Thoughts on 2005 Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests, any thoughts on 2005 pilot with ~200K.

Timing belt and transmission are the important ones, anything else I should be wary of? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I purchased a 2008 in 2010, the ex-wife still has it. Runs fine. I still change fluids on it. About 110k on it I believe. I did the TB back in 2016.
Little things but nothing major: Belt tensioner was squeaky a while back, had that replaced.
Alternator bearing was whining about 4 years ago, still charged. I replaced the whole unit.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs

Timing belt and transmission are the important ones, anything else I should be wary of? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

My brother in law has it. He is total anti talent for anything mechanical, including starting microwave. My in laws passed it to him. It smokes blue, maybe has 200k, but the fact that it survived his negligence tells a lot.

My dad had one that he traded for his Silverado.
He kept it to ~170k. At that point it wasn't in the best of shape, despite being taken care of... (not bad but not ideal either)
-peeling cosmetics (fake chrome trim, wheel caps, etc.)
-burned out dash lights
-trans shudder
-started burning oil
-had an appetite for tires and brakes
-rear a/c resistor crapped out early on
-speaker(s) blew despite not being used loudly

Just a point of reference, but it felt more tired at 170k than our Sienna does at 190k (and the Sienna is a family vehicle probably subjected to more abuse).
The Pilot was a good car for our family but it isn't really that big (5 average-sized people was actually pretty tight, not to mention a dog!)
The mileage was far from impressive (think 14/20, perhaps 23 best-case-scenario). He can get the same/better mileage with his V8 Silverado.
My dad really liked it for most of its life, though. I'd recommend one with these reservations!

thumbsup2.gif

For $2-3K it's a nice SUV if the tranny is good. The engine is good for well over 300,000 miles but few transmissions make it that far.

Originally Posted by atikovi

thumbsup2.gif

For $2-3K it's a nice SUV if the tranny is good. The engine is good for well over 300,000 miles but few transmissions make it that far.

Disagree-at 200,000 miles the useful life of that vehicle is nearing the end. IMHO.

Originally Posted by CKN

thumbsup2.gif

Disagree-at 200,000 miles the useful life of that vehicle is nearing the end. IMHO.

What are you disagreeing with? That a Honda J series can do 300,000 miles (which they can, to think otherwise is absurd) or that few transmissions make it that far (which given this is the 4 shaft, not the 3 shaft in the Odyssey/Accord, I'd agree with but be hopeful).

OP, get a mechanic to look at it. No one is going to provide useful insight to a vehicle over a decade old sight unseen.

Last edited:
I just sold mine at 214k with a well maintained, bad, disclosed transmission.

At high mileage the engine exhaust valves will be tight and in need of adjustment. I had mine done and they were all out of spec.

Look for bad air mix and blend door motors (clicking sounds), rebuilds are available on eBay.

Rocking drivers seat, fix involves removal, drilling out rivets, and fabricating a replacement metal plate with 4 holes.

Front compliance bushings are oil filled, go flat and leak when they are done. Look for oil stain.

Sagging rear springs. Sway bar bushings and sway bar end links.

Non-functional rear hvac, fix is usually a cheap resister, but can be another blower motor. Clean the hidden intake screen for prevention.

Rust of course.

Should have a new radiator by now. Mine went at 210k and may be what took out my transmission (coolant in the ATF).

It is old it may have some life left in it depending upon how it was cared for .rust etc. it could be a pos.

Originally Posted by CKN

thumbsup2.gif

Depends on how it was driven and maintained. Most any car these days can do 300K if the owner does frequent maintenance beyond what the owners manual says.

If it's been used for towing the tranny might be on its way out.

Does it have VCM? There could be worn out motor mounts too how much money on repairs are you willing to spend on it or can you do a lot of it yourself?

I would want maintenance records.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
If it's been used for towing the tranny might be on its way out.

Does it have VCM? There could be worn out motor mounts too how much money on repairs are you willing to spend on it or can you do a lot of it yourself?

I would want maintenance records.

Yep-pretty pick for considering a 200,000 mile vehicle.

Don't do it. Honda makes decent engines. Not much else. A 14 year old Honda Pilot has one useful purpose ... scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back