Is being a former "Carmax Certified" car a bonus or negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selling a car which has a small Carmax Certified sticker on the side window. Should I leave it or remove it? Do people think it's a good thing that it once was a certified car or does Carmax have negative connotations to some folks?

I'm sure you'll find both sides of the coin here.
It just depends on the preferences of the specific buyer.

Remember, the typical BITOG member is not you average car buyer so take all feedback here with a grain of salt....

Including mine.....
cheers3.gif

How many miles or years ago was it certified? People may ask that, and it could be a negative if it was over a year ago.
Good question though. I know what you're thinking (Tom Selleck doesn't, but I do...), a "one-owner" car is obviously better, but it DID pass a CarMax Good Enough For Us test. I say leave the sticker on if its been less than 1 year.

tomselleck.JPG

If that were the case I'd be wondering why would someone buy a used car then want to sell it less than a year later.

Originally Posted by mk378
If that were the case I'd be wondering why would someone buy a used car then want to sell it less than a year later.

This!

Originally Posted by atikovi
I bought it to sell so that's not an issue.
Dude they have a point about the quick turn around sale. Your buyer won't believe you when you tell them you bought it just to sell it.

Leave it on for a bit and see what kind of feedback you get. If it's negative, take it off.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Irrelevant.

+1

My BMW was a previous Certified Pre-Owned car back in the day before the previous owner bought it. Really meant nothing since it was a demo with 1500 miles on it.

Irrelevant.

Maybe. I'm doing more service to it myself then Carmax and have pictures to prove it.

I think having documentation that the car was consistently serviced is most important.

Irrelevant.

Maybe. I'm doing more service to it myself then Carmax and have pictures to prove it.

Unless you have some very rare collectable car its not an investment they depreciate are you kidding yourself?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Irrelevant.

Unless you have some very rare collectable car its not an investment they depreciate are you kidding yourself?

Proof of maintenance on daily driver you're selling is just as important to a buyer.

I'm just surprised you bought a car from carmax to flip. From many postings, it seems that they're pretty good about offering top dollar for a trade in although you can usually do a little bit better. But they're horrible for buying cars because they tend to be priced a little higher than average. As for the sticker, who knows, they might not even notice it. I've left the old CPO sticker on my Mercedes just because I don't think it'd be easy to peel off cleanly.

CarMax use to be very picky. Not so much any more. The car I bought from them, they had my unicorn, the front bumper was repainted and the inside had a large stain when they showed us the car.

That and I don't care if the first owner took really great care of the car, how did the last one do. Only takes one idiot to drive without oil, slam into a curb, etc... to waste away 100k or more of well maintained miles.

To the original poster, unless the "Carmax certification" can somehow transfer to the new buyer, I doubt it means or worth anything. What car are you selling and what's the price?

I say it depends on the potential buyer as to whether it adds value or not. To me, I say no. The CarMax certification just means everything checked out okay when CarMax checked it out before retailing it which should be fairly irrelevant to subsequent buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back