Installing an additional fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into buying a new truck (Toyota Tacoma), and *I* think it's a smart idea to install an aftermarket fuel filter. I'm sure there's a filter that's already built into the fuel pump within the tank, but I'd feel better installing an aftermarket filter somewhere else that could be changed from time to time. I just think keeping the gas as clean as it can be couldn't be a bad thing, right?

Does anyone have any suggestions on an aftermarket fuel filter that I might consider and where's a good place to mount it for easy replacement, etc.?

Thank you,
Ed

Back in the day , I drove small block Ford V-8's & there was a filter that screwed into the 2 barrel carb . The other end of the filter was the hose barb that the rubber incoming fuel line connected to .

I would buy an inline fuel filter , a short length of hose & clamps . Splice in the filter , ahead of the filter on the carb . The filter on the carb never stopped up again ! :)

Since the days of in tank fuel pumps & EFI , I have not tried to install an in line fuel filter . Some of our cars have had a replaceable inline filter , unterneath the car , that was DIY replaceable .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Back in the day , I drove small block Ford V-8's & there was a filter that screwed into the 2 barrel carb . The other end of the filter was the hose barb that the rubber incoming fuel line connected to .

I would buy an inline fuel filter , a short length of hose & clamps . Splice in the filter , ahead of the filter on the carb . The filter on the carb never stopped up again ! :)

Since the days of in tank fuel pumps & EFI , I have not tried to install an in line fuel filter . Some of our cars have had a replaceable inline filter , unterneath the car , that was DIY replaceable .

I too remember those days.

smile.gif

I *wish* there was an inline type filter like what you're describing that has a clear housing that would withstand the pressure of fuel injection, but I've not (yet) seen one.

Ed

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I would buy an inline fuel filter , a short length of hose & clamps . Splice in the filter , ahead of the filter on the carb . The filter on the carb never stopped up again ! Since the days of in tank fuel pumps & EFI , I have not tried to install an in line fuel filter . Some of our cars have had a replaceable inline filter , underneath the car , that was DIY replaceable .

I HATE THE IDEA of having the ONLY fuel filter located inside the fuel tank.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I too remember those days. I *wish* there was an inline type filter like what you're describing that has a clear housing that would withstand the pressure of fuel injection, but I've not (yet) seen one.

It doesn't need to be clear. There are plenty to choose from.

Putting it where you would like is pointless - - since the filter inside the tank would plug up first anyway

The fuel (gasoline) is pristine these days. Even a 10 year old tank would be spotless. Forget the additional fuel filter.

Buy gas at busy gas stations. But if your 200 miles into the desert and the only gas station for 200 miles is run buy a guy called "Dirty Moe" and when you look at him you know where they got the name from, then be careful buying gas. Especially if your his first customer this month and its the 30th of the month.

Originally Posted by Donald
The fuel (gasoline) is pristine these days. Even a 10 year old tank would be spotless. Forget the additional fuel filter.

My experience has been the same. A couple of years ago the fuel pump on my old BMW died, and when I opened up the 23-year old tank I expected to see some "stuff" in the tank but I did not. It was spotless inside and the sock on the pump had the most minimal of debris on it. I was shocked at the cleanliness.

I think its also a safety issue. If there was a leak, the engine would probably keep running while gas was spraying out until it catches fire.

With a carb engine if the fuel filter was before the fuel pump and if the filter had a leak it would take in air. Engine would probably stop.

You all have sold me. I'm waving the proverbial white flag.

smile.gif

I don't think the safety risk is worth any minimal benefits.

Thank you for your opinions.

Ed

Originally Posted by Donald
...if your 200 miles into the desert and the only gas station for 200 miles is run buy a guy called "Dirty Moe" and when you look at him you know where they got the name from, then be careful buying gas. Especially if your his first customer this month and its the 30th of the month.

If you're 200 miles into the desert and you're even considering whether you need gas, then definitely buy from dirty Moe.

You are never ahead when you run out of gas 100 miles from civilization all while patting yourself on the back for not buying the only thing available.
cheers3.gif

A vehicle is a tool to accomplish a task. Especially when that task is to get across the desert safely....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back