2018 Results:
Race laps: 51
Pole: 1:41.498, Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari
Fast race lap: 1:45.149, Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes
Podium
1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
2. Kimi Raikonnen, Ferrari
3. Sergio Perez, Force India

For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
300 miles un-refueled. sub 2 second tires changes.

Rod

Looks like 300.5 Kilometers for the race....it is only "Miles" when they race in Austin.

Originally Posted by ammolab
....it is only "Miles" when they race in Austin.

And Silverstone!

I tuned into Practice 1 this morning just a few minutes after the manhole cover tore the floor out of the Williams.
They cancelled the rest of the session so that the track crew could make sure the other 300+ manhole covers were tightly bolted down.
I've hardly seen any F1 this year. It seems like something always happens to keep me from watching!

Originally Posted by Garak
They do, and did, but one of them wasn't done quite right, it would seem. They also slammed a crane into a low bridge on the Williams recovery, making more of a mess.

The manhole covers at this circuit are not welded down. They have a 3 point locking system secured by bolts and from the interview by the race director, it would appear that one of the locks broke on this cover.

The crane was a complete cluster. Gotta feel for Williams.

That makes sense. When Claire was discussing the matter, she used specifically used the word "bolted." I didn't catch the race director interview, just part of Claire's. The session report mentioned something about the Williams being doused in hydraulic oil thanks the the crane fiasco.

Yeah it took an oil bath. I'm actually surprised it hasn't spawned 100 threads pontificating about the make and weight of the hydraulic oil, speculation that it was a fram filter that split from the strike or discussing the finer points of oil circulation and distribution in the crane mechanism.

The lids are "bolted" down in that there are clamps under the lids that swing out to grab the hole and are clamped in place with the bolt. I got a decent look from a brief close up in yesterday's coverage.

I'm surprised Williams personnel haven't come here looking for the best way to clean up a ginormous hydraulic oil mess.
wink.gif
Could any more have happened to both cars this weekend before the race even started? I hope someone unplugged Sir Frank's TV.

Saw the real Hamilton poke out from underneath his skirt in the post race interviews though : "I was too friendly in Turn 1, and basically gave it to him, but he drove a fantastic race, made no mistakes and so he deserved the win this weekend."

Lewis is correct, but he also needs to remember that Bottas could have been less friendly as well. Had either really decided to be unfriendly, they were only inches away from a double DNF.

Yes, Bottas didn't get given squat by Hamilton, other than that Hamilton didn't drive like an idiot to squeeze him out, nor did Bottas, similarly. Bottas had a good weekend and earned that result. Hamitlon just better hope that Ferrari doesn't figure out whatever the heck is going wrong this year or he'll have more to worry about from the other side. As it was, he could have very easily had a highly frustrated Vettel or highly frustrated Verstappen pressing harder from the rear, either of whom are quite capable of forcing a DNF. There are times to count one's blessings, and this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back