Can you use giant rubbermade as fish tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the cheapest container that size. Anything glass would cost a lot more. The fish can't really tell how much the container cost. Is this viable?

How many gallons? This'd be for simply "housing" fish as you couldn't see through it.

I've never tried this but I could see a storage tub tearing with the weight of water.

Do you own your own home or are you in an apartment house?

Common courtesy regarding other people's property might bring you to the conclusion that it isn't the smart way to go.

You can buy a proper Betta tank for $50, or less. But sure, put it in a Rubbermaid. Why not jusst leave it in the bag it came in?

Did you think to research anything before buying an animal? Go to a pet store? Ask an employee? Join a fish forum?

Bob is not the GD fish guy.

Lmao. Let's just post the goofiest stuff so we get a reaction out of the crowd to feed your need for attention. Been down this road before, lots of times. Right?

Everyday it's a thread with this guy and everyone falls for it as he sits back laughing.

Just steal the lobster tank next time you're in a supermarket, have a giant boil with all your friends, and then put the fish in the tank.

I think this is a serious question:

I did something like this years ago when I needed to breed feeder guppys for a large colony of newts. All the fish died within a week. Something leached out of the plastic and killed the fish. Of course this would depend on the type of plastic used, but I wouldn't chance it.

Originally Posted by toad
I think this is a serious question:

I did something like this years ago when I needed to breed feeder guppys for a large colony of newts. All the fish died within a week. Something leached out of the plastic and killed the fish. Of course this would depend on the type of plastic used, but I wouldn't chance it.

Was going to say, I'd think the plastic is the wrong sort.

Sounds like a great idea.

[Linked Image]

It won't last.

It will break.

The fish will die.

Your landlord will charge you for the water damage.

Even your favorite "scent" won't mask the dead fish smell for the numerous "females" that you have visiting..

Last edited:
growing up we raised fish in fiberglass bathtubs that my dad got for $10 each at the scratch and dent store. He uses rubbermaid tubs too but hes had to drill a hole in them and tie string to keep the sides from bowing out to the point it leaks. It aint pretty but it works.

One of my commercial tenants is a baker.

He gets icing in these big tubs, that seem sturdy.

I would look for something like this since they are food grade, and probably free.

They come complete with icing residue and its associated aroma that some females could find attractive, although females of the species are notorious for their unpredictability.

If the fish gig doesn't work out, you could use the tubs to start plants in. The tubs have handles, so are convenient for carrying the starter plants to the nearest public forest.

You can use what ever will hold water. I know I've used larger storage totes for temporary housing for my fish, plants and filtration. You could use it permanently if you had to.

Petco and Pet Supplies Plus have $1/gal sales a few times a year for tanks up to 55g, sometimes including 75g. That's about half off normal retail price. It's a marketing thing so you'll hopefully buy their overpriced fish, hardware and supplies.

Dude... I still can't tell if you're just posting this stuff for laughs of whatnot, but there's sites specifically for fishkeeping that are better equipped to answering these questions than BITOG. No offense to BITOG of course.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
You can buy a proper Betta tank for $50, or less. But sure, put it in a Rubbermaid. Why not jusst leave it in the bag it came in?

Did you think to research anything before buying an animal? Go to a pet store? Ask an employee? Join a fish forum?

Bob is not the GD fish guy.

LOL you forgot driving to all the different WalMarts to see which ones have the cheapest container.

OP: I'd hit up yard sales, craigslist, ebay, etc for a cheap decent condition tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back