Rust on Rockauto oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same experience. Picture showed a Carquest Blue filter. I received a brand that I had never heard of, made in Indonesia, mfg date stamp of 2010. Considerable rust on the base plate despite intact cellophane.

Response from RA was basically: tough beans. I now buy from them only as a last resort.

Sam

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
Response from RA was basically: tough beans. I now buy from them only as a last resort.

Had a similar experience. Their return process is a cryptic QA that you need to answer in the correct way otherwise it locks the order and can never return it. No email, phone number, any other option to return it. It was the wrong part for my vehicle. Did a charge back through my CC and my rockauto "account" went into hold until I paid back my "debt". Can't buy anything from them unless I become a new person (I suspect a new CC and email would be fine). They're great if everything goes right. They're terrible if you need any resemblance of custom service.

Is this a closeout part? I've had issues with items a couple times and they made it right-- once a set of spark plugs where the boxes were all tore up and the crush washers fell out (I found some in the bottom of the shipping carton but could not locate all of them). They refunded me for every spark plug and told me to keep them.

Couple oil filters I ordered were not the size advertised-- full refund, keep the oil filters. I think this is par for the course for their low-cost closeout stuff.

The only really problem I've ever had is when I cut open an oil filter that was listed as fitting my 07 Pacifica, only to find out that the filter did not have a bypass valve inside! So clearly this was a misapplication, an error in their catalog. I contacted them and they refused to update their catalog and basically told me to pound sand. After that experience I avoid shopping with them unless I'm saving a substantial amount of money.

Not a close out part, just a cheap filter. I will contact them about a return, but dont hold out much luck. Not that I really care. If they dont take it back, I'll cut it open for you guys as I know you all like that ...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Not a close out part, just a cheap filter. I will contact them about a return, but dont hold out much luck. Not that I really care. If they dont take it back, I'll cut it open for you guys as I know you all like that ...
lol.gif

Well just tell them we all wanted to know on BITOG how they were going to treat us when we bought from them.

Well they are giving me a store credit for this filter, but I have to keep it for two weeks in case they wanted. After that will cut up for viewing.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Well they are giving me a store credit for this filter, but I have to keep it for two weeks in case they wanted. After that will cut up for viewing.

I'm curious about the two week thing. Perhaps they will get another order for it and get it from you?

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Interested to see what it looks like inside!

It's gonna be nasty
For what it cost
Just keep it and cut it open for the world to see

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Interested to see what it looks like inside!

It's gonna be nasty
For what it cost
Just keep it and cut it open for the world to see

Good point, I'll get into it ASAP

It looks like it's rusted on the inside threads so it can't wash off and be filtered before going through the gallies and all. Also the media is probably full of moisture.
Does rock Auto have a return policy?

Originally Posted by sgtrockjoe
Return it and get your money back.

For $2 bucks ...³...³...³
Naw
Cut it open !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back