Volvo Engine Architecture - RBS0-2AE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a new 2018 Volvo V40 D3 on the weekend with the new VEA engine.

Out of curiosity, what is the OCI on the VEA engines in the US? Mine is apparently good for 18,000miles or 1 year on the 0w20 RBS0-2AE oil.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dubious about running a diesel engine with an EGR and DPF for 18k on a 0w20 oil. But, I'm sure Volvo have done a ton of testing and the engine will outlast the car.

As I know very little about this engine, does anyone know if they have a variable oil pump or VCT or something that may stop me using a Dexos2 0w30 or 0w40 in the long term?

Will you do 18k miles in a year though? If not, the point is moot.

We have a new XC60 D4, currently about 10 months through its first oil charge, so due a service in a few weeks by which time it'll be at around 12k miles. Pretty sure we'll be sticking with the RBS0-2AE oil as long as we own it, given it was designed with the engine (and the fuel economy is not great even on the 0W-20).

Also, if it helps others identify with the engine, "VEA" is known outwardly as the "Drive-E" engine series.

Originally Posted by weasley
the fuel economy is not great even on the 0W-20.

This is a common misconception; thicker oils do NOT impact mileage as much as you would think. Over the lifetime of an engine, all driving habits and environments considered, you're talking fractions of 1% or MAYBE just a hair more. The entire difference really between thin/thick oils is ALL related to cold oil on startup- as pointed out many times, even a 20W50 at operating temp is many times thinner than a cold 0W20.

I'm not saying disregard the owner's manual while under warranty; just know that if you used a 0W30 or 5W30 you may give up a tenth or two in mileage, but gain some viscosity to help keep those metal parts separated.
banana2.gif

Cheers guys.

I do 30k-35k a year. So yes, enough for it to cause me bother.

If I do go up a viscosity or two it will be after the warranty is up and gradually with UOA to back it up. Maybe do 2 UOA's on 0w20, then go to a 0w30 or 5w30 ACEA C2 oil and providing the UOA's come back okay, step up to a 0w30 ACEA C3 which is where I'd be comfortable.

I'm still not convinced by 18k oil changes. I think a UOA or two just to keep my mind at rest will be done.

As a Volvo owner don't give Volvo more credit than they deserve . They have made many major screw UPS in the last few years that you would think their engineer's and quality control might have caught .

How many oil options do you have with that specification? I'd find the cheapest option and change it at least every 10k if it were my car. Automakers have many incentives to stretch OCIs that run counter to engine protection and longevity (total cost of ownership figure, cheaper to offer free maintenance, convenience)... they just need it to last past the powertrain warranty.

Edit: looks like Liqui-Moly Special Tec V may be your best value option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
How many oil options do you have with that specification? I'd find the cheapest option and change it at least every 10k if it were my car. Automakers have many incentives to stretch OCIs that run counter to engine protection and longevity (total cost of ownership figure, cheaper to offer free maintenance, convenience)... they just need it to last past the powertrain warranty.

Edit: looks like Liqui-Moly Special Tec V may be your best value option.

There's a few options. Fuchs, Liquimoly, Comma, Shell, Motul, Millers Oils and Havoline.

Interestingly other than the Millers Oils they all have Volvo approvals. Millers Oils is a bit like a British version of Amsoil, they don't really don't really do approvals but make some great products. The other interesting point is some claim to be ACEA C2, some ACEA C5 and some ACEA A1/B1.

All the oils are between £8 to £10 a litre. When you consider my current favourite Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL 5w40 is £5/litre or even Castrol Edge 0w30 Dexos 2 which is a Group 4 synthetic is £7.80/litre this RBS0-2AE specification is bloody expensive!

Originally Posted by Kjmack
As a Volvo owner don't give Volvo more credit than they deserve . They have made many major screw UPS in the last few years that you would think their engineer's and quality control might have caught .

Clearly you do not, nor have you ever owned a Volvo.
If you have, you'd know what your saying is blasphemous.

Volvo has and always will build wonderfully reliable, sporty, comfortable and safe vehicles.
Anyone who says otherwise is a bold-faced liar!
29.gif

Shame on you!
I say "Good day!" to you sir!
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Kjmack

Clearly you do not, nor have you ever owned a Volvo.
If you have, you'd know what your saying is blasphemous.

