craigslist.org to start charging $5 to list a vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Would love to see the dealers and spam off of there. I think the dealers will still post. I worry it will eliminate great deals. I've scored some cheap cars off there over the years and I don't think owners would have posted them if it cost money.

I can live with dealers advertising, as long as they're not disguising themselves. It is funny to sometimes see the same dealer car on two different used item sites at two different prices.
wink.gif

And just like that, my free ad that was posted before the 15th is deleted by CL.

atikovi are you saying you paid the $5 and still can't renew (meaning you have to pay $5 every time you want to be at the top)? If so CL is the newest victim of my ban hammer.

Originally Posted by atikovi
You can't repost an ad now every few day so it's at the top without paying another $5

I'm uncertain if charging will eliminate scams and dealer ads, latter more than former

My guess is that very few cars will list from individuals and dealers will just pay to play
(Considering I've never been able to sell a car for even for $500 on said site)

Just looked can't even separate owner and dealer ads and still a lot of junk for sale locally, will see if traffic dies as reality of poor sales set in.

Last edited:
So now where does one go to list a car for sale for free?!? I'll join Facebook when someone digs me up and forces my bones to press the join button. I tried all the common sites, and even ones I've never heard of. Nothing free. Looks like I'm forced to sell it the old fashioned way, by parking it in a high visibility area and hoping someone is interested.

Party like it's 1989.
57.gif

If $5 is too much, then your car is a POS and a car-shaped pile of parts anyway, so the ad really belongs under auto parts which remains free
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tony1679
So now where does one go to list a car for sale for free?!? I'll join Facebook when someone digs me up and forces my bones to press the join button. I tried all the common sites, and even ones I've never heard of. Nothing free. Looks like I'm forced to sell it the old fashioned way, by parking it in a high visibility area and hoping someone is interested.

You get what you pay for. Chances of selling a car on the street like that is slim unless you're just about giving it away. A few interested people a day might see it compared to hundreds online, not to mention many cities ticketing cars with for sale signs on public property. If you're too cheap to spend five bucks for an ad, gotta wonder what you are selling. I spend over $100 a pop for a 10 day run on Ebay for even a $3,000 car, and it may take 2 or 3 tries.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If $5 is too much, then your car is a POS and a car-shaped pile of parts anyway, so the ad really belongs under auto parts which remains free
smile.gif

It's better than the old days of $40 for a two line three day listing with no picture in the newspaper classifieds.

Originally Posted by Garak

It's better than the old days of $40 for a two line three day listing with no picture in the newspaper classifieds.

01.gif

I told my god daughter about this today. She was shocked that things were that way. You tried to sell an old pounder that you got for next to nothing, do a clean up, then get it out the door for $250 to $500, you don't get bites on your original ad, all of a sudden your into $80 or $120 for advertising alone and the profit plan gets dicey.
wink.gif
Now, you see guys with a dozen or more high quality pictures and a description that doesn't require an acronym dictionary to decipher.

I don't miss those days. I was way too broke back then to even enquire what a photo ad with enough lines for real words would have cost. As an aside, I don't think our newspaper even has classifieds any longer, aside from legal notices and obituaries. That's one giant revenue stream that went down the toilet on them.

$5 is incredible price for exposure you get.

My wife's old car on Craigslist got people across USA interested mainly due rarity of cult classic vehicle despite old.

It was sold via CL from a buyer from WY cash ($2200 dripping oil) in NH parking lot.

Sign technique does work but I think it's for the lost people generation not using a computer or smartphone in modern USA. A tiny subset of people. A local guy does this exposure for fee on busy road and I see people looking at people's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back