VW Jetta TDI used dieselgate cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by JustinH
Are the basic gas model VW Jettas and Passat's decent cars?

Don't buy a car before 2013 and don't buy a vw that has had 10k oil changes . If you buy a low mile VW and take care of it they last a long time . I myself will never buy a car again with over 5k miles.

KjMack,
could you elaborate?

Thank you

I'm not speaking for Kjmack , but I believe the recent gas Jettas and Passat's have greatly improved reliability versus the earlier offerings. Dashboard-light.com has ratings above average for their latest Jetta and well above average for the Passat stats as shown in the links I have provided below.
The earlier models have chronic reliability stats.
I drive a 2017 Jetta with not a single issue so far. Not even a recall.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Volkswagen_Jetta.html
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Volkswagen_Passat.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Huie83
Originally Posted by pezzy669
So after my post early last month my '11 E350 was unfortunately totaled out (horrific Mercedes depreciation - despite no airbag deployment it was still totaled at only ~$10k in repair estimate).

Picked up a CPO (2 year/unlimited bumper to bumper) '12 Jetta Sportwagen w/65k miles 2 weeks ago. Entire fuel system, long block and exhaust system are covered until 2023 or 120k miles. $9500 - $10.2k out the door. This has to be by far one of the best used vehicle values I have ever encountered or taken advantage of.

I am pleased as punch with the car so far. Only bad is the tires while having plenty of tread are hard as rocks from sitting for ~1.5-2 years.

Replacement tires must be luck of the draw, especially if they had plenty of tread. My 2013 Golf TDI had new tires and breaks up front when I picked it up a few months ago. There is evidence they just turned the rear rotors as when I put my winter tires on part of the VIN was written on the rotor face in Sharpie.

Congrats either way. The warranty is pretty awesome! This TDI is my first diesel and so far after 6K miles I love it!

Yeah I think they just got the green light for CPO because they still had tons of tread (8/32"s rear, 9/32"s front - the Pilot Sport AS3 start out at 10/32"s new). Looking at the date code they are only ~3 years old so they were put on maybe a year before it was parked. Fortunately now that I have put ~600 miles on the car the traction has gotten better so maybe I am wearing off the sun baked layers.

Even only 600 miles in I am happier and happier ever day with this car. Going in on Monday for a new sunshade on the panoramic roof, new a/c compressor and a new drivers vent (adjuster broken) all for the stunning cost of $50. If you need to take advantage of the CPO its only $50 per visit not $50 per issue so try to get as much done on one repair order at one time.

Originally Posted by Huie83
So after my post early last month my '11 E350 was unfortunately totaled out (horrific Mercedes depreciation - despite no airbag deployment it was still totaled at only ~$10k in repair estimate).

Picked up a CPO (2 year/unlimited bumper to bumper) '12 Jetta Sportwagen w/65k miles 2 weeks ago. Entire fuel system, long block and exhaust system are covered until 2023 or 120k miles. $9500 - $10.2k out the door. This has to be by far one of the best used vehicle values I have ever encountered or taken advantage of.

I am pleased as punch with the car so far. Only bad is the tires while having plenty of tread are hard as rocks from sitting for ~1.5-2 years.

Replacement tires must be luck of the draw, especially if they had plenty of tread. My 2013 Golf TDI had new tires and breaks up front when I picked it up a few months ago. There is evidence they just turned the rear rotors as when I put my winter tires on part of the VIN was written on the rotor face in Sharpie.

Congrats either way. The warranty is pretty awesome! This TDI is my first diesel and so far after 6K miles I love it!

Yeah I think they just got the green light for CPO because they still had tons of tread (8/32"s rear, 9/32"s front - the Pilot Sport AS3 start out at 10/32"s new). Looking at the date code they are only ~3 years old so they were put on maybe a year before it was parked. Fortunately now that I have put ~600 miles on the car the traction has gotten better so maybe I am wearing off the sun baked layers.

Even only 600 miles in I am happier and happier ever day with this car. Going in on Monday for a new sunshade on the panoramic roof, new a/c compressor and a new drivers vent (adjuster broken) all for the stunning cost of $50. If you need to take advantage of the CPO its only $50 per visit not $50 per issue so try to get as much done on one repair order at one time.

May I recommend a trip to Nashville and back early on Saturday/Sunday (to bypass the slow drivers)?
It will work/warm the tires and do the engine in good mood.

So - added another dieselgate special to our stable after almost a month long test drive of my '12.

My other half had until today a '03 BMW 325i that was in no condition to pass our areas required emissions inspection and the repairs needed were something we both deemed beyond economic value for what the car was worth. Funny enough we test drove both a 1.8T and TDI and even coming from the high strung BMW 2.5 6 cylinder he much preferred the TDI torque and powerband - I about fell out of the 1.8T when he said he liked the TDI better and was not a fan of the 1.8T - last thing I expected.

So we went home with a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI - Certified Preowned with the 2 year/unlimited bumper to bumper warranty. Emissions warranty until 2023. Only has 47k on the clock. Was a South Carolina car and did not go into TDI jail (storage) until 2/2017 so it only sat for ~1 year.

Get the dieselgate deals while you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back