Volvo has and always will build wonderfully reliable, sporty, comfortable and safe vehicles.
Anyone who says otherwise is a bold-faced liar!
29.gif

Shame on you!
I say "Good day!" to you sir!
mad.gif

lol You are funny .

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
There's a few options. Fuchs, Liquimoly, Comma, Shell, Motul, Millers Oils and Havoline.

Not forgetting the factory-fill supplier, Castrol.

Originally Posted by weasley

Not forgetting the factory-fill supplier, Castrol.

Struggling to find a decent supplier. I'd also like to see the German label to see if it's a Group 3 or Group 4 oil.

If I could find a Group 4 oil meeting this specification I'd probably stick to that one.

Castrol Edge 0w30 Dexos 2 which is a Group 4

Wish we could get that in Australia. All our castrol oils come from Malaysia (except 0W40 BMW diesel oil and VW504 spec oil,)

Looks Like Shell do a compliant oil in the UK: Shell Helix Ultra 0W20 AS-L

18k miles is near as makes no difference 29k kms. That kind of distance on a single sump of oil for a small turbo diesel with a small sump is definitely pushing the limits of technology. if you've doing big kms on the motorway you might be better off jsut setting a calendar reminder to have the oil changed every 6-months. Might not be at 18k miles, but a regular schedule is easy to work around (if it's a (as i suspect) a business vehicle.

Regards
Jordan

Helix Ultra 0W20 AS-L Volvo Spec.png

The car was 8 months old with 8500miles on the clock when I bought it. I also paid half the list price, £32,000 new and I bought it 8 months old for £16,000. Scary! I wouldn't like to be fronting the cost of that depreciation.

The car has had it's first service by the dealer early. I shall keep it in there for 10k and get a UOA done. Providing it comes back okay I shall stick with the Volvo approved oils and 10k intervals till the warranty is up. After that I'll slowly go thicker using UOA's to back up any decisions I make.

My only concern currently with going thicker is the variable oil pump, unsure if that should even be a concern.

Just bringing up this old thread of mine, my car is due it's 'intermediate' oil change in the coming weeks. There's no way I'm leaving a Euro 6 diesel with an EGR and DPF and a 5 litre oil capacity go 18,000miles without an oil change. As it's coming up to 10,000miles/6 months since I purchased it so going to get an oil change done.

The VEA engines are modular, they all use the same basic block, crank, rods etc and then the head and pistons are different depending on if it's a petrol or diesel, turbo is sized according for power output etc.

Looking at the US manual for a Volvo car with a VEA engine and it recommends an A5/B5 lube in 0w30 or 5w30 flavour. It then suggests for extreme driving you should use an RBS0-2AE oil which only comes in 0w20 flavour. This is bizarre and goes against everything I believe in as I would always go up a viscosity for extreme driving and not down.

The UK manual says RBS0-2AE only.

I wonder why this is? I personally wonder if it's just to accommodate the type of people who just go to a jiffy lube type of place which we don't really have here in the UK? Or was it more to do with dealers not wanting another oil to purchase with the older engines using a 0w30 or 5w30 A5/B5 lube? Or is it because of the lack of low sulphur petrol in some parts of the US?

This has settled my nerves slightly in terms of using a thicker oil than recommended in my manual. I have enough Castrol Edge 0w30 Dexos2 in my garage to do an oil change on this which is an oil I purchased for my Wife's previous car. It's a Group 4 mid-saps oil with Dexos2, LL04 and VW 502/505.01 approval. Unless of course, someone can come up with a good reason why I shouldn't?

V90.PNG

V40 1.PNG

V40 2.PNG

+1
I think the special Volvo oil has something "special" (pardon the pun) for the gas engines, but I don't remember what exactly (carbon deposits ?).

As for manuals...maybe there is a bigger scheme, but it's often like that between US/NA and Europe/other countries. The US manual of my Mazda says 5W20 is the only oil approved. Euro manual says 5W40 or 10W40. Same engine...shorter OCI in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back