Crabgrass!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fertilized (weed and feed) my lawn for the first time 2 weeks ago, now I have crabgrass that I have never had before. What gives, and how can I get rid of it?

Crab grass is best stopped by using a preemergent. There are crab grass herbicides that don't always get the best reviews.

Good luck getting rid of it. Despite what you may read, it's darn near impossible to get rid of and not harm the grass around it once it emerges.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Good luck getting rid of it. Despite what you may read, it's darn near impossible to get rid of and not harm the grass around it once it emerges.

So should I wait and use a preemergant next year?

There are post emergent ways of getting rid of it but I would focus on prevention in the spring. Dithiopyr is a good product to use in the spring, when soil temps hit around 50-55 F. It also has some post emergent qualities too for crabgrass that has just sprouted if you are late with getting it down.

I've had the most success with pre-emergent treatments.

For stuff that is already growing, Ortho Weed-b-gone with crabgrass control works well.

You have to lay down the pre-emergent before the soil temp gets to 55 F. An old sage once told me to use certain Holidays to gauge one's lawn fertilization programme. Fertilizer with crab grass prevention around Valentine's day, apply a grass safe broadleaf weed control (pref liquid) around Easter if weeds are appearing, fertilize on or near Memorial Day and Labor Day, apply winterizer at Thanksgiving.

Don't know if the Old Sage knew WTH he was talking about, but it seemed to me a logical course of action to maintain and build one's turf.

They make hybrid Crabgrass in case there is someone you don't like.

It is actually a decent cattle forage.

Rod

When the forsythia flowers fall, it's too late too use a pre-emergent. I have had great success with a post emergent but I have a pesticide license and buy commercial grade products though many do not require a license. A license is only necessary for restricted products.

Are you positive it is crab grass? Could you snap a few close up photos, including the stem and leaf sheath? Here's some good pics at all life stages: http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/crabgrass-pictures.html

The herbicide Quinclorac is labeled for post emergent control of both grassy and some broadleaf weeds. Available in either a dry flowable or liquid formulation, it has a "caution" label, safer than "warning" or "danger" signal wording. Both smooth and large crab grass species are on the label.

https://www.google.com/search?clien.....0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.bcko4EmwHwQ

Home Depot has a version with Quinclorac in it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/IMAGE-Crabgrass-Killer-3-Pack-100099416/202277681

A healthy lawn will usually prevent most crabgrass from germinating and growing, but I am not up on Florida turf varieties and management.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
They make hybrid Crabgrass in case there is someone you don't like.

It is actually a decent cattle forage.

Rod

^that is truly horrible^

First I would talk to your county extension and ask how you can get your soil tested. You need to get your soil in good shape so your grass can really grow as it should as a lush and full lawn will cut way down on weeds. The soil in many lawns is acid and need some lime applied. Your soil test will tell you how many pounds per 1000 SQ FT. Your soil test will also tell you about fertilizer needs. This will not happen overnight but should be your direction.

As you are working on your soil, you can plan on spreading a pre-emergent crabgrass preventer next spring when the forthsythia starts to bloom. Barricade is one of the best pre-emergents as is Dimension. Scott's products for crabgrass are not as good as the two mentioned above.

Now for this year I would use Quinclorac to kill the crabgrass. Best to use Quinclorac by itself vs a combo product that kills broadleaf weeds and crabgrass as there is typically not enough Quinclorac in the combo products.

If you can now see the crabgrass it germinated many weeks ago.

You can reseed in the fall after you have cleared out the crabgrass and other fweeds. Many people are using natual or organic fertilizer rather than chemical fertilizer. Mulching grass will cut back a little on the fertilizer requirements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
I can't get rid of the crabgrass in my backyard you would think it would be impossible to grow grass in the desert.

You probably need to work on improving your soil at the same time your are trying to get rid of crabgrass using an herbicide.

In most cases the reason people have weeds is poor soil. The weeds grow in poor soil but the grass does not do so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back