Can cars do automatic updating these days to software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
moms 2017 CRV can be hooked up to the wifi as can our 2019 Tucson. when hooked to wifi, can they do automatic updating of software that used to require going to the dealer?

Last edited:
My wife's 2017 Escape with Sync 3 is "supposed" to do auto updating, but it never works, and refuses to update even if I manually do it. Next time its at the dealer I will make a warranty claim on the issue.

I know the 8.4" uconnect in FCA vehicles can get OTA updates. It's only for the radio, not the rest of the car though.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
With todays technology they can in fact they can also do things to invade your privacy etc. etc. etc.

Need a tin-foil hat for your car.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
With todays technology they can in fact they can also do things to invade your privacy etc. etc. etc.

But, but, but... if you ask Alexa, she'll tell you how much gas you currently have in the tank.
smile.gif

I think perhaps the odds of you bricking something are too great to allow for that to take place right now. As noted by Skippy, UConnect will update itself over the air, but the car doesn't get any of its numerous embedded systems updated in that manner. That requires a WiTech diagnostic pod, which can update those modules, which is done typically over WiFi as well, but the WiFi interfaces the pod, not the system, and there are recovery procedures for if something does go batty. Often, these updates require sequencing of turning things off and on and a fair bit of interaction, certainly not practical for an end user.

I think its a terrible idea for any critical vehicle systems. If something goes amiss and it does occasionally

* you face disabling vehicle
* who is liable and hook for tow bill and also correcting issue?
* also makes auto makers especially software developers more lax about releasing and testing software

I think there is also too much worry about possible hacking of critical vehicle software for this to be widespread....imagine if an unfriendly entity could make millions of cars stop working at once.

Tesla does push OTA updates to their fleet, but I wonder of other manufacturers are able to as well without running afoul of applicable state dealer franchise agreements.

Last edited:
For GM's, Onstar knows where you are, the air pressure in your tires, and which warning lights you might have. It knows this stuff whether you pay for it or not. Also, even as long as 10 years ago it could unlock you car doors via a satellite. I had a free upgrade to their 4 G system which turns my 2008 Suburban into a rolling internet hot spot. Even though I opted out after the free trial period, the Onstar voice will come on once every several months to remind me I have the system and can activate it for a " small " fee. I haven't yet heard of them downloading software but I'll bet it wouldn't take much for the next version to have it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I think there is also too much worry about possible hacking of critical vehicle software for this to be widespread....imagine if an unfriendly entity could make millions of cars stop working at once.

Like the Chi-Coms ? Russians ? The Greeny Wenies ?

It would only take a hacking and controlling a few vehicles to bring commerce to a screeching halt. Control the auto-pilot, brakes, etc. and you could easily cause crashes which would shut down any mid-large city and destroy critical infrastructure. Disable 1% of the cars on the freeway and you'd have chaos and more accidents. Reprogram a few critical sensors, like a throttle position sensor, and you'd have runaway vehicles and more crashes.

Wasn't there a video from a few years ago of hackers taking control of an FCA vehicle while it was on the road?

I think they found a vulnerability in the uConnect system that let them take over or interfere with brake, throttle and other functions.

Not sure I'd be in favor of OTA updates of the PCM or other such systems.

If I lose my infotainment, no big deal. If the PCM no longer works because some update was bad... I'd not be a happy customer.

My 2019 Ram is constantly flashing a message saying it is updating but I figure it's just the SiriusXM radio... I have the 8" UConnect, not the mega-huge 12" screen.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Like the Chi-Coms ? Russians ? The Greeny Wenies ?

They are all working together, right??
;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back