I'm beginning to hate tailgates on pickup trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my new job loading bags of concrete into customer vehicles all day, reaching over and across the open tailgate to place the concrete into the pickup bed is just asking for a back injury. I would much rather lift the concrete up over the tailgate with it closed rather than reach across it with it open. Just saying.

i was thinking the same when I was loading and unloading a bunch of 40 lb bags of garden lime.

Maybe they should make one that swings down or swings across. Just a little more complex hinges.

They could buy a new GMC Denali with they're fancy pants tail gate that unfolds like a step ladder starting at what....60K! Or remove the tail gate and install one of those off roading mesh type thingy tailgates.

The 77 Chev tailgate in my sig drops all the way down or can beheld with chains at level position.T he gmc cables can be disconnected to drop the gate to the bumper which would help only a little.

"With my new job loading bags of concrete into customer vehicles all day.......................................just asking for a back injury"

Your employer is just asking for an OSHA claim. There are devices to lift and load heavy items like that

Last edited:
It's a shame they don't make tailgates that close so you can do exactly that.
09.gif

Last edited:
With rolling the bags you run the risk of tearing them. It's better to pick them up and set them in place one time. Those bags are fragile compared to how much weight they have to hold. To make matters worse, they never use a slip sheet (sheet of cardboard) for the top of the pallet; so the bottom layer of bags usually get torn by the boards just by sitting there.

I am part owner of 5 x 8 aluminum trailer in adjacent neighborhood. No such issues at trailer loading height or removing the side to lower.

When I go to places like than for material, they will stack it on a pallet and use a forklift to raise it to bed height.

Just an idea,get a big piece of cardboard to lay on the tailgate and extend just a little into the bed then place bags on tailgate and slide them into the truck.

A friend gave me a sheet of a "hard, flexible" plastic for this exact purpose. If you had one at a store it would likely disappear (stolen) or get mislaid (cast aside because your fellow coworkers are two stupid to regard it as a tool and put it back).

Do I sound bitter and jaded? Well I am.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
With my new job loading bags of concrete into customer vehicles all day, reaching over and across the open tailgate to place the concrete into the pickup bed is just asking for a back injury. I would much rather lift the concrete up over the tailgate with it closed rather than reach across it with it open. Just saying.

If you guys do a lot of volume the owner would be better served if he had pallets and half-pallets along with a lift to load into the bays.

You can thank the fad of lifted trucks. Manufacturers followed this fad and the shifting demographics of the consumer. If you're old enough to remember, pickup trucks were mostly bought by farmers and actually had low beds so farmers could easily load and unload their stuff. Back then, girls wouldnt be caught dead going out with a guy in his truck. Since the 80s, trucks are difficult to use around the farm, but they sure look cool!

Originally Posted by gman2304
They could buy a new GMC Denali with they're fancy pants tail gate that unfolds like a step ladder starting at what....60K!

Oh yeah, the one that gets damaged if you have a trailer hitch attached! These are the people who won't let you slide things across the bed because it may scratch the paint.

Originally Posted by Kira
A friend gave me a sheet of a "hard, flexible" plastic for this exact purpose. If you had one at a store it would likely disappear (stolen) or get mislaid (cast aside because your fellow coworkers are two stupid to regard it as a tool and put it back).

Best idea if you don't have a Fork-Lift.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a piece of 'slippery' plastic (1/4" x 3' x 4') that I lay on my garage floor when I need to work under vehicle.
At 1/4" thick, I have more room as compared to using a Creeper.

If you suspect back problems in the future.
Do something NOW to prevent it. Talk to your Boss.

Last edited:
As a non US resident, I have a hard time seeing the point of pickup trucks...sure they look cool and all...but so expensive, gas guzzling for the little (all things relative) you can load in them. They can tow though, that I see the point.
I realize this post will probably get me some hate, but I'm not intending to criticize, just asking a real question, please educate me on trucks.

In my country we pretty much have only vans like Mercedes sprinter or similar, with different types of bed (closed, open like pickup, etc). In most you can put more stuff than in a (say) Ford F150 for example. Basically if you have special carrying needs you buy something like this and have something made to your needs, it's really modular :

[Linked Image]

With a standard driving license, can carry up to 3,5T (and I think up to 7 something meters long), above you need a truck license (different kinds), reinforced frame with twin wheels, etc.

They sure don't look cool, but came "cheap" with pretty much only diesel engines. They won't go fast, but the gas mileage is reasonable. No cool factor, it's a pure work utility vehicle...you can't really have this as a daily driver (well you can, but) like a truck, which has the versatility of being able to carry loads and be a cool daily driver at the same time. Also most have no real 4x4 ability (for the few available in 4x4).

Maybe I answered my own question ? LOL
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back