Not open for further replies.
Another well made filter off the CX3.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks good. When did Mazda stop putting end caps on these? I've cut open a few off the CX-5 and they've all had metal end caps.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Looks good. When did Mazda stop putting end caps on these?

Probably when Denso started making them.

The previous ones had metal end caps. No Skyactiv oil filter has a ADBV either. You would think bad oil would sneak around on the ends to the good side. A closer look shows the ends are glued. Nice thick media. Different, but still good.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Probably when Denso started making them.

I hate that I looked at this filter and the first thing I thought was "hmm, a Denso made filter".

Originally Posted by mcwilly
Not sure this is the second one I have cut, both the same:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...5010-7600-7-700kms-2016-cx-3#Post4964645

The one in the link looks a little different. Biggest difference is the bypass button, in this one it is round, in the one in the link is squarish (or is it just because it is opposite sides?)

So did you put the same thing back on?

Originally Posted by The Critic
Are these the real OE Mazda filters or is it one of their "value line" filters?

The value line filters are manufactured in Mexico. These are Thailand made filters. These are considered a step up from the value line.

Originally Posted by blupupher
The one in the link looks a little different. Biggest difference is the bypass button, in this one it is round, in the one in the link is squarish (or is it just because it is opposite sides?)

Denso has a round bypass valve - think the photo gives an optical illusion.

Filter looks well made indeed. It's just another OE that doesn't use metal end caps, and in this case, no end caps whatsoever. Makes all those arguments moot.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by blupupher

Denso has a round bypass valve - think the photo gives an optical illusion.

ZeeOSix, have you heard anything definitive that Mazda has or is switching to Denso from Roki? Ever since their Toyota tie up, I suspected that would be the case but have never heard the answer.

It would make sense and additionally, the Toyota alliance was made to give Mazda access to the Toyota supply stream. That may not be across the board though.

^^^ Haven't heard anything official, but it's clear that this Mazda OEM filter is Denso by the construction, especially if Mazda and Toyota are collaborating then this filter looks to be a result of that.

and the $65k question is why not use the Fram Ultra?

Look like the skyactiv certified WIX has the same bypass rating as the latest Ultra(per website specs).
And AFAIK the syntetic should flow better than the paper filter so whats the deal? - besides the warranty concerns ?

What makes this one special ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DzoG20

What makes this one special ?

Good question... Why did Mazda choose this design? This media, no ADBV, no end caps. And being the filter that supersedes previous designs.

Gotta be a reason. Mazda engineering is all about the engine and reliability is number one. A lot of different views here, still there it is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back