Why Do Some Folks Dislike Fram Oil Filters?

Somebody must like them because you see them in about every automotive store and people do buy them. I know part of the problem is articles that are biased and claim Fram is not as good as other filters. Anyone can make a survey and report accordingly. I have started using Ultras but the Mobil 1 came out with the big rebate and therefore I obtained the discount with the Mobile 1 oil and filter.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by chainblu
I keep seeing, "There are better filters for less money". Ok, who?

Of course, that can be location dependent. Here's my comparison, quoting regular prices from Canadian Tire to keep comparisons fair:

$8.29 - Fram orange can
$6.49 - Canadian Tire "Certified" label
$6.99 - Canadian Tire MotoMaster house brand
$9.99 - Canadian Tire MotoMaster OE Plus
$9.29 - Quaker State

The orange can is priced only middling even on Canadian Tire shelves. I didn't bother listing the Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, or K&N Gold, since they're not really in competition here; they run from $15.49 to $18.99. If I compare to other brands, which I have to obtain at other retailers, I'm talking around $8 for the Wix (four Wix part numbers will fit my G37, and some are a little above that price and some are a little below that). I can get a Hastings for $7.99 and the Baldwin version for under $5.

If it were a Tough Guard for $8.29 every day of the week, then we have something.

Where are you finding WIX filters for $8? I'm at least 12 if not more. Where are you buying the Hasting filters?

I switched to Fram ordered through Amazon. I'll run the UG for the same price or less than a WIX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The only thing I don't like about them are the thin flimsy cans and the sloppy construction. The Ultra would probably be the perfect filter if they'd only thicken up the cans.

Even though the cans are thin, I believe their burst strength is pretty good, and when was the last time you heard about an oil filter bursting?

Of all the time I've been here, I don't recall any filter regardless of brand having a can blow-out from oil pressure. A few "double base gasket" incidents, but that's a different problem (installer error).

Excuses excuses haha

It's hard to answer "why" questions when the premise is wrong. I haven't seen anyone do anything but express their opinions and pictures. It is OK to express an opinion about what is seen defective. Even if the opinion is wrong, it's all in good faith here. That doesn't mean anyone here "dislikes Fram." It's the same as talking about tears in Purolators, closed louvers, or any defect. It's allowed on all. Out in the rest of the world there are unfairly biased people against any brand of anything.

As for can thickness, Frams are not a high cost filter except for their racing filters which are high cost and do have a thicker can. It could be a topic why can thickness is important when there is a pressure relief valve, and Fram videos show filters being pressure tested. The video shows the gasket bursting and the can remains perfect. It may be under racing conditions or off road only a thicker can is needed. They also show filters being pressure tested with pulses and the cans are ballooning in and out.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Patman
when was the last time you heard about an oil filter bursting?

I never have,but seeing most oil filters are completely exposed to anything killed up from the road,I'd like them to be thick and durable. Their center tubes are thin and sloppy too. I'd like to see the Ultra go to a thicker can and heavier duty,more precision made center tube.

True, that's a good point. In my Corvette the filter is shielded pretty well by the oil pan so it would be a one in a million shot if some road debris were to ever take it out.

"Regardless of brand" ... your narrow view reading glasses are on as usual.
grin2.gif

A few years ago a few guys here measured the can thickness of many filters and they were all within a few thousands of an inch.

Yeah I agree it is not necessary if the filter is not in a place to be exposed. I will say my lady's friends Rogue has a filter to where it could very possibily get hit by road debris. I'd rather have a thicker can on that vehicle.

Originally Posted by FastLane
Where are you finding WIX filters for $8? I'm at least 12 if not more. Where are you buying the Hasting filters?

I have a couple Wix suppliers here, one of which is part of the Auto Parts Plus network. The Hastings are available at Peavey Mart. The Baldwins, which are the same, are available at a better price, as I quoted, through Acklands. The in person price is actually even cheaper than what they quote online.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah I agree it is not necessary if the filter is not in a place to be exposed. I will say my lady's friends Rogue has a filter to where it could very possibily get hit by road debris. I'd rather have a thicker can on that vehicle.

I have a Mazda and a Ford both where it is fully exposed and underneath. Also a Toyota that it is partially exposed.

Yeah I think in those cases... I'd want a stout filter casing.... Like a Royal Purple, Purolator Boss, Mobil 1, Baldwin, or Hastings... Even a large dent could cause a issue I bet... And I'd rather have a casing a lot tougher just in case.

