Honda self propel only spining left wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I googled and didn't find anything. When I engage the self propel lever the left wheel spin and drives the mower forward. The mower pull to the right a little because the right wheel is not engage. I tried to go up hill but couldn't. I had no problem going up hill last year. I'm stumped. When I turn one of the wheels manually, the other engaged.

What kind of wheels are they, on some non-hondas the wheels have teeth on the inside that strip out.. try taking one off and looking at it.

disclaimer: not familiar with honda OPE.

On my older Honda and the ones I've worked on, there's a spur gear at the ends of the rear axle that drive the ring gears that are molded into the rear wheels. A key could have sheared on the spur gear, or that gear isn't meshing with the ring gear?

Need to pull the rear wheels off to investigate. The system is simple to work on. Some wrenches and a pair of snap ring pliers is basically all you need.

From my eyes, to my brain, somehow it didn't transfer to my fingers. I thought I entered the model number. Anyhow, its HRR2169VKA. Same as this one but 4 years older. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-2...ower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216VKA/308769340
Last year, I took out the wheels and cleaned the half-moon, spline thingy because the wheels wouldn't turn when going backward. I'll take it apart and clean it again this weekend since it'll be snowing anyway.

You need either new wheel(s) or a new gearbox/differential...or even both...

Speaking for other brands (Stiga, Al-ko, Snapper)

Wheel (the one with a gears inside) is between 50-100euro (it depends on wich price range for a mower are we talking)...gearboxes are between 100-150euros...

There's also a one way clutch between the shaft and the small gear. This lets the outside wheel spin forward rapidly when you make a 180 turn at the end of a row. If the clutch fails that wheel won't ever get power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tundragod
Last year, I took out the wheels and cleaned the half-moon, spline thingy because the wheels wouldn't turn when going backward. I'll take it apart and clean it again this weekend since it'll be snowing anyway.

Yup mine does that every now and then. Did you get the spring installed? It can jump out, and never be seen again. The spring and spring hole need to be de-greased and then greased along with the other parts at the wheel.

I had to adjust the drive cable on mine the other week. That's the second time I have had to adjust it over the years. There is a drive cable check test, and then instructions on how to adjust the cable in the manual.

Originally Posted by mk378
There's also a one way clutch between the shaft and the small gear. This lets the outside wheel spin forward rapidly when you make a 180 turn at the end of a row. If the clutch fails that wheel won't ever get power.

^ This and you should hear a "click-click-click..." from each wheel when freewheeling indicating these dog clutches (or what ever you want to call them) are functioning.

The other issue with Honda self propelled mowers is the axle bushings.. and I may sound like broken record on those, but those will loose their lubricity and begin to bind up on you at some point. The problem is you cant tell unless you hear squeaking or the transaxle cooks from the stress of not being able to turn the drive axle easily. The bushings have to be removed and replaced, or you can get away with a good clean and re-grease of them for a few years. They are those sintered (sp?) bushings with lube built into them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back