post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2003 Liberty with the 45RFE/SelecTrac; the brat brought it over Monday & tapped her heels while she waited.

Tweaked the valve body + band adjustment over lunch.

Drained/flushed/refilled the transfer case while the transmission fluid continued to drain, and the valve body was drying out after a cleaning.

Mopar filters, LubeLocker pan gasket. None of that RTV nonsense on pans & diffs for me.

Mopar ATF+4 used in the 45RFE, and Amsoil ATF in the NP242.

ATF+4 - drained & refilled in 2004, black as Hades. Drained & refilled in 2006, black as Hades. I've heard the ControlTrac/SelecTrac transfer cases in other vehicles moan & groan on ATF+3, Dex, +4 after 3-5 years.

The Amsoil ATF-U keeps on ticking without moans/groans for far longer. Kinda nice considering the 242 has a center diff that thrashes & shears the fluid.

The other transfer case in different vehicles, the problem child NP249...well, a Group 4 ATF like Amsoil or Redline every 3 years keeps that viscous coupling happy.

Gave the brat free Kubota cleaner after the instruction; the last time she drained "blood fluid" from a vehicle was in 2003, but she didn't have manicure back then :-D

‘15 Grand Caravan. 75k on van. We bought it in January. I'm guessing the ATF has never been changed.

Replaced pan with an Ultra Power pan with a drain plug.

NAPA ATF+4 and a NAPA filter kit

2001 Volvo V70, Aisin Warner AW55 transmission

Out: almost certainly factory fill with 115,000 miles on it, jet black, thin and absolutely disgusting
In: Mannol OEM Multivehicle JWS3309, approx 10 litres by cooler line exchange

Feels noticeably better, no more hesitant shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, and much quicker engagement of drive and reverse when shifting between the two.

Originally Posted by Red91
93 Chevy 1500
4l60
Out: unknown, Wynn's transmission flush
In: acdelco type III, Wynn's transmission treatment

What is this Wynn's? I've heard of and used lubegard before. Is it any better/worse/same? Also know of BG tranny products, but wary.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Originally Posted by Red91
93 Chevy 1500
4l60
Out: unknown, Wynn's transmission flush
In: acdelco type III, Wynn's transmission treatment

What is this Wynn's? I've heard of and used lubegard before. Is it any better/worse/same? Also know of BG tranny products, but wary.

I saw Wynn's products When I first started taking care of cars back ~1968, I din't know they were still around.

Whimsey

2016 Mercedes-Benz E350 RWD, 85.3K miles.

Transmission:
Installed Genuine MB pan gasket, trans filter, new one-time use bolts and drain plug gasket. I used about 4.8-4.9L of Pentosin ATF134FE to refill. The fluid level was set at 45C. This particular 722.9 does not have a torque converter drain plug.
Last service was 43K ago and the fluid still appeared blue/green.

Differential:
Installed 1.1-1.2L of Fuchs Titan Sintopoid FE 75W-85 (MB 235.7 approved). Last change was also 43K ago. The old fluid was pitch black.

Last edited:
Wynn's has made flushes and treatments for a long time, I believe they're still in business but not sure. We offer transmission, cooling system, ps and brake fluid flushes at the shop I work at now, and we stock these flush chemicals and subsequent treatments as kits. I personally don't care for flushes, rather more frequent exchanges, but it's not my call and won't be. I'll tell you one thing, the machines to do these services are well worth the investment. We never had such at my dad's shop, of course we rarely did flushes.

Chevrolet aveo sedan 2011 1.6.

43,000 miles
Out: original. Must have been aisin T-IV of some kind.
In: Toyota T-IV.

New filter and sump gasket after cleaning. 3 litres drained the first change.
2 further drain and refills in following 7 days. (2 litres each)

2015 (?) Nissan Altima, 114, perhaps 20K OCI

Out: approx 4 quarts Valvoline Synthetic CVT
In: 4.1 quarts Castrol Synthetic CVT (it's red like ATF).

Car is a Hertz prior rental; had almost 80K when we got it.
Serviced CVT 1st time; fluid was really dark brown/black; looked bad. I was worried...
Used Valvoline Synthetic fluid; transmission pulled noticibly better.
Did it a second time after maybe 5K miles; fluid looked better; car pulled better again.
Just serviced it a 3rd time; fluid looked really good. Used Castrol this time.

My friend said; wow, it feels much stronger.
I bought a dipstick off flea bay for like $12 to check the fluid. 4.1 quarts seems perfect.

Anyone who sez don't service a CVT has not serviced a CVT.
I am very happy with the results; I expect this car to run a long time.

In my opinion, the Valvoline and Castrol CVT Synthetics are excellent fluids.

Last edited:
2010 Toyota Corolla LE, 70,786 miles (bought last summer):

Out: 3 quarts probably original Toyota ATF
In: 3 quarts Amsoil OE Fuel Efficient ATF (with a little help)

[Linked Image]

2005 Chevy 4L60e....Siphon/fill 3.25 qts. Out- Supertech Mercon/Dexron conventional, in same. 204,000 miles and pan has never been off. I do this every other OCI. $2.96 qt at Wally's, so less than $10 and takes about 20 minutes.

Just installed new radiator in an 01 Tacoma, decent amount of ATF drained from cooler lines in process. Looked rather dirty too. After radiator did simple sump d&f, ~2qts MaxLife MV.

2001 Subaru Forester. Drained out about 3.75 quarts, refilled with a quart of Valvoline synthetic import vehicle ATF (left over from the last change), ten ounces of Amsoil Torque-Drive I had left from another fill, the remainder Amsoil ATF.

Out, ATF DW1, in Idemitsu H Plus + 3oz Lubguard Red in the 2008 TL

Slowly swapping everything over to the H Plus as its a slightly better deal than buying 12 quarts of DW1 at a time and Amazon has started selling the 5qt bottles.

Back