ABS wheel sensor issue caused cruise control issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2008 Sebring Convertible had an ABS light on. Code said it was the passenger front wheel sensor. I bought the part but hadn't installed it yet.

She also had a cruise control issue. Pushing the button did nothing and the cruise light wouldn't come on. When I disconnected the battery the cruise would work briefly then not work again. Of course the ABS light would light again.

I finally installed the wheel sensor and lo and behold the cruise works fine now.

I never would have thought the bad wheel sensor would shut down the cruise.

I never put the two together because she rarely uses the cruise so realizing it went out about the time the ABS light came on didn't occur to me.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, many systems work together and your CC/ABS it seems, is one of them. This could be a safety thing for the driver and a system that the Chrysler tech would know/diagnose.

The malfunction indication lights mean that the car needs service. It isn't like a spacecraft where systems would be designed to isolate trouble and keep everything else working as normally as possible. Actually it's the opposite, they want to encourage the owner to return to the dealer.

Last edited:
Norma,l just possibly Chyrsler too lazy to have the cruise light blinking when system was in error.

Speed sensor and some CEL on Subaru and Acura both cause the cruise to be disabled.

How else do you think the cruise knows the speed of vehicle besides the speed sensors?

Last edited:
I had a 2002 Cadillac Seville that out of the blue the cruise control stopped working. Ended up having both brake light bulbs burned out. I replaced the bulbs and the cruise was working again. That was a head scratcher

Don

Originally Posted by madRiver
Norma,l just possibly Chyrsler too lazy to have the cruise light blinking when system was in error.

Speed sensor and some CEL on Subaru and Acura both cause the cruise to be disabled.

How else do you think the cruise knows the speed of vehicle besides the speed sensors?

Is there a speed sensor in the transmission ?

I had the brake lite switch fail twice on a Chevy truck . The CC was not working but part of the time .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by madRiver

Is there a speed sensor in the transmission ?

There is however way better/accurate information of what is actually happening at the wheels especially non driven ones from speed sensors.

ABS is standard for a long time so using that data is way more accurate. The wheel speed sensor has many functions including traction control, cruise control and also stability control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back