.
The fast lane stays "fast" and the slow lane remains "slow".

I practiced this over the long weekend. When I was in the slow lane and the person in the merging lane was expecting me to pass, I simply flashed my high beams to indicate the "coast was clear" for them to change lanes.
They then went ahead of me and flashed their hazard lights as a "thank you" gesture.

That's my logic at least.

The fundamental thing is that when someone comes up the on ramp, there is about to be another car on the highway, a situation that experts refer to as "traffic." It is an inevitable "disruption."

The guy came out doing the speed limit just like you wanted him to, and you are ready to complain about that as well.

Either pass him, or if he's still speeding up, slow up a little and get behind him. If there's heavy traffic in the right lane it is OK to be in the left lane.

OMG, this is a huge problem for me.

Most highway speeds are 70-75 around here, so you need to be going at minimum 65 when you are at the bottom of the ramp. There's a lot of people out there that end up only at 40-45 and it's dangerous for them and those blocked behind them.

The number one offender of this (well over 50% of the time) are Prius drivers. I get that not using the gas pedal down the ramp gets you a 99mpg rating, but you're going to have someone killed. I know those cars are capable of 70mph.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
when I see that someone is merging and I'm on the highway, I will move over into the left lane (as long as it's clear) to leave the right lane open for the merger. The merger will then merge right next to me and drive exactly the same speed I'm driving. Now I'm stuck in the left lane and can't move over, something that can't be done for very long without some mega speeder coming up from behind to ride my bumper, so then I either have to speed up or slow down so I can move back over into the right lane. I don't think driving schools are teaching people how to merge, that or these people are pushing memory erase as soon as they're done with driving school...

Why do you see this as being the "correct" way?
I understand your logic, but when you start tying up the fast lane by doing this, you end up causing more traffic delays for everyone.

IMHO, the best way to allow for mergers is to either speed up, or slow down to give them a spot to take.
That way you are not causing any disruptions of the fast lane.
The fast lane stays "fast" and the slow lane remains "slow".

I practiced this over the long weekend. When I was in the slow lane and the person in the merging lane was expecting me to pass, I simply flashed my high beams to indicate the "coast was clear" for them to change lanes.
They then went ahead of me and flashed their hazard lights as a "thank you" gesture.

That's my logic at least.

Instead of being courteous by moving over a lane, I could just stay in the right lane and make the merger avoid me...

Originally Posted by mk378

The guy came out doing the speed limit just like you wanted him to, and you are ready to complain about that as well.

Regardless of the speed of the merger, it's still their responsibility to merge without forcing drivers on the highway to speed up, slow down, or to have to move out of their way...

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
I simply flashed my high beams to indicate the "coast was clear" for them to change lanes.

That is universally what it means to truck drivers, but some car drivers think that flashing headlights means just the opposite -- "get out of my way". So it's not a good idea to flash your lights at a car. And some truckers ignore cars flashing at them, assuming that the car driver is an idiot (a safe bet).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back