17 Sportage hard start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi bitog community again.
Have had this problem since the car was brand new, decided to ask maybe you'll have any theories.

I have this weird issue with the car, it will randomly hesitate to start. Not sure how to explain, but it feels somewhat like the car tries hard to start with a bad battery, with the only difference I have this issue since around a week after I bought the vehicle when my battery was brand new, and recently after the battery died and I've got a new OEM one at my dealer and this issue still remains.
Weird thing is that it's hard to reproduce - sometimes it won't happen for weeks, sometimes it's happening every other day. It doesn't matter if it's cold or warm, morning or evening, regular or premium gas, 5w20 or 5w30, OEM filter or aftermarket filter - I've tried it all and wasn't able to eliminate. One note here - it never actually failed to start, and after it starts I have no issues. But every time it happens, it's just so scary even my wife is concerned now (and trust me she's not into cars usually)

I found the similar thread here https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t66994_ds777528 but it goes nowhere.
Brought it to the dealer in CA once, but they were not able to find anything.
Will appreciate any feedback.
Thx

Last edited:
Have you changed the batteries in your key fob?
Have you checked the battery cables on both ends to see if they are tight, with no corrosion?

Last edited:
My sister in law just lost the engine on hers, Waited 2 months for replacement - under warranty.

Hope this isnt your problem.. If its hard cranking it could be a bad starter, high impedance relay, or - -coolant in the engine.

I would get long cranking in the spring due to winter gas on warm days - vapour "lock"

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My sister in law just lost the engine on hers, Waited 2 months for replacement - under warranty.

I bet she doesnt let you drive her car again
crackmeup2.gif

Joking aside, I would check the battery cables are tight since it was just replaced.
otherwise you pretty much have to wait it out under warranty since its so random.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Hi bitog community again.
Have had this problem since the car was brand new, decided to ask maybe you'll have any theories.

I have this weird issue with the car, it will randomly hesitate to start. Not sure how to explain, but it feels somewhat like the car tries hard to start with a bad battery, with the only difference I have this issue since around a week after I bought the vehicle when my battery was brand new, and recently after the battery died and I've got a new OEM one at my dealer and this issue still remains.
Weird thing is that it's hard to reproduce - sometimes it won't happen for weeks, sometimes it's happening every other day. It doesn't matter if it's cold or warm, morning or evening, regular or premium gas, 5w20 or 5w30, OEM filter or aftermarket filter - I've tried it all and wasn't able to eliminate. One note here - it never actually failed to start, and after it starts I have no issues. But every time it happens, it's just so scary even my wife is concerned now (and trust me she's not into cars usually)

I found the similar thread here https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t66994_ds777528 but it goes nowhere.
Brought it to the dealer in CA once, but they were not able to find anything.
Will appreciate any feedback.
Thx

Does it crank over slowly like a weak battery? If so it could be a bad spot on the starter's contacts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I bet she doesnt let you drive her car again
crackmeup2.gif

Joking aside, I would check the battery cables are tight since it was just replaced.
otherwise you pretty much have to wait it out under warranty since its so random.

Hmmm, I did ride in it once - in the back.
Is this all it takes for the spell to take hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back