Google Fi and Pixel 3 - any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been running LG G3's on US Cellular for a LONG time. Been wanting to upgrade, but couldn't sort out all the carriers.

Saw reviews for the Pixel 3's, and then saw Google Fi prices were low (we don't do much data). A couple days ago, there was a one-day sale, and I got a Pixel 3 128 GB, and a Pixel 3 XL 64 GB for $449, each, with Fi signup. I thought that was a good deal. Both are unlocked, so we can move carriers if we need to.

I know we could have gone for much cheaper phones, and a pay-as-you-go plan, but price wasn't much of an obstacle.

Whatcha all think about the phones/plan?

Seems good for people who don't use a ton of data... I average about 20-25gb a month. If I were to switch back to android, the only phone I'd consider would be the Pixels due to them getting timely updates. Unlocked phones are always a good thing as well.

I'm on Google Fi with a Pixel 2 XL, have been for about a year. No complaints, and service works seamlessly in every country I have "visited" so far.

Nice phone (not a bottom feeder Android people come here to self justify) and great service for low data users. Let us know how it goes.

Google fi is great. I pay for my parents to both have phones through Google fi and I have friends that use it as well.....its great...no complaints and I will switch to them when my contract is up.

We have been with Fi since it's inception....it was Project Fi back then. We have zero complaints but make sure that one or more of the three providers they use is prevalent in your area. I would love the P3 but even on that one day 50% off sale it was too rich for my blood.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
We've been running LG G3's on US Cellular for a LONG time. Been wanting to upgrade, but couldn't sort out all the carriers.

Saw reviews for the Pixel 3's, and then saw Google Fi prices were low (we don't do much data). A couple days ago, there was a one-day sale, and I got a Pixel 3 128 GB, and a Pixel 3 XL 64 GB for $449, each, with Fi signup. I thought that was a good deal. Both are unlocked, so we can move carriers if we need to.

I know we could have gone for much cheaper phones, and a pay-as-you-go plan, but price wasn't much of an obstacle.

Whatcha all think about the phones/plan?

I have been on Google Fi for several years and its a great package. I have a Pixel 3 XL and like the phone.

I've been on FI since December, I had $400 in credits from purchasing (2) pixel 3 phones

Service works decently. Its tmob+sprint The t-mobile lower frequency bands REALLY helps the rural coverage compared to a few years back.

The only downer is the data @$10/GB. It should be closer to $5

Republic wireless and other MVNO can sell it at $5.. yet google fi is still on 5 year old data pricing.

My phone flaked out once and used 500MB+ of data before I noticed (in an hour) and it was googles app that was using it.. and then they charging me $5 in data because their app wigged out.

I much prefer a 5GB/month or other flat rate pricing because the pay as you go makes me watch data use too much.

I also tried out the pixel VPN which it says increases data use by 10-15%, In one day that app used 115MB, and my data use for all other apps was 40MB.. so not sure what happened there.(basically it increased data use by 300%) and I'm not going to try that out on my dime. If I had a flat rate plan I would have let it go for a few days to see the usage.

I still have $160 in credits.. bills are around $80-90 for 2 phones and using wi-fi when possible. Most likely go back to cricket or possibly total wireless, at&t prepaid depending on their offers in 2 months.

Cricket is 70$ for 2 phones all in(tax fees etc), and I usually get some kind of deal on their recharge cards to reduce that by another 10-25%

One of the great google fi positives is data and phone works everywhere.. at your regular price.. no fees/charges

I also was a Fi early adopter years ago, and cannot say enough good about it. It is the only plan out there that just seems honest. Pay for what you use. Period. You might consider re-evaluating your priorities if you're running 10gig of data through a smartphone every month.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the responses. Looks like my current USC signal is the worst, with TM and Sprint both at 4G LTE.

Google doesn't update your purchase pipeline, so I can't tell if they shipped it yet. My CC was charged, so I should see the phones in a few days per their claims to not charge till shipped. Looking forward to wireless charging for wife, who can't remember to charge the LG.

Love the new tech!

You should read how to use the pixel night sight (taking photos in very low/no light). Even if you never have a use for it you should try it out a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back