Valvoline Maxlife vs Synpower w/ Maxlife Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the $17 Maxlife syn blend in all of my vehicles for the last 10-15 years, and typically recommend it to all my friends as well. I've always been a fan.

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking about switching over to Synpower with Maxlife Technology.

[Linked Image]

Vehicles are:
2007 Lexus ES350, 2GR-FE 135K miles
2009 Acura MDX, J37A1, 125k miles
2009 Pontiac vibe, 2az-fe, 105k miles
2013 Hyundai Azera, 3.3 GDI, 65K miles
2015 Toyota Highlander, 2gr-fe 50k miles

I have always used 5w20 Maxlife blend across the board, changed on the 5's (50k, 55k, 60k, 65k, etc) makes oil changes easy to track and easy to keep oil on hand with the fleet using the same stuff. The Lexus and Acura are new to the stable, and I have no idea what prior owners used.

So, stick with $18 Maxlife blend, or step up to $22 Synpower w/ Maxlife Tech?

With 5K OCI's I doubt you'd gain any benefit using the full syn. over the semi-syn....except for the piece of mind should you accidently exceed 5K....

I would stick with the blend at this point, unless you buy a new vehicle that requires 0w20 only. I currently drive an excessive oil burning 2az-fe. Maxlife has really helped.

Interesting... So far unanimous to stick with the OG. Not the answer I was expecting.

I have used both versions of Maxlife (5w20 blend and 0w20 syn) interchangeably along with Pennzoil Plat non-HM in my Honda Odyssey (whatever was on sale at the time). Always 5k OCI. Really haven't noticed any difference. It never used any oil and runs smooth and quiet at 98.5k.

I really don't think it will matter in the cars you listed unless one of them specs full syn. Get whatever is on sale, preferably bundled with a filter.

If you can get synthetic for the same or even a few dollars more why wouldn't you? Meijer has the second jug for half off today which puts two jugs of synthetic for $37. I'm going to load up for 4 cars and my 7.3. When you start your car in January in ohio the difference is huge.

I switched my sons 04 Taurus from maxlife blend 5-20 over to maxlife synthetic 5-30 and he picked up noitcable fuel mileage and the car didn't use the half qt between 5k oil changes. Your talking $4 not $40. I get why people use cheaper oil when the local lube charges like synthetic is panda blood, but for a diy the difference is a beer at the sports bar.

I used maxlife syn blend in a ford 4.6 2v v8 for a lot of miles.

I'd use the advanced full syn with Maxlife (synpower) for the two newer vehicles and keep using the syn blend for the older ones.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
I would stick with the blend at this point, unless you buy a new vehicle that requires 0w20 only. I currently drive an excessive oil burning 2az-fe. Maxlife has really helped.

The 2015 Highlander on his list requires 0w-20.

There IS a Maxlife 0w-20 blend but it is nearly impossible to find on retail shelves.

Originally Posted by user52165
The car with GDI will benefit with synthetic.

And a catch can.

Not quite that simple with the oil and wrong on the catch can.

Originally Posted by pbm
With 5K OCI's I doubt you'd gain any benefit using the full syn. over the semi-syn....except for the piece of mind should you accidently exceed 5K....

Yea Maxlife at 5k is very easy. Synpower-HM at 5k, for a non-turbo, is overkill and waste of money for most motors.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
Any body that uses that thin of oil and wonders why they burn some oil or have trouble with carbon should rethink what they are doing.

No need to rethink anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back