Nissan Matic-S alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I drive a 2010 Nissan Frontier SE V6 4.0L
I want to drain and change the ATF and noticed that all over it says to not use anything besides he Nissan Matic-S fluid. Is there any safe alternatives to use for the transmission so that I could save some money? It's not under warranty anymore.
Thanks in advance!

welcome2.gif

Maxlife ATF is good stuff and widely available at Walmart for a good price
smile.gif

Another good choice is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. It often goes on sale at the parts stores for $5/qt (a few times a year, they have the sale)

Originally Posted by Shakenbake
I drive a 2010 Nissan Frontier SE V6 4.0L
I want to drain and change the ATF and noticed that all over it says to not use anything besides he Nissan Matic-S fluid.

Did they jump to "S" in 2010 ? I have an '08 Infiniti that specs "J" and surprised they jumped to "S" in just 1-2 years. Then again, maybe "S" stands for "synthetic" because I think it did become a proper synthetic fluid at that point.

Transmax DEXRON-VI ? That's the first time I've seen anyone recommend that. Castrol doesn't list anything other than GM specs though.

The Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF does list Matic applications. I use the predecessor to that, the import multi-vehicle variety, for my Matic-J transmission. I do plan to switch to the full synthetic as my car as well as my wife's Fusion can use it (and it's approved, licensed, etc by Ford for Mercon LV applications).

Going back to the "recommended" part - I have to believe that the fluid manufacturers have 150% confidence in their product when they recommend it. Is that the case ? It's certainly safe for them to not say they cover a particular application. Only downside is less sales.

Nissan Matic-S is a proprietary manufacturer specification just as is Honda's ATF DW-1. Only the Nissan branded product will have actual Matic-S approval and no aftermarket product can or will.

But there is no evidence it is anything special and as a result any name-brand fluid that says it is acceptable for that application should be... acceptable.

I used to have a Fronty and only used Matic S. The cost at the dealer was not too different than going to a store for other non-compliant fluids. Why risk tranny issues over a couple of bucks?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Nissan Matic-S is a proprietary manufacturer specification just as is Honda's ATF DW-1. Only the Nissan branded product will have actual Matic-S approval and no aftermarket product can or will.

But there is no evidence it is anything special and as a result any name-brand fluid that says it is acceptable for that application should be... acceptable.
Personally I tend to believe that a product such as Matic-S or DW-1 or WS is just a private-labeled version of an otherwise off-the-shelf product. It can make sense for different reasons - manufacturer specs a product with given requirements and an existing product meets or exceeds it so why re-invent something, the fluid producer and automaker benefits from volume production, etc, etc. Of course, non-disclosure agreements mean neither will publicly admit this is the case.

Originally Posted by kschachn

But I heard from my cousin's sister's best friend that was cleaning inside a Honda plant that they saw Idemitsu bottles and Idemitsu makes their own version of DW-1, so it must be the same product ! Right ?

Same 'thinking' I have....

Originally Posted by hootbro
I think these multi-vehicle ATF makers like Valvoline, Mobil, AMSOIL and a host of others have done their homework. In my opinion, most of these vehicle makers that spec low viscosity fluids Mercon LV, Dexron VI, Toyota WS, Matic S and others, are all basically calling for the same fluid but pride does not allow them to call out an already made fluid used in other makes and they then spec their own fluid and call it something proprietary.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I think these multi-vehicle ATF makers like Valvoline, Mobil, AMSOIL and a host of others have done their homework. In my opinion, most of these vehicle makers that spec low viscosity fluids Mercon LV, Dexron VI, Toyota WS, Matic S and others, are all basically calling for the same fluid but pride does not allow them to call out an already made fluid used in other makes and they then spec their own fluid and call it something proprietary.

The majority if not all the above fluids recommend a DEXRON type fluid.

As an aside, the Nissan and Infiniti manuals specifically call to use Dexron-Vi as PSF.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
As an aside, the Nissan and Infiniti manuals specifically call to use Dexron-Vi as PSF.
wink.gif

The Canadian ones do. The US ones actually say

Genuine NISSAN PSF or equivalent (8)
8: Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid or DEXRON VI type ATF may also be used.

