Isn't there an issue with the 5.0s eating oil?
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 19-2058
5.0L - Excessive Oil Consumption
01 March 2019
Model: Ford 2018 F-150
Issue: Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit excessive oil consumption
with no visible oil leaks.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the
• 2018 F-150
• 5.0L engine
For repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, completion of the procedure outlined in
this TSB does not require obtaining Prior Approval or completion of a Cost Cap.
1. Visually inspect for engine oil leaks. Are any visible leaks present?
(1). Yes - this article does not apply. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01D.
(2). No - proceed to Step 2.
2. Replace the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve. Refer to WSM, Section 303-08D.
3. Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter. Install a new manufacturer-specified oil filter. Make sure
the vehicle is positioned on a level surface and, using oil specified by the manufacturer, refill the oil pan
to a level 1L (1 quart) less than the specified fill level.
4. Run the engine for 3 minutes if hot or 10 minutes if cold. Allow for a minimum 15 minute drain back
period and then record the oil level shown on the oil level indicator. Place a mark on the backside of the
oil level indicator noting the oil level location.
5. Add the final 1L (1 quart) to complete the normal oil fill. Restart the engine and allow it to idle for 2
minutes. Turn off the engine.
6. After a 15 minute drain back period, record the location of the oil level. Mark the oil level indicator with
the new oil level location.
NOTE: Both marks should be very close to the MIN-MAX upper and lower limits or the upper and
lower holes on the oil level indicator. These marks will exactly measure the engine's use of oil,
with a one quart differential between the new marks.
7. Demonstrate to the customer the factory-calibrated marks on the oil level indicator are where the oil
should fall after an oil change with the specified fill amount. Explain this may vary slightly between MINMAX
or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator.
8. Record the vehicle mileage.
9. Advise the customer that oil level indicator readings must be taken every 320 km (200 mi) or weekly,
using the revised marks as drawn. Remind the customer the engine needs a minimum 15 minute drain
back for an accurate reading and the oil level indicator must be firmly seated in the tube prior to taking
10. When the subsequent indicator readings demonstrate a full liter (quart) has been used, record the
vehicle mileage. The mileage driven should not be less than 4,800 km (3,000 mi). The drive cycle the
vehicle has been operated under must be considered when making this calculation. It may be necessary
to have the customer bring the vehicle in for a periodic oil level indicator reading to closely monitor oil
11. Does the measured oil consumption exceed 4,800 km (3,000 mi) per liter (quart)?
(1). Yes - proceed to Step 12.
(2). No - vehicle is operating normally, no repairs are necessary. Repair is complete.
12. Replace the engine long block assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01D.
© 2019 Ford Motor Company
All rights reserved.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge,
tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or
provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do
not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the
Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended
Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent
information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.