I have a couple Wix suppliers here, one of which is part of the Auto Parts Plus network. The Hastings are available at Peavey Mart. The Baldwins, which are the same, are available at a better price, as I quoted, through Acklands. The in person price is actually even cheaper than what they quote online.

This place has good pricing on Wix filters when on sale. Cheapest I have found. Was using them for my inlaws vehicles
https://partsavatar.ca/

Awesome. Thanks!

Originally Posted by StevieC
This place has good pricing on Wix filters when on sale. Cheapest I have found. Was using them for my inlaws vehicles

That's not a bad setup there, either, Stevie. Thanks! I'll be having to keep my eye on them for other parts, too.

FastLane: Peavey Mart can't be too hard to find in Manitoba, and I'm sure at least Winnipeg has an Acklands.
wink.gif
The one benefit to the Acklands site is that while its pricing isn't quite accurate (I found it cheaper at walk in), at least you know if a certain part is in stock.

I’ll admit I was against them for a bit. When I first began working on cars that’s all we would ever buy was Fram orange cans sometimes silver if they were on sale. Then my brother in law left an orange can on for probably 20,000+ miles as he doesn’t believe in changing the oil after 200,000 only topping off. it bursted next to the highway and left him stranded. I didn’t believe that was the filters fault so I was still ok using them after that however my brother in law still to this day refuses to use one despite his negligence on not keeping an eye on the filter and for having a bad belief that his dad taught him about not changing the oil after that mileage.

Then my dad seen a video a couple years ago can’t remember the name of the guy it was like 540RAT or Nate’s Interactive Auto or something like that that said they had a rust problem so my dad refused to buy them. At that point i believed they were bad as well so we wouldn’t run them. Well then I finally convinced him those weren’t reputable videos after showing him posts here so we found a bunch on sale at Walmart and stocked up. We still use the ones we have left but they have discontinued the ones we need which are the PH4386 and the PH3593A. We don’t want short versions we prefer to keep the length that would of came on the vehicle so I’ll probably use Wix or Napa after we run out of the orange cans we have left. So yeah there was my belief for a short time. Now I’ll use them no problem. The only filters I won’t use are store brands besides Napa I will use Napa ones. It’s no reason I’m just particular on certain things and that’s one of them no store brand oil or filters for me if I can help it.

The Purolator filters will also be hated for many years due to their media tearing issues. It takes a long time to convince people that what was once a bad product is now a good product again. Same thing happened with the Fram orange can filters.

Plus, lots of people don't fully understand oil filter construction and function. That's why non-metal end caps are hated by those that don't realize it makes no difference if done right.
Even after the years of tears, I never hear anyone recommend against Purolator at any of the parts stores. Fram? All the time. Weird.

I’ll admit I was against them for a bit. When I first began working on cars that’s all we would ever buy was Fram orange cans sometimes silver if they were on sale. Then my brother in law left an orange can on for probably 20,000+ miles as he doesn’t believe in changing the oil after 200,000 only topping off. it bursted next to the highway and left him stranded. I didn’t believe that was the filters fault so I was still ok using them after that however my brother in law still to this day refuses to use one despite his negligence on not keeping an eye on the filter and for having a bad belief that his dad taught him about not changing the oil after that mileage.

Then my dad seen a video a couple years ago can’t remember the name of the guy it was like 540RAT or Nate’s Interactive Auto or something like that that said they had a rust problem so my dad refused to buy them. At that point i believed they were bad as well so we wouldn’t run them. Well then I finally convinced him those weren’t reputable videos after showing him posts here so we found a bunch on sale at Walmart and stocked up. We still use the ones we have left but they have discontinued the ones we need which are the PH4386 and the PH3593A. We don’t want short versions we prefer to keep the length that would of came on the vehicle so I’ll probably use Wix or Napa after we run out of the orange cans we have left. So yeah there was my belief for a short time. Now I’ll use them no problem. The only filters I won’t use are store brands besides Napa I will use Napa ones. It’s no reason I’m just particular on certain things and that’s one of them no store brand oil or filters for me if I can help it.
Believe me, Fram (especially Ultras) DO have a rust problem in areas that use salt on the roads-the Sure Grip coating can trap salty water & start rusting the can, especially if something causes a dent. Just have to check on them sometimes. Weirdly the non-Sure Grip FPS Ultras HAVE NOT done that!

Back