Personally I tend to believe that a product such as Matic-S or DW-1 or WS is just a private-labeled version of an otherwise off-the-shelf product. It can make sense for different reasons - manufacturer specs a product with given requirements and an existing product meets or exceeds it so why re-invent something, the fluid producer and automaker benefits from volume production, etc, etc. Of course, non-disclosure agreements mean neither will publicly admit this is the case.

And you would be closer to the actual situation than you might think.

A bit of history,.

When the Japanese, Koreans, and other Asian country Manf. began producing automatic transmissions a lot of technology was "borrowed" from Detroit.

In order to be competitive, many of the same type-components were used (instead of say redesigning wet clutch packs or specifying new clutch disk materials).

Now since many of the same internal type-components were used, this meant the Dynamic Coefficients of the Fluid/Clutch-Pack system was very, very similar.

In addition, since Detroit and Afton and Lubrizol already had the patents on the additives, Idemitsu and other asian chemical giants Licensed those patents and processes.

This is why NissanMatic D is essentially a Dex (IIIH)/Merc spec and why NissanMatic S is a Dexron VI-type LV spec.

Many other fluids from many of the Asian Manf. are in the same situation.

From the Nissan Fluid Informational Site:

Automatic Transmission Fluid
In most cases, buying ATF from your Nissan or Infiniti
dealer is the only option. Doing anything else is asking
for trouble. There are quite a few types of Nissan
transmission fluid, and unless you are very familiar with
the Nissan product line requirements, you'll need to
check the manual with every service.

Matic D
Matic D is the oldest of the Nissan AT fluids. Nissan
describes Matic D as an ashless petroleum-based ATF
with low zinc content. The ash in other fluids may
cause a change in friction response. Zinc may adhere
to the clutch linings and cause slippage and damage. In
a pinch, Dexron III can be used. However, Dexron III is
a GM specification and trademark, and while it is the
most similar to Nissan Matic D, it is not necessarily the
same. Matic D is competitively priced and it's always
the safest bet for Nissan cars requiring Matic D.

Matic J
Matic J fluid must be used in vehicles for which it is
specified. Nissan was so worried about the wrong fluid
being added and damaging the transmission, they took
the extraordinary steps of bolting the dipstick in place
on the 350Z, and removing the dipstick entirely on the
first G35, in order to impede the progress of those who
had not read the manual. However, Matic J has now
been superseded by Matic S for automatic transmission applications. Matic J is still required for some
transfer case applications.

Matic S
As of this writing, if you order Matic J from your
Nissan or Infiniti dealer, you'll receive Matic S. Don't
worry, it's not a mistake. It's safe to use Matic S for
automatic transmission applications requiring Matic J.
However, in transfer cases you must use the type of
fluid specified in the manual. Matic S must be used in
seven-speed automatic transaxles.

Matic K
Matic K, introduced in the 2004 Maxima, is another
fluid that is different from all others. Unlike motor oil's
API specifications, where each new specification is
backwards compatible and supersedes the prior
specification, you cannot count on this being true
with Nissan transmission fluid. Most of the fluids
are specific to the transmissions for which they
were intended. Matic K cannot be replaced with
any other fluid.

Matic W
Matic W is used in the Altima Hybrid HEV transaxle,
also known as the eCVT. Using any other type of fluid
will damage the transaxle and void the warranty. Matic
W should not be exposed to moisture, so it should be
kept in a sealed container, just like brake fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
And you would be closer to the actual situation than you might think.
I was hoping you'd confirm, errrr, I mean, comment on my thoughts.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
From the Nissan Fluid Informational Site:

Nissan really stands firm with their ATF "requirements", don't they ? I had read that their firm stance actually got them in trouble with some consumer protection type agency. They had very strong wording in their manuals basically saying if you use anything else, we will deny warranty claims but Castrol, etc "recommend" their ATFs in these applications so either a) they're 150% confident that their fluid will not be the cause of an issue or b) know that Nissan's threat doesn't hold weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back